Imagine Pink Floyd as Gilmour-Mason-Wright since 1968

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Imagine Pink Floyd as Gilmour-Mason-Wright since 1968

Post by Kerry King »

As if they were not far more hungry in 1968. What motivation was there after Division Bell,? But like I said, imagine whatever you want. I don't care. If you think Gilmour couldn't have made it without Waters, all I can say is Waters was not much without Gilmour and Barrett. Delusions are free. Speculation is speculation. Stuff like Corporal Clegg and Stethoscope are crap.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Yucateco wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:56 am Done after two albums, just like in real life....
Roger's own output has been slow and not exactly steady. Judging by Music from The Body, his career wouldn't have gotten far if not carried by an impressive vehicle. He'd likely have found himself somewhere between Roy Harper and Ron Geesin in terms of popularity.

Even an early Gilmour/Mason/Wright version of the band would've had access to Syd's existing songs, and potentially his later songs, most of which were produced by Gilmour and Wright; Rick had even said he considered leaving the group to continue working with Syd. Rick was also the one wanting to move in a more avant garde direction and work on film soundtracks, so "Celestial Voices" would've happened with or without Roger's diagrams. Dave was also responsible for bringing in the EMS synth prototypes (not to mention Storm Thorgerson and Dick Parry). More, Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother would have turned out only marginally different - and the same for Meddle. Dave would've recruited Rick Wills, and "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" would have an actual bass line. Gilmour was used to working in a trio, but considering how well he and Wright worked together, I think they would've arrived at the sound of Wish You Were Here much sooner.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Wolfpack wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:44 pm An attempt to list all titles without any official credit to Barrett and/or Waters, 1968-1994.
Prior to Atom Heart Mother, any instrumental that they all played on was credited to all four of them. The suite was split into five parts, and Waters isn't credited on three of them.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:11 pmIf you think Gilmour couldn't have made it without Waters [...]
No, I'm just listing every title without any official credit to Barrett and/or Waters.
As if Pink Floyd in 1968, began like Pink Floyd 1987. Gilmour, Mason and Wright.

Just an investigation of what Gilmour, Mason and Wright made without any credit to Barrett/Waters.
And what they themselves could have made as Pink Floyd, using their solo work as indication.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:30 pmEven an early Gilmour/Mason/Wright version of the band would've had access to Syd's existing songs, and potentially his later songs, most of which were produced by Gilmour and Wright; Rick had even said he considered leaving the group to continue working with Syd.
Well, okay let's also include Barrett's limited solo works. It's just for fun - anything without Waters.
A 1970 'Animals' album with 'Effervescing Elephant' (maybe divided in part one and two), 'Birdy Hop', 'Rats', 'Wolfpack', 'Maisie' ("bride of a bull").
As if Waters left, while Barrett stayed at least up to 'Atom Heart Mother' - with the motorcycle sound he wanted in 'Rhamadan'.

Anything without any official credit to Waters.
As if he was fired instead of Barrett, or together with Barrett. Getting rid of annoying members. :P
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:44 pmPrior to Atom Heart Mother, any instrumental that they all played on was credited to all four of them. The suite was split into five parts, and Waters isn't credited on three of them.
- Father's Shout (0:00–2:50) (Gilmour, Geesin)
- Breast Milky (2:50–5:23) (Wright, Gilmour, Geesin, Mason)
- Mother Fore (5:23–10:13) (Gilmour, Wright, Geesin)
- Remergence (19:12–23:44) (Gilmour, Geesin, Wright)

Thanks for adding these Watersless titles!
Last edited by Wolfpack on Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Wolfpack wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:03 pm Thanks for adding these Watersless titles!
Good catch - it's actually 4 out of 6 parts of the suite that do not credit Roger. There are plenty of other instrumentals that he was credited on that would've happened without him anyway. And I was only suggesting that they might retain Syd as a songwriter as initially intended, or simply perform some of their friend's new songs as they pursued separate careers.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Second album, without Waters-credits:
- Remember a Day (Wright)
- Paint Box (Wright)
- It Would Be So Nice (Wright)
- See-Saw (Wright)
With Barrett:
- Jugband Blues (Barrett)
- Vegetable Man (Barrett)
- Scream Thy Last Scream* (Barrett)

* unfinished recording...

Maybe 'Set the Controls' would have been just an instrumental backing track.
The 1967 BBC Radio recording as an indication of what Waters' vocals would have been like. (Which is more than 'In the Beechwoods', anyway.)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:11 pm If you think Gilmour couldn't have made it without Waters, all I can say is Waters was not much without Gilmour and Barrett.
Agreed - Roger has even said that he really didn't start taking himself seriously and applying himself until 1971, at which point he had a successful band at his disposal. And dispose of it he did. The album where he contributed the least was their first #1; that says a lot.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I'd like to think that early Gilmour/Mason/Wright would've performed expanded versions of "Dominoes" and "Long Gone", and I have a hunch they'd do "Octopus" as well.