Divisive thread alert

Post by dj865 »

Why not eh <ii>
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Divisive thread alert

Post by Keith Jordan »

Both have their plusses and negatives. I lean towards the final cut.

P.S Be respectful of different opinions, no arguing! :lol:
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I still think Roger is a bastard and how the ##£# did he even walk into a "Solo album plus Pink Floyd' contract anyway?
The Endless River better than 80's and even late 70's. That divisive.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:17 pm I still think Roger is a bastard and how the ##£# did he even walk into a "Solo album plus Pink Floyd' contract anyway?
The Endless River better than 80's and even late 70's. That divisive.
Was wondering who would bite first, expected Ziggyzipgun if I'm honest 😂
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

side swerve AMLOR is better then The Division Bell
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:17 pm I still think Roger is a bastard and how the ##£# did he even walk into a "Solo album plus Pink Floyd' contract anyway?
Roger is a bastard and it is fucking hilarious that the agreement he signed to get When the Wind Blows released (which he jumped on when Bowie backed out) negated all future efforts to stop Pink Floyd from moving on without him. Also, About Face is better than Amused to Death.
JohnColtrane
Embryo
Embryo

Post by JohnColtrane »

I didn't vote as I really like both albums, but go to them for different reasons and for a different mood. Sorry to be a fence sitter - but that's my position!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

azza200 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:51 pm side swerve AMLOR is better then The Division Bell
Ooh now that IS a divisive statement, but one I can see validity in (though I will always prefer Division Bell).
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:58 am
azza200 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:51 pm side swerve AMLOR is better then The Division Bell
Ooh now that IS a divisive statement, but one I can see validity in (though I will always prefer Division Bell).
As an album it has a good flow TDB is a bit stop start and feels it drags at time. Sorrow and High Hopes are both excellent ending songs on their albums
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

azza200 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:18 am As an album it has a good flow TDB is a bit stop start and feels it drags at time.
Hmm, interesting point. I've never been too bothered by the flow of Division Bell myself, but I can see an argument for it being a little bit stop-and-start. I think for me it's pretty obvious it was put together with the cassette format in mind - "Wearing the Inside Out" is beyond obviously an "end of side one" track, and "Take It Back" is obviously a "beginning of side two" track. The translation still works on the 2LP set (possibly better - "Lost for Words" sounds perfectly situated at the beginning of Side D), but on a CD I can see how it might be seen as a bit stop-and-start. Again, personally I've never really had an issue with it, but it's interesting to think about.
But you're absolutely right about Momentary Lapse. For any flaws it might have it flows exceptionally well, so much so that I can forgive it the sins of whatever the "A New Machine" tracks are.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

"A New Machine" (both parts) are the highlight of the album, for me, followed by "Signs of Life" and "Sorrow", since thry all take the same melody and use it in very different ways - and not unconsciously or for a lack of ideas, like "Wait for Her" using "Have a Cigar".
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

While the highlights of The Final Cut are great, on a day to day basis I’m listening to Momentary Lapse 10:1. The Final Cut is depressing and honestly I don’t relate to the content.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

have been a fan since 2002 and have never seen anyone become a fan thru The Final Cut while AMLOR has introduced more people too the band
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I feel that the FInal Cut has certainly aged more gracefully. While it's subject matter is definitely specific to the early 80's in the UK, the production holds up incredibly well. I still maintain it is technically the best recorded album that Pink Floyd released as far as the fidelity and mix. In terms of sound, I can't think of something that sounds LESS like it was recorded in 1982. The vocals in particular were extremely well recorded. AMLOR on the other hand is very much a product of its time and is perhaps the most dated sounding release in Floyd's discography aside from their very earliest recordings in the 60's. I see that the Waters vs Gilmour debate still rages on which honestly amuses me. We've been having the same conversation here for decades and it never changes.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:59 pm I feel that the FInal Cut has certainly aged more gracefully. While it's subject matter is definitely specific to the early 80's in the UK, the production holds up incredibly well. I still maintain it is technically the best recorded album that Pink Floyd released as far as the fidelity and mix. In terms of sound, I can't think of something that sounds LESS like it was recorded in 1982. The vocals in particular were extremely well recorded. AMLOR on the other hand is very much a product of its time and is perhaps the most dated sounding release in Floyd's discography aside from their very earliest recordings in the 60's. I see that the Waters vs Gilmour debate still rages on which honestly amuses me. We've been having the same conversation here for decades and it never changes.
exactly that, people are still stuck in that mind set and repeating the same thing's even now and only a few minority have changed their opinion on the post waters era thanks too the The Later Year's release and grown too like it & have changed their past opinion and like the songs/albums and tours after dis crediting them for what they are & seeing Roger for what he really is.