Radio KAOS
36%

Total votes: 33

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

A Momentary Lapse of Reason vs Radio KAOS

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Original or remix; original running order or "Project" whatever.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason vs Radio KAOS

Post by Kerry King »

Neither. At least Kaos wasn't being passed off as pink floyd. It still sucks, though. Pink Floyd had the better band. That isn't saying much. No vote.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The Final Cut shouldn't have been passed off as Pink Floyd either. At least Gilmour didn't resort to extortion to get his way.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

No...that was the record company which did that! :lol: :lol:
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:05 am The Final Cut shouldn't have been passed off as Pink Floyd either. At least Gilmour didn't resort to extortion to get his way.
Tfc has Gilmour AND Waters together. That's Pink Floyd enough for me. Plus, it has some great songs that don't sound like they're drowning in digital frosting.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:08 pmTfc has Gilmour AND Waters together. That's Pink Floyd enough for me.
I'm not sure it counts when one of them thinks it's dogshit.
Last edited by ZiggyZipgun on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

The obvious difference for me is that I loved Lapse the first time I heard it.

It took a long time to really get into and get KAOS...and in the end... It's what I prefer.

It's totally insane and bloated...but so's The Wall.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

Momentary Lapse all the way I can listen to it beginning to end once a week. I don’t hate Radio Kaos but only listen to it once every 5 years or so.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:51 pm
Kerry King wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:08 pmTfc has Gilmour AND Waters together. That's Pink Floyd enough for me.
I'm not sure it counts when one of them thinks it's dogshit.
He doesn't think his solos are dogshit.

TFC is so much better than these two lame albums. I feel silly even discussing it. Folks who discovered pf through AMLOR are just about the only ones whose perspectives are skewed enough to think it's a great pf album.

On the other hand, The Tide Is Turning is one of the worst songs ever recorded.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I'm not particularly fond of either record; both sound terribly dated production-wise and fall victim to many of the pop tropes of the late 80's. If forced to pick I'll give a slight nod to Radio Kaos. It at least possesses what Frank Zappa called "conceptual continuity". Radio Kaos is at least ABOUT something...even if the concept is ridiculous. AMLOR certainly contains several decent songs, but the whole thing just feels like a shallow approximation of what used to be Pink Floyd. Any soul those songs contained was crushed by the dreadful dated production. I hate it.

The Final Cut is in different league compared to both records. It really isn't even appropriate for that record to be part of this discussion. It's much better recorded, polished, and less dated sounding than either records relevant to this topic. And despite what some say, Gilmour has never indicated that The Final Cut is "dog shit". He's rather suggested he wasn't happy with the direction the record took, and that the politics/lyrics were improperly balanced with the music. He's had very complimentary things to say about certain aspects of The FInal Cut. At least The Final Cut was recorded with real passion, even if Waters was the only one passionate about it.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

[-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-]

Well stated, sir!
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Gilmour did concede that The Final Cut had "three good songs" but also said the rest included "cheap filler of the kind we hadn't put on a Pink Floyd album in years." He has said worse about The Wall over the years, however.

None of Pink Floyd's first seven albums had any "conceptual continuity"; must be why nobody likes those.

Roger could write about the same thing for the rest of his life (and pretty much has); would that somehow make his entire catalog better? Or, as Rick would say, "Oh, not again!"

The Frog's "Grandma's Sitting in the Corner with a Penis in Her Hand Going 'No, No, No, No, No'" is ABOUT something, and is thematically consistent with the rest of the album and their larger body of work, but...does that make it good?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ But where would you be tonight if not for Roger Waters?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Pink Floyd would've fallen off the map if Gilmour hadn't kept them going without Waters. It sounds ridiculous, but so is fucking Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell which has sold more copies than Dark Side if the Moon. Waters would never have attempted another solo tour if Pink Floyd hadn't undertaken two massive world tours without him. No one at Live 8 would've given a shit if they'd simply ceased to exist in 1985. Roger Waters sold out the name with The Wall, repackaging Tommy with radio-friendly disco shtick, and promptly ran it into the ground with The Final Cut. He took a band that was ahead of its time and walked it back ten years to rehash John Cale's Paris 1919. He then took what should've been a promising solo career and tanked that as well. If it weren't for A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Roger Waters wouldn't have an audience today.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 am ^ But where would you be tonight if not for Roger Waters?
Either way, I spent the day listening to Paris 1919 and Vintage Violence. There probably is a John Cale forum, but his work speaks for itself and I've never seen him crying for access to the Velvet Underground's Facebook page like a twat.