Is this the life we really want VS Rattle that lock

Post by dj865 »

Oh yes people, it's here, battle royale
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Is this the life we really want VS Rattle that lock

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Will listen to both and get back to you. Will listen tomorrow as I've stuff to do tonight! :-;
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Rattle That Lock
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Rattle That Lock is objectively bad.

Is this The Life We Really Want was the best Pink Floyd album in 35 years.

Easy choise.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Given Roger's comments on how little involvement he had making the album and the that the more uptempo tracks were "throwaway songs" written at Nigel's insistence, there's no contest. Godrich wasn't interested in making the concept album/radioplay that he'd been working on, so I think a good portion of the other songs were ones that Roger didn't particularly care about and had no plans of fitting into a concept down the road. Rattle That Lock is thoroughly enjoyable.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The mix on Is This The Life We Really Want is awful
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Fifty-fifty split!

According to Zippy, this means that both albums are equally AMAZEBALLS!!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I voted Rattle That Lock, but it was a closer vote than I expected for me.
I will always lean more to David Gilmour's work as a rule, but Rattle That Lock for me his weakest album. I do still really love some of the tracks ("Faces of Stone", "In Any Tongue"), but as an album it doesn't flow particularly well and the production choice of having every single song fade out is one that, once I noticed, is overly distracting to me. It's definitely an album that benefitted from a live rendition - the Pompeii version of "In Any Tongue" is pretty damn good for example.
Now, Is This the Life We Really Want? has a very good flow to it, and Nigel Godrich's production is for my money pretty good (Radiohead runs a close second for me in the music department, so I have a bias to Godrich's production there admittedly). However it also succeeds in being... I don't know. Much of it is just Waters pontificating over music (especially on the title track), and as a listener that's not particularly engaging. It's also a bit boring in places - "Broken Bones" and "The Most Beautiful Girl" being the worst offenders. And thinking of "Broken Bones", the references to Pink Floyd songs of old are the most mixed bag ever - the synth interlude on "Bird in a Gale" is kinda neat, but the cough at the beginning of "Broken Bones" is a massive "oh come on" moment.
In general, I'll take Rattle That Lock any day.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Waters likes to signal his virtue. Which means that he actually has very little.

I notice that he's still bitching about capitalism while also still being a capitalist.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

mosespa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:56 am Waters likes to signal his virtue. Which means that he actually has very little.

I notice that he's still bitching about capitalism while also still being a capitalist.
Virtue signaling?

Oh boy oh boy.

Welp...being as we're living in a capitalist society, one has to work within it in order to change it.

HOW DARE HE TAKE A SALARY IN A WORLD WHERE YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT A SALARY!!!

:)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

battra wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:58 pm

1. Welp...being as we're living in a capitalist society, one has to work within it in order to change it.

2. HOW DARE HE TAKE A SALARY IN A WORLD WHERE YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT A SALARY!!!

:)
1. Yeah...that's what every opportunistic hypocrite says. I prefer to BE the change I want to see in the world, rather than just talking about it.

2. He can take a salary; there's nothing wrong with that. But everything else...well, isn't he supposed to be "redistributing it equally" amongst his staff and crew? Shouldn't his lowly roadies be getting just as big of a share as he gets?
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

A collection of mediocre guitar solos with trivial lyrics vs. the best Floyd related release since 1983

Is this the competition we really want?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

A half-assed album assembled, arranged, and performed by fanboys, or an album that the artist actually wanted to make and took the time to do so?
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:55 pm A half-assed album assembled, arranged, and performed by fanboys, ?
Even if what you say is true (which clearly it isn't) but just say it is, who cares? So what. Roger wrote it and people like it.
bloop
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bloop »

An album that tries to sound like weak Dire Straits vs. an album that tries to sound like Pink Floyd...?