The Wall - Live

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
EduMartinelli

The Wall - Live

Post by EduMartinelli »

Hello everybody.
I'm from Brazil and I want know if you know about some video of The Wall - Live (1980-1981) on the net.
Thank you very much.
Eduardo
mostHigh
Axe
Axe

Post by mostHigh »

i think IT'S BRILLIANT MASTERPIECE BUT BOB GELDOLF SHOULD SING ROGER'S PARTS FOR SURE

THAT WOULD MAKE IT 918181 TIMES BETTER IMO

mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I have copies of a 1980 show from Nassau and a 1981 show from Earls Court. The Earls Court show has the best camera angles and many, many close ups...the Nassau show is decent, but nowhere near as good as the Earls Court show.

Both of these videos are copies of copies of copies of copies...etc...but the picture quality is quite watchable and the audio is very good. I got mine from Marching Hammers Video...but I haven't been able to find that site in about two years now.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Why the footage for the Wall show at Earls Court in 81 was so good is that it was recorded to be used for the Wall film. I think the original idea was to have the live show with additional footage, but the Live show bits were removed bit by bit as the amount of additional footage increased.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Sort of. The original idea was for the film to be both a concert film AND a narrative film. I have a copy of Roger's first draft of the screenplay and that's how it reads.

Five additional shows were booked at Earls Court for the purpose of shooting the show for inclusion in the movie, but Alan Parker felt the film came out badly. Dark and "soupy" looking.

I believe the source of the two videos I have to be the fabled "Brickman Videos." Marc Brickman was hired by PF to videotape the shows, possibly for television broadcast. After all, if you've ever seen what videotape footage looks like after it's transfered to film, it's pretty shoddy. I don't think PF would have taken that shortcut.

In short, these videos are not the footage that was meant for the film...although the Earls Court show is undoubtedly one of the shows that was filmed for inclusion in the film. There were two camera crews at work that particular evening...one on video cams and one on film cams.

Make sense?