Who Played Bass On What Songs...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ChillOnTheSun
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Who Played Bass On What Songs...

Post by ChillOnTheSun »

Well, Rick Wright playd cello on PATGOD, he is not credited for it. He even played drums and slide guitar on Sysyphus, and trombone on Biding my time. Dave played bass and drums on Fat Old Sun, Pillow of Winds, Narrow way and it is not mentioned in any encyclopedia. Rick Wright played also occasional acoustic guitar (Summer 68).And I suppose some additional keyboard stuff was layered by someone else than Rick in early years (eg. piano on Narrow Way) . As Roger played lot of acoustic guitar. We even don't know who played vibraphone in Pillow of Winds, as there is consensus that vibraphone was played by Rick. No one cares. That was collective work.
DarkSideFreak
Blade
Blade

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Annoying Twit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:04 pm As Guy Pratt himself said, he did get royalties for WtIO. He just didn't get credit on the album.
Well, that's good, but odd to hear... why would you not give him credit? :?
ChillOnTheSun wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:24 am Well, Rick Wright playd cello on PATGOD, he is not credited for it. He even played drums and slide guitar on Sysyphus, and trombone on Biding my time. Dave played bass and drums on Fat Old Sun, Pillow of Winds, Narrow way and it is not mentioned in any encyclopedia. Rick Wright played also occasional acoustic guitar (Summer 68).And I suppose some additional keyboard stuff was layered by someone else than Rick in early years (eg. piano on Narrow Way) . As Roger played lot of acoustic guitar. We even don't know who played vibraphone in Pillow of Winds, as there is consensus that vibraphone was played by Rick. No one cares. That was collective work.
We do know who played on The Narrow Way... all instruments David. Same goes for Sysyphus with everything by Rick.

The other stuff you mention is more interesting. I think the book that I have (song by song) mentions some of it, but not all.

The initial question was how much bass was played not by Roger but by David, and there's still not a really concrete answer to that. We know some songs on which David definitely played, but I've got a feeling there must be more.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm Well, that's good, but odd to hear... why would you not give him credit? :?
I ... do not know.
ZiggyZipgun
Knife
Knife

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

He explained in his Lockdown Licks video that he came up with the volume swell-bass part, and Rick based the chord progression on that, and Anthony Moore wrote the lyrics. Well, chord progressions are not a factor of songwriting credits - it's only the melody (the vocal melody, if there are vocals), and the lyrics themselves. To credit anyone else is entirely up to whoever wrote the melody and the lyrics. The band used to share a lot of credits, including Nick on a lot of things, because they were all members of the band. Guy's situation was undoubtedly odd, since that was his first time in the studio with them for a proper album, and he would never, ever be made a full member of the band. The other odd thing is that while the band would generally never allow their songs to be used in commercials, Rick didn't give a shit if the price was right - he ok'd "Great Gig in the Sky" to be used in a Dole bananas commercial in 1974, and even re-recorded it in 1990 - with Clare Torry! - for a prescription drug ad, because Gilmour wouldn't let them use the original recording.
DarkSideFreak
Blade
Blade

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:14 am He explained in his Lockdown Licks video that he came up with the volume swell-bass part, and Rick based the chord progression on that, and Anthony Moore wrote the lyrics. Well, chord progressions are not a factor of songwriting credits - it's only the melody (the vocal melody, if there are vocals), and the lyrics themselves. To credit anyone else is entirely up to whoever wrote the melody and the lyrics.
I specifically contrasted this with Jon Carin, who came up with the chord sequence for "Learning to Fly", was not a band member, and was himself surprised to see himself get credit on the finished article. So a certain inconsistency there.