The Division Bell, want some opinions...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A WATERS VS. GILMOUR POST IN MY OPINION. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ SOMETHING THAT SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE WILL PROBABLY LABEL A WATERS VS. GILMOUR POST, DO NOT READ THIS POST. AS I UNDERSTAND IT, DISSENT IS WELCOME ON THIS BOARD. THAT IS ALL YOU WILL FIND IN THIS POST. YOU WILL NOT SEE THE BASHING OF ANY MEMBERS OF PINK FLOYD. :lol:
quicksilver wrote:Just because an artist is credited solely on a song does not mean that they are entirely responsible for the end product.
I never said such a thing. I merely cited who had a hand in writing what songs.
You, RPITI , wrote: "And finally, to end once and for all this nonsense that David deserves as much credit as Roger:

Pink Floyd songs written solely by Waters:

Let There Be More Light - Waters
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun - Waters
Corporal Clegg - Waters
Cirrus Minor - Waters
The Nile Song - Waters
Crying Song - Waters
Green Is The Colour - Waters .............."

You suggested it clearly.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I stated the facts. I stated who WROTE what. Just because someone WROTE something on their own does NOT mean they are SOLELY responsible for a RECORDING of what they WROTE (i.e., the product).

For example, GNR's version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" was WRITTEN by Bob Dylan, but MANY individuals are responsible for the FINISHED PRODUCT on GNR's Use Your Illusions II album.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

ok, this is getting bloody ridiculous!

This is a Roger versus Dave argument here because by definition you're arguing over credits that you feel each eprson should have therefore placing them in competition.

Money is an example. Now imagine the song without Gilmour's guitar part in the middle. now if you particularly want to try and suggest roger wrote it then go ahead, bearing in mine he couldn't play the bass line for pigs so it's unlikely.

Leave the topic alone! Come on, what does everyone think of the division bell? quite a nice little album eh? Opinions please and less Gilmour bashing.

And real pink, before you quote me in your next posts and complain bout this not being an argument is is by definition placing the 2 in competition, and also i won't reply for a while because i'm down in London, so can somelse reply for me? Cheers.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Cease now or I will ban you all one by one until the waters vs gilmour thing stops. I will also ban your IP address that you post from and the other user accounts and IPs you post from as well. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

SIR, YES, SIR!
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

The Division Bell - my opinion:
The album just plods and plods and plods and has such a thick heavy suffocating sound. Every song has the same tempo and pointless bluesy riffing and the words are mostly meaningless to me. I'm all for albums having a consistent feel throughout - I'm a fan of concept albums but not when the concept is blandness and middle age.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Okay.........we'll get on to something else:

I like The Division Bell for the most part. WDYWFM seems a little out of place with the other songs as far as the flow of the record is concerned but other than that it's good. The influence of Rick Wright is welcomed, and really adds to the feel of the whole record. Lost for Words and Comming back to life are my 2 favorites and Marooned is a close third. Really, I like all of the songs.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I haver to say, the pulse tour looks absolutly brilliant (got the video) and it's good that pink floyd managed to rise above all competition again with the relevence of the flying pig being stronger than before with pink floyd remaining above all competition and rising above the rest of rock music all over again. Brilliant.

Now i was thinking, using the same songs could Roger have imrpoved TDB? I doubt it actually. I don't think it's Roger's presense that stops the album from being up with the best of floyd, but more the track selection, and before we start slating it, it must be remembered that Roger was present and dictated a quarter of umma gumma and look how it turned out. Roger couldn't have made the album better.

The songs were done in the most logical ways (with lyrics and themes like that i doubt roger's creational alienation through musical communication could help.)

the concept and the album succeded in having a traditional pink floyd feel and flow to it which may cause a lot of it's problems, but despite it's failure to be original i think the songs were in great hands with Dave and it could have been A LOT worse.

Or am i speaking crap here?
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Most critics complain about TDB that it is always the same thing like eg Decampos who wrote: "The Division Bell - my opinion:
The album just plods and plods and plods and has such a thick heavy suffocating sound. Every song has the same tempo and pointless bluesy riffing and the words are mostly meaningless to me. I'm all for albums having a consistent feel throughout - I'm a fan of concept albums but not when the concept is blandness and middle age."

How long is TDB ??? Almost 70 min. Just Imagine WYWH or TFC being 70 min long. You would also be complaining. In fact , i have been thinking of making a 42 min version of TDB. It would have more variation and thus less "boring" for some people. Indeed, 70 min is long and a little bit more variation in song and songstructure would have been very welcome. If there would be another Floyd-album, i would really appreciate some new influences, like on Wrights album Broken China.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

We all disagree, I think we should disagree, yeah...
Spinoza wrote:In fact , i have been thinking of making a 42 min version of TDB.
Good idea. :)
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

FeelingVeryPink wrote:We all disagree ...
are you speaking on behalf of everyone or are you more than one person?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

It was a bad quote. I don't want to go into it.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think we should all just hold hands and sing "Let It Be."

Maybe it's just me.............
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Great song, awful album. :wink: