Both
36%

Total votes: 44

Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

who sings welcome to the machine?

Post by Johnny Rotten »

Im getting two sided info about this.. .
Last edited by Johnny Rotten on Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I think that Pink does :lol: :lol:

only joking... I think that David does... Im not sure though
Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Johnny Rotten »

seamusz wrote:
only joking... I think that David does... Im not sure though
can dave sing it so...um, roughly? :lol:
Ef.U.if.U.Dont.Like.it
Blade
Blade

Post by Ef.U.if.U.Dont.Like.it »

They both do! Dave's is the upper "rougher" vocal & Roger is the almost "talk/whispering" type of vocal nearly buried in the mix. One would think it's just Dave but they both are actually singing lead vocal on this track.

Controls are set.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Post by bmet »

No! No! No!

Roger is the lead singer in this song.They just recorded him at his normal pitch and then,through studio trickery, raised his voice up an octave or two so that it sounded like he could reach higher notes. Or so it was explained to me in the Pink Floyd book "Echoes:The Stories behind the Pink Floyd Songs". Dave sings in the background.
Ef.U.if.U.Dont.Like.it
Blade
Blade

Don't believe everything you read. I'm surprised by the amount of fans that still can't tell Dave's voice from Roger's. It's VERY OBVIOUS that's Dave. Listen to Money & then listen to Welcome to the Machine. VERY OBVIOUS! Dave is the primary voice you hear on this song even though they are both singing. I don't care what been said in books, on other forums, etc...

Controls are set.
bluesrpink
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bluesrpink »

Roger sang it is exactly right. I have a book by Karl Dallas called "Bricks in the Wall" and in it is says that Roger sang it and then they slowed the tape down. He had trouble singing in that register.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

It definitely sounds like both Dave and Roger are singing on it. I think Roger's singing difficulties on this track and on Shine On were why they had Roy Harper do the vocals on Have A Cigar.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It is very clearly David Gilmour singing it for the majority of the song. Sounds like he is doing the lower harmony double tracked as well. On some of the higher notes, sounds like Roger joins in on lines like "it's alright we know where you've been"... perhaps assuming the role of "the machine" or something mad like that. I can tell by the "shape" of the sounds coming out of their mouths.
Ef.U.if.U.Dont.Like.it
Blade
Blade

It is very clearly David Gilmour singing it for the majority of the song.
Amen. Thank you.

Controls are set.
Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Johnny Rotten »

If it really is david gilmour it is the worst singing I have ever heard from him in studio... it doesnt suit for him. I hear Dave on the lower voice but that ear scratching high pitch vocals are so Roger..
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Johnny Rotten wrote:If it really is david gilmour it is the worst singing I have ever heard from him in studio... it doesnt suit for him. I hear Dave on the lower voice but that ear scratching high pitch vocals are so Roger..
The really high higher parts are Roger and the rest are David, in my opinion. I like his singing on this song. I think it sounds great! 8)
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Its Dave but Roger is in there as well, Listen to the version from this months roio to hear it more clearly.

I still cant tell who sings some of the songs on patgod.
VegaObscura
Axe
Axe

Post by VegaObscura »

Yeh...it is most definately Dave. I mean...in concert and off, to me, his voice is unmistakeable...
It is very clearly David Gilmour singing it for the majority of the song. Sounds like he is doing the lower harmony double tracked as well. On some of the higher notes, sounds like Roger joins in on lines like "it's alright we know where you've been"... perhaps assuming the role of "the machine" or something mad like that. I can tell by the "shape" of the sounds coming out of their mouths.
-Keith

Amen to that, man.[/quote]
Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Johnny Rotten »

I would like to read the true storie from a reliable pink floyd book. :? anyone want to type them for me?