what does it say?
bmet
Knife
Knife

From "Echoes:The stories behind every Pink Floyd song&q

Post by bmet »

By Cliff Jones
Page 108

"...When it came time to sing those lyrics,Waters found that he couldn't reach one of the high notes,so the tape was slowed to drop everything down a semitone and enable him to hit the right note when dropping in a problem line..."

Both Waters and Gilmour are credited in lead vocals but I still think Roger's Voice is more out front and Dave can be heard the best during the "Soo Welcome to the Machine" part. :roll:

I've been in the pipeline filling in time.
Ef.U.if.U.Dont.Like.it
Blade
Blade

Post by Ef.U.if.U.Dont.Like.it »

couldn't reach one of the high notes,so the tape was slowed to drop everything down a semitone and enable him to hit the right note when dropping in a problem line..."
No where does your quote from the book say that Roger sang the lead or predominant vocal for this track.

Hello! "dropping in a problem line" isn't the whole song. AGAIN, Gilmour's voice is the voice you are hearing predominantly in that song. If a book told you that Roger really played all the lead guitar parts would you blindly believe that as well even though you can clearly hear that it is Gilmour's guitar work? UNBELIEVABLE!! Don't your ears tell you that's David singing? Can't you just listen and hear that CLEAR as a bell? I sure can. Perhaps EVERY SINGLE THING ever sung by Dave is really just Roger's voice slowed down? I mean if he could sound exactly like Dave sounds why would he have bothered having Dave sing at all? LISTEN to the song. LISTEN to the song Money, same vocalist. Listen to Dave sing Money on any more recent concert where he kinda 1/2 yells, 1/2 sings the vocals, the EXACT same sounding vocals that he does on the studio version of Welcome to the Machine.

That Roger, what a brilliant man being such a studio genius that he can make his voice sound EXACTLY like David Gilmours. Wow! I really love how he sings Fat Old Sun and isn't Roger's vocals amazing on TDB & AMLOR?

Love and Kisses to all you super smart WELL READ PF fans,
Lisa
bmet
Knife
Knife

Post by bmet »

I say Waters's voice PREDOMINATES!!!!!

Both Waters and Gilmour are credited with Lead Vocals,but (see top line)
Parpa
Blade
Blade

And this is a Pink Floyd forum??

Post by Parpa »

Come on...
Roger Waters most certainly has the lead vocal on Welcome to The Machine on 1975's Wish You Were Here album. Yes, Dave sings some backing vocals in there - - just as he did live in concert in 1975 and 1977. Now Dave did do a terrific job with the vocals (live) after Roger left, but before that and dating back to the recording studio - - it's a ROGER lead vocal. Dave is in there, but it's Roger's vocal. Go listen to the '77 tour again...they were playing the same arrangement then. Roger singing lead with David's rough backing vox. I'm kind of shocked that so many folks don't know the difference...? They have fairly different vocal styles and sounds.
Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Johnny Rotten »

I added a poll for you people. I trust in the book sources and in my own hearing. that is Roger.

AMG REVIEW: "So you want to be a rock & roll star?" asked the Byrds in their song of the same name, a rhetorical question, really. Well, as they and others would advise, be ready for a possible rise to fame, if not fortune, followed shortly by bitterness and disillusionment, and then prepare to write songs about said bitterness and disillusionment roughly three records into your career (only after the second album's obligatory "missing you from a hotel room," band-on-the-road songs [tour bus and backstage footage applicable in the music-video era only]). But rarely has success seemed so disheartening, with such vitriol directed at the record industry, as on Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine." As if aiming to expose the literal nature of the word "industry," the song opens and closes with the sound of mechanized doors opening and closing and is set over an unremitting, pulsing hum, a machine-like sound that throbs from side to side in a stereo-panning effect. The groundbreaking production, from the 1975 album Wish You Were Here, continued the ambitious scale that the band plotted out with the album's immediate predecessor, Dark Side of the Moon (1975). Both were enormously successful commercially ? a rare feat for albums that are also extraordinarily innovative ? and sounded as adventurous and relevant years later as they did in the early to mid-'70s. The tension on "Welcome to the Machine" is palpable; over the incessant industrial pulse, acoustic guitars shift from sweeping arpeggios and 4/4 strums to ascending chord progressions and a 6/4 rhythm, while synthesizers drone, pound, and buzz away in stereo. Synthesized strings well up in rich pads and drums/percussion are limited to dramatic tympani rolls and cymbal crashes. One expects an electric guitar and rock rhythm section to burst in at any given moment, particularly as the band drones on one chord for one and a half minutes to end the song, but no such event occurs to release the tension. The cumulative effect of the uneasy drone is to increase the acidic sentiment of the song. Roger Waters sings the lead vocal at the top of his range, the audible strain contributing further to the seething angst ? unlike the satire and humor of another of the record's looks at the music business, "Have a Cigar." David Gilmour sings a unison backing part down an octave, thickening the part and again contributing to the drone. The lyrics themselves are a bit pedestrian: "You bought a guitar to punish you ma/And you didn't like school/And you know you're nobody's fool/So welcome to the machine," but Waters' passionate delivery is convincing. ? Bill Janovitz
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

To be quite honest...I don't hear Roger Waters AT ALL in this song. I hear Gilmour singing the low part and Gilmour singing the high part.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Johnny Rotten wrote: Roger Waters sings the lead vocal at the top of his range, the audible strain contributing further to the seething angst ? unlike the satire and humor of another of the record's looks at the music business, "Have a Cigar." David Gilmour sings a unison backing part down an octave, thickening the part and again contributing to the drone.

This is how I have always heard the song. I definatley hear Roger voice.
floydbabe
Blade
Blade

Post by floydbabe »

! I never even thought of this, it was always obvious to me that it was Dave singing! It doesn't sound like Roger -at all-.
chickenpiggies
Blade
Blade

Post by chickenpiggies »

Well, If that is Dave singing in a high register......he sounds an awful lot like Roger. :lol:

I know that they are both singing. But I definitly hear Roger above everything else
Jangus
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jangus »

I always thought it seemed like two voices.
Avani
Knife
Knife

Post by Avani »

Johnny Rotten wrote:The groundbreaking production, from the 1975 album Wish You Were Here, continued the ambitious scale that the band plotted out with the album's immediate predecessor, Dark Side of the Moon (1975).
I don't trust books that say Dark Side of the Moon was released in 1975. :lol:

And I'm pretty sure it's Dave. You can clearly hear his voice.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Syd did theday he came by the studio :lol:
Jangus
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jangus »

madcap69 wrote:Syd did theday he came by the studio :lol:
YES! HES SOLVED THE MYSTERY!