Shania's "Money"

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Shania's "Money"

Post by qjamesfloyd »

I got the new Shania Twain CD for christmas,and there is a track on there called "Ka-Ching"which to me is a direct copy of Pink Floyd's "Money",it's about the same things,and it even has the same begining to,the cash register's and money being droppped,going from speaker to speaker,is this a tribute from Shania to the great Pink Floyd,her husband and co-witer and producer is Robert John "Mutt" Lange,who is a rock producer,so,maybe it is.
But it goes to show that Roger was always ahead of his time with his lyrics,as what he wrote 30 years ago,is just as relevant now as then,more so now even.
Silverfish
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Silverfish »

Well, besides being basically a crap song, "Ka-Ching" does all but pirate the "Money" noises, and it's obvious that whoever wrote this song wanted to try out a darker theme, the whole "everything is f***ed up and we need to take a stand" bit that most artists touch on, some dwell on. But Shania's attempts at a treatise on the cliched "grim, greedy state of our world" read out very rigid and forced, like someone doing an essay for English class (quoted "we live in a greedy little world, that teaches teach every little boy and girl to make as much as they can... we go to the mall on sunday", blah blah blah) whereas "Money" is spoken from the heart and Waters' touches of irony and sarcasm (the "route of all evil" verse that we all know comes to mind) are humorous while maintaining an easy-going sense of poetry, really topping off the whole sundae. Plus, "Ka-Ching" has no Dave Gilmour guitar solo :lol:

At least they didn't rip off the 7/4 time signature.
Last edited by Silverfish on Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I strongly suggest that the first person who says "Hey, at least she could be turning a whole new bunch of people on to Floyd" gets the back of their hand smacked...

...with a very large iron skillet.