For whom the Bell, uh, sucks

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

For whom the Bell, uh, sucks

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I am listening to The Division Bell and I like it like it like it. :)

This is kind of addressed to those who think it's 'crap'. :?

Would you like it/like it more if it was by someone else? :?:

Oh yeah, and why does everyone like 'High Hopes' so much, and not 'Poles Apart', 'Wearing The Inside Out' and 'What Do You Want From Me' more? :shock:

Maybe they do. Everyone always going on about 'High Hopes' really gets to me, though. Every tribute band in the world plays it at every gig they do, for Waters' sake. I mean, good enough song, but the HIGHLIGHT? No, no, no. :roll:

Maybe I like this album because of the personal experiences I associate with it. Listening to 'Cluster One' in Cornwall on holiday, watching the sunset, feeling rather overwhelmed with respect and admiration for David Gilmour, is one particular highlight. And the organ 'solo' in 'Poles Apart' is just heavenly. Oh yes. :lol:

This is just a meaningless monologue. Any further opinions would be cool. :P
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

Absolutely not, it wouldn't be made by anyone else, so it couldn't be considered good, unless of course, it was "created'' by that ever lasting lyrical genius ROGER WATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Division Bell is a good record but like I've said before, it's just a bad recreation of the old Floyd material that made the band so popular. It's good but if you put it up to something like DarkSide or Wish You Were Here then it's a very, very, very weak record.

Sorrow is absolutely horrible. It's almost as if Dave is trying to re create something like Shine On You Crazy Diamond yet it's just a terrible piece of work that is created.

Cluster One-->What Do YOu Want From Me, is really good stuff.

I also like the song Where Were You... don't know if that's the title but I know Dave says that at the first of the tune..

Wearing the Inside Out is horrible in my opinion. Rick's voice is shot.

It's a good record but while listening I always get the feeling they are trying to recreate the past... it's not progressive.. all of Pink Floyds records were fairly progressive... this is not.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Hopefully I Won't Get Banned For This...

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

FeelingVeryPink wrote: Would you like it/like it more if it was by someone else? :?:
No.
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Hopefully I Won't Get Banned For This...

Post by bong »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:
FeelingVeryPink wrote: Would you like it/like it more if it was by someone else? :?:
No.
Not even if ROGER WALTERS THE ALMIGHTY GOD OF MUSIC AND LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING?>?????
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Bong seems to be quite the person.

I love the Archie Bunker is the King Of Rock thing.. great stuff
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Who's Archie Bunker?

TDB really should have been so much more. The begining shows some true promise but songs like Take It Back, keep Talking, AGDFF and WTIO let it down. Marooned is also a song i can't be bothered with. Why is there 2 instrumentals on the album?

The album also doesn't work as an album. Call this a wrong statement, but the songs don't compliement eachoter musically like TFC, it just seems the track were all just thrown in random places. Why is WTIO after Marooned and AGDFF? Surely the listener deserves an exciting song after having to sit through Marooned and AGDFF? And the next few songs are also so boring. Their age shows on this album, not that old people can't make music, but it just sounds like a Pink Floyd tribute band made up of much older people.

Lost For Words though. Wow. David Gilmour does his best vocal performance to date, this is OTTA but even better!

"Can you see your days blighted by darkness?" Dave makes that line so damn good, that song is an understated masterpiece and Dave is a brilliant damn singer on it.

The thing is every song almost follows the same pattern. 2 verses and then a long instrumental bit, sound effects to if we're lucky. Then a 3rd verse comes in and the song draws to a slow end that sounds similar to the songs begining. Actually, much of Pink Floyd's work did this.

But anyway, the album should have been better, i think Gilmour owed it to the fans for keeping the band going.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Archie Bunker = US version of Alf Garnett.