Live at Pompei

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Live at Pompei

Post by flashback »

What's the latest news about Live at Pompei-The Directors Cut, anybody got any news?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Sorry if this is obvious, but this is all I know.

It's out in March 2003 on DVD. I presume the 'Director's Cut' tag means all the 'concert' stuff, minus the Dark Side footage, but hopefully that'll be included too. Better be.

If it's one of those 'Digitally Remastered... but actually it looks just as crap as your old VHS' ones, then... well, I'll still buy it.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

According to Record Collector, a UK magazine, the Live at Pompeii DVD includes newly restored in-concert footage as well as an unedited studio run-through of DSOTM and pre-performance scenes. Since the full details of this DVD have yet to be revealed, this information cannot be confirmed.

I have also read that the DVD has been delayed to April. March or April or May, we should have it soon enough.

It sounds like it's going to be a blast.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I always found live in pompeii a bit boring to be honest, all the songs seem to go on for ages and there's no real energy in their performance. It lacks the strength of the earlier Umma Gumma live recordings and i feel the visuals are vastly over rated.

Still, it was well worth my fiver.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

David Smith wrote:I always found live in pompeii a bit boring to be honest, all the songs seem to go on for ages and there's no real energy in their performance. It lacks the strength of the earlier Umma Gumma live recordings and i feel the visuals are vastly over rated.

Boo, hiss! *grabs a pitchfork* :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Come on, it was good, but i just can't be bothered watching it a lot and sitting through a 5 minute zoom in towards the band while they start echoes
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

David Smith wrote:I always found live in pompeii a bit boring to be honest, all the songs seem to go on for ages and there's no real energy in their performance. It lacks the strength of the earlier Umma Gumma live recordings and i feel the visuals are vastly over rated.

BOOURNS2111211111111111
I think it was good myself. I like the "celestial voices" part of asos the best except for the part right at the end where daves voice goes all high and girly
That part I think was better on Umma gumma.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

David Smith wrote:Come on, it was good, but i just can't be bothered watching it a lot and sitting through a 5 minute zoom in towards the band while they start echoes
David- During that 5 minute zoom , try eating a crustless pie as that will help the time pass.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:Come on, it was good, but i just can't be bothered...sitting through a 5 minute zoom in towards the band while they start echoes
I take it you've never seen 2001: A Space Odyssee, then.

Short attention span, anyone?

Sorry, what was I talking about?
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

I don't know.

Hey, look at that castle over there!
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

live at ponpeii

Post by grateful pink »

Live at Pompeii is a really great video. Some of the video portions are a bit "artsy-fartsy" but the songs and performances are great and i love the backdrop of the old colisseum.

And how can you not like Roger gonging on SOS?:)
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Re: live at ponpeii

Post by bong »

grateful pink wrote:
And how can you not like Roger gonging on SOS?:)
yeah he really looks like he/'s enjoying smashing that gong and the cymbals.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

The write-up thing on the video case is absolutely true. You know, the "...lends itself very well to visual representation" bit. Exactly.

A good example of this is during 'Eugene' when the camera lingers on those mosaic faces. Also, the beginning of 'Echoes (Part 2)'. The bubbles. Now that's perfection. It makes me wonder why all music isn't accompanied by visuals. It makes sense.

Speaking of Adrian Maben, what else has he directed? I suppose he might be a TV guy or something. Oh, and Live At Pompeii was recorded on 7 October 1971, wasn't it? That's the date I've always gone by.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Would it be better with the audience? And Interstellar Overdrive or Narrow Way?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

I think an audience would date it. Live At Pompeii will live forever. It's just them, Pink Floyd. Timeless.