A critic

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

You know, I really rate people who can write and express exactly what they're thinking in their head. People who know how to use the right words. This guy's reviews are really easy to read and are also very humorous. I don't agree with everything he says but we're all entitled to our own opinions.

An exerpt of his thoughts on the Division Bell:
".... it's a very hard listen as an album. It's dark, gloomy and depressing, throughout, with all the songs setting exactly one and the same mood - not a trickle of light, not a little bit of silly throwaway piece to brighten up your day. You could say: 'Isn't that the ticket?' Yes, but in their prime, Floyd reveled in this darkness, putting out heartbreaking thrillers that made you gasp for breath and jump out of your chair. Division Bell just drags on like an old man's whining death bell... well, it more or less is like that, of course, but it's so dang self-indulgent, taking so much pleasure in this masochistic self-darkening, that I simply can't stand it, nor would I advise anybody to stand it. I don't have anything against the commercial approach as long as it yields listenable results, but if it yields something like this, a record that's only Pink Floyd in form but is, in fact, false Pink Floyd in spirit, I'm all against it. If I wanna put myself in a gloomy mood, I've got a trillion albums that all make the point far more effectively, with better songs, sharper feelings and not as much pointless, monotonous guitar noodling that all sounds the friggin' same for a bleedin' sixty-six minutes."

great stuff.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I think the guy in question is basicaly a good reviewer.. ok he is a bit down on Floyd - but at least he admits it. His review of Animals was spot on. I found his judgement of post-rog floyd harsh, amusing and probably true.

I didn't like his comments about Comfortably Numb though - "sounds like mid-Eighties substance-less Elton John: a lot of aura and atmosphere, a cool, but generic and boring guitar solo, and not much of a melody."

I enjoyed his Beatles reviews too..
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Well, I took my time and looked that page. What can I say??, I hated the guy at the first time, really, I wanted to kill him. But then, I understood: he isn't older than many of us here (he says that he was "too young" when Floyd went to Moscow in 1989), so, he's trying to bother his friends, that are fans of some classic bands, and are, of course, a lot funnier than him. Believe me, I've known some of these kind of guys (they're everywhere!!), and they are worse than almost everything we (as Floyd fans) can imagine (yes, worse then a Roger or Dave fanatic). They always look at what other people like and say "well, it's not bad, BUT...", and then always come a very deep analysis of the "music structure" and the "depth of the lyrics", etc. These guys, most of the time, try to put you down. One of them can say to you "Pink Floyd is crap, if you compare them to The Beatles", but then, when they talk with a friend who is a Beatles fan, they try to look wise and say "well, The Beatles are overrated, they lack the creativity of bands like Pink Floyd".

Well, my point is: this guy is one of the "i-hate-all-you-like" guys, that try always to put anyone down, and try to look always wiser than everyone. Probably because everyone is funnier and/or happier than him, and he doesn't like it...

That's all.

P.S.: A guy who says "Another could-be great album ruined by the excessive quantity of the songs. So many great moments and so much fluff. Pity", and "Let's just say it's interesting, but not terribly profound (the motive of one person's isolation from the world is quite a well-used one) or original (Tommy, in fact, was based on the same plot). " about The Wall, doesn't deserve more of my time. (Come on!!, TOMMY wasn't so coherent as The Wall... was it??).
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

I FORGOT TO MENTION...

Post by Stilgar »

Please, don't take me wrong... I respect ALL kind of opinions, about everything, specially about art (music, movies, etc), because no one is equal to another person, so, everyone have his/her tastes. I just readed this reviews page, and found something I know: a "i-hate-all-you-like" guy, that's all, and I described it...
:wink:
Last edited by Stilgar on Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I'm rather glad I posted that address. I put it up in the 'official' one and basically got ostracized for it, so it's nice to see some intelligent comment. :)