A Momentary Lapse of Reason

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by decampos »

Whoa! please, no lynching - I'm not causing any trouble, I'm just curious.
I think it's pretty safe to say most of us here are Floyd fans after the fact, ie young-ish. We weren't around or were too young to understand the Floyd when they were at their peak. This is really a request to the few oldies in this forum, those of you who grew up with the likes of Dark, Wish, Animals and the Wall:

What did you really think about 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' when it came out?
I'm especially intrigued to hear from those of you who regarded Floyd's 70s output as something truly special, something that, perhaps, helped you through bad times. What did you guys think of the new Floyd?

Personally speaking, I loved it! my brother had bought it just for the cover alone! it rocked, especially 'Dogs of war' that was awesome. I was 10.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

A New Machine Part I is the most inspiring song that has ever been written.
UntilWeSleep
Axe
Axe

Post by UntilWeSleep »

NewEarthMud wrote:A New Machine Part I is the most inspiring song that has ever been written.
Your sarcasm flows worse than syrup on my delicious buttermilk pancakes.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

I thought Momentary Lapse of Reason was a great album!!!! And I still do. I love all the tracks on this album(EVEN THE NEW MACHINES!!!) *GASP*. :lol: I am not being sarcastic either.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

you guys better be old
Neil

Post by Neil »

I was 13 when it came out.. I liked it straight away.
However a couple of months after I had changed my mind. Let's face it there's nothing you can't get or pick up from this record straight away. I like an album which gets better and better on every listen - I like to have to 'dig' deep into it and discover hidden meanings etc... Example being Peter Gabriels new album 'UP' - I didn't like that on first listen. But now I love it..
The Wall/TFC/ATD all have that same quality.
I'm not saying AMLOR is rubbish - but just that I don't really care about it anymore :|

I remmember everyone playing it all the time when I first took it into school though!! 'One Slip' was played over and over and over and ov...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

What did you all think of the idea of pink floyd reforming without roger at the time?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Here's an interesting idea: The record tycoons stating from now on that every album from SOS to WYWH is by "Roger Waters & Pink Floyd," Animals, The Wall, and TFC by "Roger Waters," PATGOD by "Syd Barrett," and MLOR and DB by "Pink Floyd." :lol:

Perhaps they should have done that after the schism.
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

That album should have been called either 'A MONETARY Lapse of Reason"
Or " A Momentary Lapse of BOWEL CONTROL"
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

or 'a PERMANENT lapse of DECENT SONGS' :lol:

I'm joking
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

decampos wrote:you guys better be old
What does age have to do on stateing my opinons? I really like a Momentray Lapse of Reason.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

SignsOfLife wrote:
decampos wrote:you guys better be old
What does age have to do on stateing my opinons? I really like a Momentray Lapse of Reason.
If you read my first post you'll see why. I've pasted it here so you don't have to look up the page for it:

Whoa! please, no lynching - I'm not causing any trouble, I'm just curious.
I think it's pretty safe to say most of us here are Floyd fans after the fact, ie young-ish. We weren't around or were too young to understand the Floyd when they were at their peak. This is really a request to the few oldies in this forum, those of you who grew up with the likes of Dark, Wish, Animals and the Wall:

What did you really think about 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' when it came out?
I'm especially intrigued to hear from those of you who regarded Floyd's 70s output as something truly special, something that, perhaps, helped you through bad times. What did you guys think of the new Floyd?

Personally speaking, I loved it! my brother had bought it just for the cover alone! it rocked, especially 'Dogs of war' that was awesome. I was 10.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

that doesnt prove anything, im 16 and i enjoy AMLOR at times, but i will admit it is quite a weak PF album
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I'll be 37 this year and I like AMLOR because it has some good songs on it,I'm not saying it is WYWH but it is alright.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

DaveMatthewsFan wrote:that doesnt prove anything, im 16 and i enjoy AMLOR at times, but i will admit it is quite a weak PF album
Man alive, I don't see what the problem is here.

It's not meant to prove anything. I want to hear opinions from PEOPLE WHO WERE OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE ALREADY BEEN FLOYD FANS WHEN AMLOR CAME OUT IN 1987.

for example. I really like Radiohead. The songwriter is Thom Yorke, he is also the leader of the band. in my opinion his songwriting skills are right up there with Roger's. He has written some of the most beautiful and awe-inspiring songs of recent times. If He wasn't in the next Radiohead album and the guitarist Jonny Greenwood took over the songwriting duties (with, perhaps, a few faceless others to help out) I'd be pretty cheesed off and it wouldn't be a Radiohead album.
Last edited by decampos on Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.