A Momentary Lapse of Reason

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
User avatar
FloridaFloydFan
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:19 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Central Florida USA

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by FloridaFloydFan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:24 am

I really began listening to PF back in 72 while in high school. Dark was the thing then.

As far as MLOR, I love One Step and think it is one of their best. Basically, the worst of PF is better than ANYTHING coming out for the past 15 years, in my honest opinion.

User avatar
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 1571
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Gravity Eyelids

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by rememberaday » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:16 am

I agree with Florida Floyd's last point. I really don't get why Momentary is really hated - perhaps the haters are wanna-be Waters fans who don't understand the concept of loving more than one person or thing.

However, I do agree with the fact that it is not upto to Floyd standard, and that it reeks of late 80's filth, and proclaiming it as their best is ridiculous. But hey, who cares? There are hundred other albums worse than AMLOR.

User avatar
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 9072
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Truly gone ddebilfishing

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by ddebil » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 am

FloridaFloydFan wrote: I love One Step
That's beyond Madness! :D

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by kjek1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:28 pm

FloridaFloydFan wrote:I really began listening to PF back in 72 while in high school. Dark was the thing then.

As far as MLOR, I love One Step and think it is one of their best. Basically, the worst of PF is better than ANYTHING coming out for the past 15 years, in my honest opinion.
ffs :lol:

User avatar
FloridaFloydFan
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:19 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Central Florida USA

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by FloridaFloydFan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:14 pm

ffs??? No idea what that means.....sorry.

User avatar
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 836
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:57 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Argentina

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by thefinalcut » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Lucky me I was about 5 when that so called "Pink Floyd" album was released and couldn´t purchase it at the time.
I did it many, many years later, and just because I love the music on One Slip, which I consider the best track off AMLOR.
My rate: 2/10: pathetic lyrics, awful music...

User avatar
azza200
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2018
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by azza200 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Yet Another Movie is a great Floyd song very underrated the Atlanta 87 and Venice 89 versions are awesome, On The Turning Away is another great song of the album along with Learning To Fly and Sorrow there the standout songs on the album.

All which are now considered Floyd classics off that album

User avatar
FloridaFloydFan
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:19 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Central Florida USA

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by FloridaFloydFan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:55 am

I was at the concert in the Atlanta Omni in '87. I was seated(sometimes) about 40 feet in front of Machan Taylor, and remember quite vividly, them doing "One Slip"....which was and still is one of my favorites by Pink Floyd.

All the music was awesome and she was RADIOACTIVE!

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by kjek1 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:13 pm

thefinalcut wrote:Lucky me I was about 5 when that so called "Pink Floyd" album was released and couldn´t purchase it at the time.
I did it many, many years later, and just because I love the music on One Slip, which I consider the best track off AMLOR.
My rate: 2/10: pathetic lyrics, awful music...
Must piss you right off that the band went on a hugely successful 3 year tour on the back of that album

User avatar
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 1571
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Gravity Eyelids

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by rememberaday » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 am

kjek 1 wrote:
thefinalcut wrote: Lucky me I was about 5 when that so called "Pink Floyd" album was released and couldn´t purchase it at the time.
I did it many, many years later, and just because I love the music on One Slip, which I consider the best track off AMLOR.
My rate: 2/10: pathetic lyrics, awful music...
Must piss you right off that the band went on a hugely successful 3 year tour on the back of that album
But he/she isn't raving 'bout the success of the album, is he?

Gilmour and his Floyd were certainly doing well after Momentary in terms of tours and commercially the album was good enough, but I don't it was that good in terms of quality to really be a sort of "We're Back!" album for a band like Floyd to release after a 4 year hiatus.

To me, AMLOR seems as more of an album which wants to show Pink Floyd at a more grand state than it actually was in 1987 - and Gilmour's declaration that the band was nearly back to it's peak stands up to that. The tours for Momentary were successful more as a result of people wanting to see Floyd again rather than actually listen to the music.

Still, I wouldn't rate it a 2/10. Maybe a 6/10 :D would be enough. Gilmour's Floyd was good, but retrospection shows that hype was more abundant than critical praise after Waters stepped down.

User avatar
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 836
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:57 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Argentina

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by thefinalcut » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:15 pm

rememberaday wrote:
kjek 1 wrote:
Must piss you right off that the band went on a hugely successful 3 year tour on the back of that album
But he/she isn't raving 'bout the success of the album, is he?
I´m not a man!!!!!! :mad:

k jerk 1, We´re not talking about how much money Gilmour earned in his post Waters tours anyway...

You made such a good point rememberaday.

It´s all about quality, not quantity.

User avatar
KidCharlemagne1962
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:22 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston, Ma USA

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by KidCharlemagne1962 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:25 pm

I liked AMLOR when it came out, I too cannot understand why it was hated so much. I was in high school in the mod to late seventies and PF was very big in my school.

I didn't even mind Dogs of War :)

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by kjek1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Its a product of the 80's and thus sounds very 80's, which isnt really classic Floyd.

Still got some brilliant tracks.

Sorrow is magnificent and right up there with some of the best Floyd tunes.

mrfeldman
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: amlor

Post by mrfeldman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:25 pm

decampos wrote:
DaveMatthewsFan wrote:that doesnt prove anything, im 16 and i enjoy AMLOR at times, but i will admit it is quite a weak PF album
Man alive, I don't see what the problem is here.

It's not meant to prove anything. I want to hear opinions from PEOPLE WHO WERE OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE ALREADY BEEN FLOYD FANS WHEN AMLOR CAME OUT IN 1987.

for example. I really like Radiohead. The songwriter is Thom Yorke, he is also the leader of the band. in my opinion his songwriting skills are right up there with Roger's. He has written some of the most beautiful and awe-inspiring songs of recent times. If He wasn't in the next Radiohead album and the guitarist Jonny Greenwood took over the songwriting duties (with, perhaps, a few faceless others to help out) I'd be pretty cheesed off and it wouldn't be a Radiohead album.
I get your point bro,..My first floydian memory was listening to Animals from start to finish in one sitting and not knowing who the band was ( I was about 12) I was hooked,.and to this very day it's one of my all time fav's,..when I listen to it now, I usually listen to the whole album. Now to the topic at hand, having been a Floyd fan for 30 plus years, & more recently a floyd efficianado. I "love"Momentary Lapse. I find the dark ,musical depth , political comentary, to be as awsome as all previous works,..and I find the guitar on Sorrow to be some of Daves best work! As well as on the turning away,.....(imho)
Last edited by mrfeldman on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 1571
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Gravity Eyelids

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by rememberaday » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:52 am

Musical Depth? On AMLOR?


Image