art work

Post by wayne »

Atom heart mother must be one of the best floyd covers,what ever angle
you look at it from the cow seems to be looking at you. :shock:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

David Smith wrote:Did Pink Floyd have anything to do with their covers and the videos played during concerts, or did some other people just design and record them for them?
Well, I'm sure they were asked for their approval. Storm Thorgerson and Hipgnosis did everything from Saucerful to Animals, then everything from Lapse to Echoes, I believe (though the firm Hipgnosis ceased to exist c. 1983). Piper isn't a very good cover, the Wall is good, Dance Songs is great (very Thorgerson-esque), Final Cut's quite good: Hipgnosis rule. Then there's that famous (ish) story of the band being asked their opinion on a number of potential Dark Side images - they all picked the same one immediately, says 'ere... 8)
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Re: art work

Post by grateful pink »

wayne wrote:Atom heart mother must be one of the best floyd covers,what ever angle
I really like those cows, especially the one with the piece of grass in it's mouth!
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

grateful pink wrote:
wayne wrote:Atom heart mother must be one of the best floyd covers,what ever angle
I really like those cows, especially the one with the piece of grass in it's mouth!
Looks like a Joint.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

bong wrote:
grateful pink wrote: I really like those cows, especially the one with the piece of grass in it's mouth!
Looks like a Joint.
I've thought that too! Would you not prefer a bong, Bong? :D
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

RELICS IS THE BEST.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

AthousandMilesOfMoonlight wrote:RELICS IS THE BEST.
Is that the definitive answer or just your opinion???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

grateful pink wrote:
bong wrote: Looks like a Joint.
I've thought that too! Would you not prefer a bong, Bong? :D
Yes and no. Ilike bongs when I'm just sitting around and shit, but when I'm walking, driving or whatever I prefer joints for the ease of portability.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

8) Uh toaday it hink that the division bell is kinda cool
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

During the BBC Omnibus documentary 1994, one of the blokes from Hipgnosis (George Hardie?) said that he took a selection of designs for the DSOM cover to the band and the legendary image was the first he showed them. The band liked it and weren't even interested in seeing the rest of the portfolio (much to his bemusement).

BTW, I like the Meddle cover. At first glance it looks like a nose, open the gatefold and it's an ear (do I need specs?)
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:Piper isn't a very good cover, the Wall is good, Dance Songs is great (very Thorgerson-esque), Final Cut's quite good: Hipgnosis rule.
Dance Songs not Storm? says 'ere
(Storm Thorgerson Mind over Matter: the images od Pink Floyd)
Following the thread of contraries apparent in both the album's existance and it's title, I suggested a pair of dancers who couldn't dance, where the attributes of movement and flow where denied, caught forever in a static pose, tied down by the guy ropes like a tent. Undancing Dancers
He then goes on to talk about the specifics of the photo, the duotone photos, the cultural photos, and how Neville Brody then assembled everything together, layout, typography, etc, for the final product.

so it's still Storm's work.

He also doesn't like compilation albums... odd really. he also did Echoes...
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Bong wrote:
grateful pink wrote: I've thought that too! Would you not prefer a bong, Bong? :D
Yes and no. Ilike bongs when I'm just sitting around and *lit*, but when I'm walking, driving or whatever I prefer joints for the ease of portability.
Personally, for driving, i use one of those smokeless hitters--less fireworks in the car! :lol:
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Big Kelv wrote:During the BBC Omnibus documentary 1994, one of the blokes from Hipgnosis (George Hardie?) said that he took a selection of designs for the DSOM cover to the band and the legendary image was the first he showed them. The band liked it and weren't even interested in seeing the rest of the portfolio (much to his bemusement).

BTW, I like the Meddle cover. At first glance it looks like a nose, open the gatefold and it's an ear (do I need specs?)
NO, you do not need specs. I believe that it is actually a pigs ear--why do those pigs keep cropping up in those technical manuals I must read???
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Furious wrote:
Following the thread of contraries apparent in both the album's existance and it's title, I suggested a pair of dancers who couldn't dance, where the attributes of movement and flow where denied, caught forever in a static pose, tied down by the guy ropes like a tent. Undancing Dancers
He then goes on to talk about the specifics of the photo, the duotone photos, the cultural photos, and how Neville Brody then assembled everything together, layout, typography, etc, for the final product.

so it's still Storm's work.

He also doesn't like compilation albums... odd really. he also did Echoes...
Doh! I glanced at my LP - it says the sleeve was done by TCP and Citizen, so I automatically assumed Storm had nothing to do with it. :oops: