The Gold It's In The....

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Does "The Gold It's In The..." sound like Pink Floyd?

No not at all.
15%
It's the best song they ever wrote!
15%
They're just trying something different.
69%

Total votes: 13

Stiggs
Knife
Knife

The Gold It's In The....

Post by Stiggs »

Is it me or does the song "The Gold It's In The..." not sound at all like Pink Floyd? It sure is everyone playing, and that sure is Dave playing guitar, but the overall sound of the song reminds me of the regular 70s classic rock bands. I know they were experimental, but this song when I first heard it, I thought it was Dave Gilmour being a special guest on a different band's album. I think it's a good song, it's just odd how it really doesn't sound like anything else by Pink Floyd.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Yea, they have a few songs that are sort of outside the main body of their work. Other ones like "the Nile Song and "San Tropez" kind of fit in that group as well. I like all of those songs and it shows how versatile they were as musicians.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Yup

Post by Stiggs »

I don't really like The Nile Song, but San Tropez is a good song, I'll have to admit. It sounds kind of like a song from a 1950's american movie where people are sitting inside their car, driving along the coast and looking out at the sea, reflecting on their vacation that is about to conclude. That's what San Tropez seems like to me.
Seamus is a different story, however. Seamus to me seems like a filler song, one more style PF just had to try to put it in there. I'm not sure quite exactly what the song means...tho I've read somewhere on the net where some guy thinks it's a song about a guy going down on his wife but not actually having any sex...now that's a stretch huh.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Yup

Post by quicksilver »

Stiggs wrote:I don't really like The Nile Song, but San Tropez is a good song, I'll have to admit. It sounds kind of like a song from a 1950's american movie where people are sitting inside their car, driving along the coast and looking out at the sea, reflecting on their vacation that is about to conclude. That's what San Tropez seems like to me.
Seamus is a different story, however. Seamus to me seems like a filler song, one more style PF just had to try to put it in there. I'm not sure quite exactly what the song means...tho I've read somewhere on the net where some guy thinks it's a song about a guy going down on his wife but not actually having any sex...now that's a stretch huh.
Wow!.......to each his own I guess. Here I thought it was just a dog barking for no reason at all. :D
summer68
Axe
Axe

Post by summer68 »

I think with "The Nile Song" and "The Gold It's in the.....", Barbet Schroeder needed songs in certain styles to fit the mood of specific parts in the movies he was making. As for "San Tropez", I don't think that was too far out of their range.
RegV8
Blade
Blade

Post by RegV8 »

summer68, I agree with your point. These works was made for filling the script of the movies, they didn't have to be thinking as a regular Floyd Work. But is strange that Michelangelo Antonioni ask Floyd for a piece of Country Rock. He could get this more easy with another bands, specially american ones. And why the hell he refused "The Violence Sequence"?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

RegV8 wrote:And why the hell he refused "The Violence Sequence"?
Heaven only knows. If that isn't reason enough for a juicy 4CD box set, then I don't know what is. :lol:

On a similar theme, what do people here think of 'Crumbling Land'? I think it's rather attractive. I know David Gilmour didn't rate it very highly. He said there were other bands who could do that sort of thing far better. Personally, I think Pink Floyd came up with some good material when writing to order (see Obscured By Clouds, 'Nobody Home', etc).
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Rippin' guitar solo on "the Gold..." though. I kind of like the song and the vocals are sung well.