11%
It's crap!
11%
It's in between!
7%

Total votes: 27

NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

I think you're an absolute moron if you listen to it and judge it based on the fact that "Roger Waters isn't on the record". Who would do that? Those are the people that I would call the crazed Waters fans. When I listen to any recording I do it with a certain skill like most do.. listening is an art in itself and very sacred. I initially thought the Division Bell was an "ok" record.. it was the first Floyd record I owned. After purchasing the rest of the records I formed my own opinion that it was one of the weaker Floyd records I had heard. There are Floyd recordings that are considered to be weaker than the rest.. More has always fell in that category with most Floyd fans. But "Cymbaline" and "Green is the Colour" is better than ANYTHING on Lapse or Division Bell. To me it doesn't matter if Roger wasn't included.. I hear music and judge it... either good or it's bad. I feel that tunes like Cymbaline and Green is the Colour are magical tunes even on a weak Floyd soundtrack that, if put up next to any tunes off Lapse or DB, are far more greater. And both of those tunes from More that I chose are sung by Gilmour.. so you can't say that I'm not a Gilmour fan. I'm a Floyd fan so I'm obviously a huge fan of Dave.
bmet
Knife
Knife

The Division Bell

Post by bmet »

Co-incidently,I just pulled it out for the first time in (probably) 8 years.
I've always liked "Keep Talking" and remember being blown away when
I first heard it on a Radio preview show- just before the CD release.
The opening guitar melody and synthesizer sent chills up my spine.(Much like when I first heard "Welcome to the Machine"-Still my all time favourite Floyd Track). In my mind,DB was a definite return of Rick Wright to the fold.(He wasn't as prominent on "Momentary Lapse...").
"High Hopes" is my other favourite track.Being 43,it definitely triggers
a sense of nostalgia about the past.The whole idea about being together
with friends at school-and that slowly through High School a division
occurs that separates us from each other as we head out in the world
on our individual persuits.It is quite easy,now at my age, to remember
those early times.
A few other good tracks:"Wearing the Inside Out","Marooned"."Cluster One"& "Coming Back to Life".
Not a Classic album,but one I don't mind picking up and listening to every
now and then (Well I guess every 8 Years anyway....I have heard it more
than I have "Momentary Lapse..."!!!!)
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:
flashback wrote:It's the same as when Roger got Dave's help, but at least Dave was good enough to give credit where it was do.
Do you really believe David actually helped Roger Waters write lyrics for Pink Floyd from DSOTM-TFC? :lol: Gee, this would explain the high quality lyrics on PACOHH, KAOS and ATD, and the low quality lyrics on David Gilmour's solo albums, TDB, and MLOR. I suppose David helped write ATD's lyrics? :lol:
Flashback never wrote nor suggested that.
grant
Embryo
Embryo

Post by grant »

here here :!:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

mosespa wrote:I can't believe that I'm about to say this...(mosespa pulls out his can opener and grabs the can of worms)
That is a brilliant writing style you got there man, classic introduction.
mosespa wrote: I think TDB is a step in the right direction for the post-Waters Floyd...that is, if it's going to continue. But what I find rather interesting is how TDB seems to support the notion that the "Classic Pink Floyd Sound" is largely Rick Wright's creation.
Couldn't agree with you more. It was a step in the right direction because it had a lot more of an atmosphere than AMLOR did. This was much created by Write's great organ work that goes to similar effect on DSOTM and WYWH.
mosespa wrote: Notice that the albums that have the least input from Rick sound the least "Floydian" in the classic sense...Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut, AMLOR...and then, with TDB, they actually recapture that classic sound...perhaps in a more modern sense, though.
I always thought the wall and the final cut lacked the energy of WYWH, and yeah it probably was down to Wright partly. And AMLOR, a bunch of session men could never crecreate the classic Floyd sound.

TDB tour was in sound a lot like the classic pink floyd tours. The album sounds very modrern as each floyd album did at the time. Yet it still had the great organ elements off DSOTM and WYWH that created sweeping landscapes of music.

So, anyone like to extend upon that?
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

NewEarthMud,I didn't say Dave helped Roger with the lyrics I said Roger would bring his general idea for the music to the band and then Dave would enhance it and bring it to life.I as well as others do believe that P-F without Dave on guitar would leave Roger's lyrics bland and wanting to the point that P-F would never have been what we think of them today.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

?? are you addressing RPITI?? He was the one who said that, not me.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

flashback wrote:NewEarthMud,I didn't say Dave helped Roger with the lyrics I said Roger would bring his general idea for the music to the band and then Dave would enhance it and bring it to life.
Please explain to me when you think Roger did not give David credit when it was due.