final dsotm cover

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

decampos wrote: I reckon the artwork is a really important to record companies these days. Lots of images and general bumf and things will make it appear as though consumers get their money’s worth so they won’t just go and steal the mp3s from the internet
Yep. It's all quite sad IMO.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

As someone stated earlier or elsewhere, why did they have to mess with perfection? I don't understand the reasoning behind cluttering up the image with shrubbery. A Monty Python reference perhaps? Doubtful.

Now as an artist myself who has participated in the visual side of contributing to an art/music group, I definitely see the importance of the marriage of art and music in the form of the jacket artwork. If they wanted a modern/updated/new millenium feel, I think they could've achieved it using 3D imaging techniques *tastefully*, keeping the black background and classic pyramid, but without all this stained glass shrubbery stuff.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

what groups have you contributed to the visual side mother?
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Biota. I would call them "progressive experimentalism." If you plug in the name on Amazon or Allmusic.com you can see an example, although I see that Amazon doesn't have many images...hmmph. I also did their site design http://biotamusic.com

They usually use the same guy to do the front covers of their albums, but starting around 1986 my husband and I started contributing to the artwork inside too. They use about 6-12 visual artists on their releases. Their latest release, Invisible Map, I did the compact disc surface design.