General discussion about Pink Floyd.
NewEarthMud

the wall 2nd best selling cd award

Post by NewEarthMud »

Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

i see the wall surpassing Thriller in the future, cause The Wall as a double album counts double !!! So when 20 million copies of the wall are sold, it's counted as 40 million copies. That's why The Wall "sells" better than DSOTM.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

well that's useful; we now know what 4000 woolworths shoppers think.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

That's cold decampos.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Spinoza wrote:i see the wall surpassing Thriller in the future, cause The Wall as a double album counts double !!! So when 20 million copies of the wall are sold, it's counted as 40 million copies. That's why The Wall "sells" better than DSOTM.
I think it's only right it count as two albums. I mean, it costs MORE than two single albums where I am living (I saw it for 34 American bucks at the local Wal-Mart yesterday...Most single CDs are 14-15 bucks).
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

An album is an album. Is Abbey Road more of an album than Revolver just because it's longer? :?:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Abbey Road and Revolver both cost the same to the consumer. They're both ONE cd/tape/whatever each. In contrast, The White Album costs much more than Revolver or Abbey Road because it is two records/cds/tapes/whatever.

It's not like The Wall is the ONLY double album that counts as TWO sales when one copy is sold.

It only makes sense that it count as two albums since a double album usually costs MORE than the price of two single albums...
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

I think it's incredible the Wall has sold more as a cd than the White Album has.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

North Americans love a good double album, don't they!
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

NewEarthMud wrote:I think it's incredible the Wall has sold more as a cd than the White Album has.
They should have cut out all the deadwood in 'the white album' and made it a much tighter single disk release.

... just a semi-related thought.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

decampos wrote:
NewEarthMud wrote:I think it's incredible the Wall has sold more as a cd than the White Album has.
They should have cut out all the deadwood in 'the white album' and made it a much tighter single disk release.

... just a semi-related thought.
I couldn't agree more. I was ironically just having this same discussion last night. Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles record and I feel it's a lot better than the White album..

But the White Album by many is considered to be the greatest record of all time which is why it was hard to believe The Wall sold more as a cd..
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

NewEarthMud wrote:Abbey Road is a lot better than the White album.
I think so too. Abbey Road has a continuity and coherance unlike any other Beatles record... Especially the side two suite - stunning. 'Sun King' to 'The End' is genius. A really beautiful album. Some guy once wrote that the end of, uh, 'The End' is really ambiguous - in a bad way. Rubbish! Its ambiguity is the key to its appeal!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Brilliant.

Anyway, what were we talking about...?
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I dont think the wall should count as two CDs or whatever, i mean, as someone said, an album is an album

i think its cool that the Pulp Fiction soundtrack made the list, i love that soundtrack, one of the best ever
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Tommy wrote:I dont think the wall should count as two CDs or whatever, i mean, as someone said, an album is an album
An album is an album, but an album that is two CDs/Tapes/Whatever costs twice as much, if not more, than one CD/Tape/Whatever.

If they had sold The Wall as The Wall Part I and The Wall Part II, similar to how GNR released Use Your Illusion in two parts even though they were both released the same day, each album would have been considered separate from one another.

They call them double albums for a reason. Maybe I'm just missing something here, but I don't see what's so wrong with a double album being considered two sales instead of just one...