My thoughts

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

grateful pink wrote:Keith, I feel that it is difficult to mix statistical analysis with art. I just do not see that they work together---alot of high sales music (top40,etc)--suck. I would not listen to it if you paid me.Take DSOTM. It was high selling and it was a great album? What gives?That is a rarity. I do not think that math and science can explain everything (although I used to think that they would be able to eventually, I am not so sure anymore).
I agree completely. My point was assuming art was appreciated and evaluated by a function which is exogenous to the model. The statistical relationship is that people will not buy the music if they do not like it. Would you buy music YOU didn't like? I thought not. My actual point was that what one individual deems as good art is not good art to another.

I was talking about a statistically significant relationship which I believe exists. Personal preferences are peoples votes!! Perhaps I know what I want to say but I am not saying it too well. :lol:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Sales don't mean anything, otherwise the best albums ever are Thriller, Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and Rumours. Hmm, and brother in arms would be in the top 10.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:Sales don't mean anything, otherwise the best albums ever are Thriller, Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and Rumours. Hmm, and brother in arms would be in the top 10.
How is that so? What makes your opinion of what the best albums are more valid that a collective statistic which contains the tastes, preferences and judgements of the masses. People "vote" with what they buy in music terms. People do not buy what they do not like. I don't like your perspective, David. :lol:
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

kjnpf wrote: People "vote" with what they buy in music terms. People do not buy what they do not like.
But you still have to ask the question: "why do people like what they like?" It can't be just coincidence that nowadays so much people are in the music that is promoted on MTV etc.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

And what about people who *burn* what they like (instead of buying it)? Doesn't that skew the demographic some because the people who are not prone to burning--not because of moral or ethical reasons, but because they are not as technologically savvy--are more likely to be (dare I say) older? And have a different taste in music than younger people?

Well older than me, anyway! :lol: :P :roll:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I'm not saying my opinion is better than everyone elses. What i am saying really is that i don't think quality is related to sales, some musics's just not commericial. Think about the following

. The velvet underground are one of the best band i've ever had, they certianly didn't sell.

. Forver change by Love has sold less than a million copies so far.

. The best selling album of last year was Silver Side Up by Nicelback. Compare that to a less commericail ablbum like the BRMC album. Nickelback do more radio friendly songs and mtv friendly videos.

. Michael Jackson sells because of his name now, as all old bands do. Do you think the new rolling stones stuff sells on it's quality? This shows sales come from band loyalty. A loyalty which can often increase over the years. Did TDB sell because of it's quality or the name? The name i would think mostly and i bet it was one of the 10 best sellers of 1994.

. Oasis Definitly Maybe sold less than the album Be Here Now. Strange? i think so.

. Ever seen a public voted top 100 chart that include Thriller? I haven't either. Although i do see genuinely quality albums like The Stone Roses in which sold a fraction of the amount.

So want to test me some more?
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

" HAPPY ST. PADDYS DAY TO ALL " .... :)