I think it's marvelous

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

isn't that nick talking to the airport tower on "learning to fly" as well? not exactly a "performance", but still his voice... i think.
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

saucerfulofmeddle wrote:
fat_old_sun wrote: not correct. do some homework ;)
The Christmas Song!
...mmhh?! and where did it appear on? When?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

justa track they made, pretty silly actually. I dont think that anybody knows the exact date of the recording.
stranger at home
Axe
Axe

Post by stranger at home »

davidjay wrote:isn't that nick talking to the airport tower on "learning to fly" as well? not exactly a "performance", but still his voice... i think.
Also, I'm pretty darn sure it's Nick speaking in the background of Signs of Life....something about a child-like mind ????
D Loochini
Axe
Axe

Post by D Loochini »

I may be the only person out there who feels this way but I really can't take The Wall anymore. I've listened to it so many times that if I listen to it I can only play a couple songs. DSOTM I can listen to over and over. It just seems less preachy and more entertaining...more deep...I dunno. I guess it's my fault The Wall isn't my fave album of all time anymore.
Ultraman
Axe
Axe

Post by Ultraman »

You all need to do your homework... Nick Mason sings "proper" lead vocals on "Scream Thy Last Scream" (Old Woman with a Casket).
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Ultraman wrote:You all need to do your homework... Nick Mason sings "proper" lead vocals on "Scream Thy Last Scream" (Old Woman with a Casket).
Speaking of homework.

Ultraman
Axe
Axe

Post by Ultraman »

From Nick Mason's Inside Out (page 115) about Scream Thy Last Scream (Old Woman With A Casket) and Vegetable Man:

"They were initially intended to be potential singles, but were never satisfactorily finished. Both of these had vocals from me included in the mix, which may have some bearing on the matter."
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Ultraman wrote:From Nick Mason's Inside Out (page 115) about Scream Thy Last Scream (Old Woman With A Casket) and Vegetable Man:

"They were initially intended to be potential singles, but were never satisfactorily finished. Both of these had vocals from me included in the mix, which may have some bearing on the matter."
Yep...but I believe he's refering to the speeded up vocals NOT the main vocals....which absolutely sound like Syd.

rubh
Knife
Knife

Post by rubh »

Vlad The Impaler wrote: Yep...but I believe he's refering to the speeded up vocals NOT the main vocals....which absolutely sound like Syd.

Yes, the sped up vocals were from Nick.
Ultraman
Axe
Axe

Post by Ultraman »

Sorry lads, but I'm right on this.

Listen closely to the studio version and the live BBC version of Scream Thy Last Scream. The studio version is most definitely Nick (compare the vocals with the "Merry Christmas Song", also sung by Nick) and the BBC version is obviously Syd, with his stoned-out, flattened vocal style.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

even if it is only the speeded up background vocal
thats more Nick vocal content than One Of These Days
Jangus
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jangus »

D Loochini wrote:I may be the only person out there who feels this way but I really can't take The Wall anymore. I've listened to it so many times that if I listen to it I can only play a couple songs. DSOTM I can listen to over and over. It just seems less preachy and more entertaining...more deep...I dunno. I guess it's my fault The Wall isn't my fave album of all time anymore.
I'm with you kind of. I never feel like listening to it like before.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

J Ed wrote:even if it is only the speeded up background vocal
thats more Nick vocal content than One Of These Days
Absolutely true.....it was just that a post said "proper" vocals and to me those speeded up voices were more decoration than proper vocals.

Ultraman
Axe
Axe

Post by Ultraman »

If you listen to the speeded up vocals from "Scream..." slowed down to 16 rpm (available on the "Have You Got it Yet" set), they are definitely Syd. The only other Syd vocals are the parts where Syd sings "she'll be scrubbing bubbles on all fours". Nick Mason sings the rest of the lead vocals, and also says "oh, sock it to me..." before the instrumental freak-out section in the middle.

It doesn't take a great leap of imagination to suppose that Syd simply wasn't up to producing spirited lead vocals during the recording of this, their proposed third single, in August, 1967. It is well documented that Syd was at the peak of his crack-up during this time.

Syd obviously seemed up to the task of lead vocals again by the time "Apples and Oranges", "Vegetable Man" and "Jugband Blues" were recorded in December 1967.