WikiFloyd Website - Your Help Needed!!!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

I've just spent a while updating the On An Island page, trawling through news archives and checking details from the booklet. Lots of red links, which I'll try to update some information for.

Next up I'll tackle "2006 Tour - David Gilmour" and change it from being written in future tense!! Perhaps we could rename this article to "On An Island tour"?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Please dont rename any pages as other parts of the site link to them. Do add new stuff though! I will try add some tomottow too when I have finished putting the current magazine together! 8)
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

Keith Jordan wrote:Well, the history of Pink Floud project has the aim of filling the wiki up with info! I do add to it now and then myself and am disappointed that more poeple are not adding to it!!
Look no further Keith for I am your man. I have just joined the WikiProject PFon Wikipedia.org, not much going there.

Just tell me what needs expension and tell me.

BTW You need to start a maintenence system like they do on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Maintenance

That way someone would notice a problem on a certain article (expansion needed, needs cleanup, needs sources, deletion etc.) and they tag it. (example)

So don't see your wiki as a seperate project but as a seperate community.[/quote]
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I would like the wiki project to be big enough to warrant the putting together a team of volunteers to look after it but, alas, people don't seem to be editing at it much! I really dont know why. Perhaps people need more education about what to do? Perhaps I will write a tutorial on the basics of editing to encourage people to edit it! Do you think I should disable the option whereby people are required to register before they can edit? Perhaps that barrier is stopping too many people from contributing?

Anyway, I think it would be logical to get the discography finished first. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/wiki/ ... l_Releases
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Keith, perhaps whats needed is a direct link to the Wiki from the forums main page rather than the current one on NPFs home page which is small and a bit insignificant for such a major project...just my thoughts on it.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yeah, I was thinking of puttin the same "header" across the forum to tie all of the parts of the site together as it has been rather fragmented in the past. Good thinking!
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

I will take care of In The Flesh Live and The Wall Live In Berlin today. After church most likely.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Keith Jordan wrote: Perhaps people need more education about what to do? Perhaps I will write a tutorial on the basics of editing to encourage people to edit it!
Anyway, I think it would be logical to get the discography finished first. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/wiki/ ... l_Releases
YES!!! That's what keeps me from adding to it- I'm technologically retarded, and don't want to fuck it up! :roll:
I think a tutorial is a wonderful idea!
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

Don't ever let unregistered people edit unless you want to spend your time and energy on the wiki fixing up vandalsm.

Okay I'll write a tutorial and start a maintnence crew page. But not now, homework :?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

You sound like a project leader! 8)

Spambots have a great time with unprotected wikis by spamming them with spam links!! I think I will keep it for registered people only for now. :)

I have been adding some stuff about "people" for the past couple of days. I will continue with that...
Blade
Blade

Post by 0010 »

sorry all, i was hoping to work more on it, but i kinda got stuck and could not progress much further. then i guess it slipped my mind. but, hey, anyone know a good place for tips on working with the wiki?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tutorial

If there are any specifit questions you have, pelase just ask here if the page above doesnt cover it!
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

I'm going to 'adopt' David Gilmour. Some may have noticed I've updated all the On An Island related pages, and I'll now work backwards and do the In Concert, About Face and self-titled pages similarly. I'll also try to fill in all the blanks for the associated musicians that I've created links to (Wyatt, Bowie, Crosby & Nash, etc).

What's the intent with regards concert dates? At the moment we have mostly empty articles for the venues - why not create an article for each tour date, and include setlists and details of any bootleg recordings, etc? The naming system could mirror that on the tracker, eg DG-2006-05-27 would refer to a specific concert.

Also, why does Leaving Beirut redirect to Leaving Beiruth?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I was thinking about the concert dates. As we discuss the history of pink floyd, perhaps do listings for each concert as we progress through that. Add pages like Concert:1980-08-07 in Concert category. Details of the concert and RoIOs availabel for it could then be on that page perhaps?
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

Sounds good, but there might be problems for some dates in 1987. Weren't Floyd and Waters touring at the same time, and no doubt sometimes playing on the same dates? Can cross that bridge when we come to it, but a simple fix might be to have the Floyd dates like you suggested, but add a -RW or -DG at the end of a date if it is a solo concert.