Should this forum have rules?

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.

What rules should this community have?

No rules
4%
Less rules
23%
Same rules
73%
More rules
No votes

Total votes: 56

SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

I've said it before, I'll say it again: One of the MAIN reasons I came to this forum was because there was no Waters/Gilmour bashing. I appreciate that very very very much so. It often seems one cannot be a fan of Syd Barrett's without thinking badly of Waters and/or Gilmour, and one MUST have a preference to Waters, Gilmour, or Barrett...or even just Waters and Gilmour.

I see nothing wrong with stating an opinion, however simply state it and move on. There is no need to continually drive a point home, if it's already known how you feel about a subject. I'm having this problem with the other internet group I'm a part of. Keith knows what I'm talking about. It's annoying. And unnecessary.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

W1P wrote:I want to state my bias from the outset -- I tried to post some info about a Floyd tribute CD done in part by a Floyd tribute band and I was hit with Rule #8 "no advertising"

<snip>

If the people who frequent this site are interested in Floyd-related information similar to what I posted, why should it be banned? Isn't there a way to modify the rule to permit the posting of Floyd-related information even if there is a commercial content to it?
You were using the forum as a "market" for the purpose of selling a commercial CD. This forum is for the discussion of Pink Floyd and related stuff. Not selling. I think it changes things against your case considering that the very FIRST post you made was your selling one.

If somebody says that they like the new Barrett DVD that is out and it is this and that, then that is okay. But signing up to the forum for the sole purpose of sellign something will not be tolerated. Unreasonable? :roll:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Keith Jordan wrote: If you are the type of individual who likes to set waters up against gilmour then there are plenty of other forums to do this.
Lately, whenever I have said anything of substance someone has accused me of setting up something against someone. It's ridiculous.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Why did you bother putting up this poll, Keef?
My name is Keith, Will, and I put up this poll to discover the opinions of the people of our community on one ordered topic. Why else?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

(I think RPITI was making a Stones reference. :wink:)
FloydianTheo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by FloydianTheo »

Same rules is enough, I think.

Shine on,
Theo
Wee Mac
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Wee Mac »

Having been on other forums, I would say that the rules as they stand are okay. Some rules will no doubt irritate some members but on the whole it is our forum. We can all start splitiing hairs and find faults in any of the rules but I suggest we try and make them work. Its up to us to use it sensibly - to get the most from it.
One forum was so badly run that complaints were sent to the webmaster who powered the site and he (or she) eventually scrapped it.
I think the rules are fine as they are.

Rehards

Iain
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:An oppressive regime isn't so bad when all are living under it. It's when there's a select few that get to live in luxury, that's when it sucks. Hope this makes sense.
Oh, and Keith, I wasn't implying that this or any other message board is an oppressive regime :lol: I was just using that as an example. Maybe I should've used a different one, like when a teacher whips all the students it doesn't hurt as bad as if he only singles you out to whip.
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

It seems that the only people who moan about the rules are the ones who want to break them....I have no problems with the current rules.....they don't really seem to affect me

But I will echo the question asked above by RPITI....why bother with this poll Keith?......It's your website, and your message board.....do what you think is best......if people don't like it they don't have to come here
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Keith, I appreciate that you're allowing input from the members. I would like to see the rules remain as they are.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I would like to say that no one should be banned without having been given a warning & possible 1week temp ban to show them what it would be like without this forum.I would also like to see all words that can not be said be posted somewhere on the forum,my reason for this was I was edited for saying the pis- word after seeing it used before on this forum & then got edited.It may not be no big deal for some but I count on the filter to cut out any bad words so I don't get edited.When I do get edited I expect it to be for a good reason not for 1 stupid word that if I wasn't allowed to say should have been put in the filter.Those that do edit need to be carefull not to edit over stupid stuff, for this is seen as being heavy-handed & possibilty as abuse of power.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

flashback wrote:I would like to say that no one should be banned without having been given a warning & possible 1week temp ban to show them what it would be like without this forum.I would also like to see all words that can not be said be posted somewhere on the forum,my reason for this was I was edited for saying the pis- word after seeing it used before on this forum & then got edited.It may not be no big deal for some but I count on the filter to cut out any bad words so I don't get edited.When I do get edited I expect it to be for a good reason not for 1 stupid word that if I wasn't allowed to say should have been put in the filter.Those that do edit need to be carefull not to edit over stupid stuff, for this is seen as being heavy-handed & possibilty as abuse of power.
Sorry about that incident. Remember, I have to sit here and work hard to make thir forum work. I have to add the words to the swear filter and try to apply consistently the forum rules. People will not be banned for swearing.
JAXREBFAN
Axe
Axe

forum rules

Post by JAXREBFAN »

Everything and every forum need rules to go by so things will stay in control! Nuff Said..... 8)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I think the rules are fine, at first i hated them but they have certainly made this forum more of a community without a few people ruining it for everyone else at times.

I do have one thing to debate, the word bloody being censored 'cause i would consider it a polite swear word if there's such thing, not nearly bad enough to be censored, everyone says it, in fact, people are meant to be atleast 13 to join yeah? They probably use the word all the time, unless they're on to the F word of course.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:I do have one thing to debate, the word bloody being censored 'cause i would consider <snip>
you got your way david!! :lol: