Forum back online

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum back online

Post by Keith Jordan »

Somebody decided it would be a good idea to hack into my sites server and delete the database which stores and runs the forum! Not very nice and a little anti-social.

Anyway, the database was backed up 3 days prior to the deleting of the database and it has now been restored. The damage is that we have lost 3 days posts and members but at least we have 99% of our community back!!

My site has now been moved to a more secure Red Hat Linux/Apache server and is more secure now. I hope this doesn't happen again in the future.

The computer crime unit here in Britain have been informed and the security breach is being investigated. May god help that person who hacked into my server. You're going to prison buddy! :twisted:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Yeah... wasn't the best day of my life when I found out the forum had been deleted. :lol: :? :x

I think a trip to B&Q for another axe is in order. :lol: :twisted:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Keith, I felt so bad that this had to happen. :cry: I will never understand the whole concept of malicious hacking. I mean, if you have the tech know-how to do something like that, why not put it to creative use?

What concerns me, does this now mean this hacker has our passwords?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:Keith, I felt so bad that this had to happen. :cry: I will never understand the whole concept of malicious hacking. I mean, if you have the tech know-how to do something like that, why not put it to creative use?

What concerns me, does this now mean this hacker has our passwords?
Fortunately, the passwords stored on the server are encrypted using MD5 so they are not decipherable (sp?). You can rest assured that the hacker has not obtained your password.

All other data is stored in text format so is readable by me and anybody who hacks in.

Malicious hacking is an immoral thing. What possible motivation could they have had in deleting a Pink Floyd forum?

The person edited the ban list, deleted the posts and tinkered with some other stuff. So I am thinking it may have been somebody I banned. I have only banned a handful of people so I have my suspicions and it follows that the computer crimes unit also have their suspicions! :roll: :lol:
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Well hopefully this l33t hax0r gets caught! :evil: :evil:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I have added some interesting and powerful IP tracking software to the forum. Thought I would just let people know for their privacy concerns. It's nothing to worry about. It just looks at who is connecting to the site.
kaya
Axe
Axe

Post by kaya »

glad you're back!! :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

kaya wrote:glad you're back!! :D
Indeed! Welcome back yourself!! :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Half way through my 17th birthday i found out the forum was down. Quite strange to say the least.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

I can't stand it when people find it necessary to destroy or deface the hard work of others. I think you did a great job of handling the situation, Keith (not to mention being prepared with backups - three days is nothing when you consider what could have been lost!). I hope the hacker does face an appropriate punishment in the end.

It's good to have everyone back!
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

In the Imortal words of Homer Simpson. "WAHOO"
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

David Smith wrote:Half way through my 17th birthday i found out the forum was down. Quite strange to say the least.
Hey, I also had my 17th birthady in May, actually it was yesterday (17th may). So happy birthday!
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

Congratulations for getting the forum back up so quickly Keith! [-D-] I certainly hope whoever did this will be caught.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Glad you're back; It's a shame that some people have no respect for others property.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

I found that my time online was cut drastically by the forum being down...haha. Anyway, glad to be back "home". :)

Sorry this happened to you, Keith.