Your User Account and Password Issues - Max No. of Logins...

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your User Account and Password Issues - Max No. of Logins...

Post by Keith Jordan »

There is a "worm" going round at the minute that registers accounts on PHPbb forums like this one, downloads the members user names from the members list then tries to use "brute force" (which means guessing your user name and password by trying thousands of combinations) in order to access your account and post spam.

Fortunately, I have the settings switched on whereby, if you enter the wrong password three times, the account gets locked out for a period of time.

What to do....

If you account gets locked out, you will see a screen where you have to enter your username and password. It will also say that you should enter the letters and numbers from the image you see below. You just need to enter "2" as the answer to the question at the bottom of the form. There is no CAPTCHA image to enter from.

If you get really stuck you can contact me, the admin, using the link below. Just let me know your forum username.

contact admin > http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... tact-admin
pffan1990

Re: Your User Account and Password Issues - Max No. of Logins...

Post by pffan1990 »

<.8.> Thanks for the heads-up!

But since your 'switch' thing, does that mean for now our accounts are pretty much safe for the moment? So far, I haven't gotten locked out and you have already made the switch and I do know my password and I just now logged in and all seems well. Would you recommend changing my password now or is there really not a point to do so?

Thanks again for the heads-up.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Your User Account and Password Issues - Max No. of Logins...

Post by Keith Jordan »

If none of the above applies to you, then I guess you are unaffected.