Thoughts on this sites future, its not exactly happening.

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Not Syd
Embryo
Embryo

Thoughts on this sites future, its not exactly happening.

Post by Not Syd »

Guys and Gals, it occurred to me when I first joined here looking for the ultimate Pink Floyd "WEB" discussion site that something was up.

It cant all be Facebooks fault as has been suggested this place is almost dead now.

There is absolutely no doubt that the demand for Pink Floyd is as big as ever ... so why has this site failed so far?

Well, Youtube would be one answer, but definitely not Facebook, but what both those site share that this site desperately lacks is a means to share pictures and even video in mainstream ways these days.

How much has this site missed in recent times with someone like me strolling along and think they could share experiences with all, only to find the daft "you cant do that here" rules when trying to post a pic or vid.

It seems to be the exact same software many sites use, but here much of the function is blocked? Or the owner is not sure how to put in use or charge for it if they wish?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on this sites future, its not exactly happening

Post by Keith Jordan »

The site is very popular in general, just not the forum. 100k+ view the photo gallery per month, for example. The forum has just lost its momentum because there are not enough people starting new topics and/or everything has already been discussed. Combine that with people spending more time on social media and video sites so they physically have less time to spend on old fashioned forums.
Not Syd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Not Syd »

Keith Jordan wrote:The site is very popular in general, just not the forum. 100k+ view the photo gallery per month, for example. The forum has just lost its momentum because there are not enough people starting new topics and/or everything has already been discussed. Combine that with people spending more time on social media and video sites so they physically have less time to spend on old fashioned forums.
My mistake, shame really, because I love to chat Floyd.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

When Misters Water and Gilmour finally get around to releasing their new albums and touring I reckon the site will pick up.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Not to come off wrong, even though I AM mosespa, I think the reason that forum attendance has dropped off is down to the likes of facebook and for this simple reason:

Low moderation.

On facebook, a person can say what they want to and not have to be concerned with whether or not someone else gets butt-hurt by it. If anyone DOES get butt-hurt, you can always say "hey, it's my page and if you don't like it, block me" or better yet, just block them yourself.

More autonomy.

I'm not slagging THIS forum specifically...technically, ALL forums are moderated with an eye towards keeping pussies from getting butt-hurt and I'm sure that other forums are also experiencing the same drop off in activity due to the relative freedom of things like facebook.

There was a time when bulletin boards like this one were the main ways that people from all over the world communicated with each other.

That is no longer the case. Talking to people in comparatively remote quadrants of the world is easier than it was merely six years ago.

Places like this may never die...but myspace and facebook were certainly game-changers in the realm of mass communications.

*shrug*
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I'm not sure it's all about forums being an old-fashioned format. About a year ago or so when I was a member of one of the largest The Strokes' forums (if not THE largest) people would talk and talk and talk. Unfortunately, it was mostly premature talk and at times it felt rather like a Lady Gaga forum, but that's not the point. The point I have is, while Pink Floyd are still one of the biggest bands ever, they're not a band that teens talk about at school. PF just do not have the same kind of hype, if I may say so, and teens, along with young adults, are those who spend time of the internet the most.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Personal reason for me is school.

I guess there are only a few "core" members here (heck, I don't even know if Alan and Gus and co even come here anymore) and the new members, who are really the ones who can add some novelty to the forum, just come and go. Not the best recipe for a 10+ year old forum.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I still check in fairly regularly, but when I don't see many people posting it doesn't encourage me to add anything. One thing that may have contributed to the decline if even to a small extent is that many of this forum's original members have left due to a variety of reasons. Alan, Roger (PI) and myself were all about 14-15 years old when we joined 10 years ago, and I know that in my case at least I've become busy with other things.

It doesn't take that many people talking to have an active forum. In this forums latter days, say 2008-2010, there were probably only 5-6 people posting on a daily basis but that was enough to keep the forum going even though posts had started to drop off some by that point.