Jazz

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Jazz

Post by J Ed »

I purchased a nice vinyl copy of Miles Davis and Horns
why? its one of his least known albums from his early 50s junkie phase
because the cover art is by MADs Maddest Artist Don Martin
according to wikipedia before joining MAD magazine, Martin did several covers for the Prestige label ("The Art Farmer Septet" (Prestige LP 7031), "Sonny Stitt / Bud Powell / J.J. Johnson" (Prestige LP 7024), Kai Winding's "Trombone By Three" (Prestige LP 7023) and Stan Getz' "The Brothers" (Prestige LP 7022)", all easily found with a Google Image search
and before that he trained as a technical draftsman, which makes sense since his art is so clean and modular and dehumanising

as for the soundtrack to this beautiful drawing, the two sides are from two sessions two years apart by two different lineups, linked by the fact each features three to four horns
I suppose its more Hard Bop than genteel Cool Jazz, but sounds just as arranged as the Gil Evans stuff

(funny we dont have a proper Miles Davis thread)

I also recently picked up two Thelonious Monk LPs (...Plays Duke Ellingtonand Misterioso) on the Riverside label because the cover art was so fine, but in Monks case that is some of his most essential music

(i didnt bother looking for a Monk thread since this last bit was just an afterthought)
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

J ed. You really should pick up Cannonball Adderley's The Price You Gotta Pay To Be Free. You have a huge gap in your jazz collection if you don't pay attention to what Cannonball was doing in the late 60s / early 70's.
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

Idisaffect wrote:
Stephen wrote:There isn't much free jazz in Wayne Shorter's music. His composing style is very structured with spots for improvising built in.
Coming back to my description of Shorter's music as having free elements was wrong. I totally agree with your description above. I didn't convay my feeling correctly. What I should have said is that I feel some of his music can be quite dissonant and this dissonance can take a while to appreciate.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to see Herbie Hancock play in Manchester last year. Totally mind blowing show. What an entertainer! He really worked hard through the whole ~2 hour set (with no break!!) Anyone else see the man in action recently?
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I've been listening to a bit of Django Reinhardt these days. I love Sweet Georgia Brown and Nuages- his guitar style was so unique.

Another favourite album of mine is Brilliant Corners by Thelonious Monk - it's pure genius.
scott tenorman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by scott tenorman »

The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady, A Love Supreme, Kind Of Blue, Bitches Brew, Third, Out To Lunch, My Favourite Things, Bird & Diz, Pithecantropus Erectus.

Those are some of my favourite jazz (and all time) records.