Jazz

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

my breakfast. wrote:Dedicated to you....
The organ on that track is great! They really were a fantastic band.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

PublicImage wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Dedicated to you....
The organ on that track is great! They really were a fantastic band.
Amen and Oh Yeah for that :smt045 :smt038
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

my breakfast. wrote:Dedicated to you.... thats a Soft Machine track, and I LOVE SOFT MACHINE! they are one of my favorite fusion bands fer sure.
Elton Dean and Robert Wyatt play on the Keith Tippet version!
saucerfulofmeddle wrote:Anyone like Medeski, Martin & Wood here?
I like Medeski, Martin, and Wood...though I haven't heard much...Shack Man is the only album I've really heard
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Do you mean Frank Zappa jazz or just regular old jazz?

For the Zappa stuff, yes I love it.
radiowaves

Post by radiowaves »

manfred mann. early sixties jazz/psychedelic rock combo. excellent sound. anything before 1970 is a must for both sets of fans.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I bought "Bitches Brew" by Miles Davis yesterday. It's an album you need to get into, but it's definitely growing on me. There are some great grooves to be found here. And with bandmembers like Wayne Shorter, Joe Zawinul and John McLaughlin, it definitely boasts an all-star band. Damn good fusion record!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

The name John McLaughlin alone is enough to make anything worth buying! If you're into McLaughlin, you should check out Shakti if you haven't already. It's not exactly jazz, but still amazing musicianship from John McLaughlin and his group of Indian goons! They're amazing live as well.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I've heard "The Meeting Of The Spirits" from Mahavishnu Orchestra's first album, and it's great. I'm definitely picking up that album when I get the chance. I only know of Shakti by name, but I'll be sure to check them out sometime! Thanks for the recommendation!

I mainly bought this album because it's hailed as the first real fusion album, and because it has Zawinul and Shorter on it. I'm still a huge Weather Report fan, and I was lucky enough to get "Heavy Weather" as a birthday present! Some of the synths sound a bit dated, but it's a fantastic album nonetheless.

And by the way, I also bought "Word Of Mouth" by Jaco recently. While not fusion, it's a superb demonstration of power from the best electric bass player in the world, both as a bassist and as a big band leader. It gets a bit heavy on the brass, strings and Toots Thielemans sometimes, but it is mostly excellent. Pity Jaco never got to show us that side of his talent.
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

Great 70's jazzy bands:

Hatfield and the North
Matching Mole
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

The Inner Mounting Flame is an amazing album. The interplay between John McLaughlin's guitar and Jerry Goodman's violin is incredible. The speeds those guys play at are mindblowing. Cobham's drumming is amazing as well, the rest of the band didn't get nearly as much credit as they deserved. Birds of Fire is slightly better because Jan Hammer is more involved in that one. There's also the addition of the Moog on that one, so Hammer can bend notes , making the interplay between guitar and keyboard far better than when it was just the electric piano. It's a shame they split up after only 2 studio albums were released.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Jazz? I prefer Jazz Fusion. To me Jazz is standards like Take the A train, or Autumn Leaves. 'Mon Soft Machine!
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Speaking of fusion...
Joe Zawinul wrote:It's all crap. Fusion is all crap. I hate it. There is no fusion. What's fusion? Can you tell me what it is? I think most fusion music stinks and to be put in the fusion category is an insult. It's the writers who are putting us in this category because it's easy and there's no other place to put us. In Europe they have the right idea. They say Weather Report is the leader in a field of one. There's nobody like us. We don't play rock 'n' roll or jazz-rock or whatever that crap is. We play our own original music and that's that.
:lol:

As for old-style jazz, I don't listen to that regularly, but I grew up with it. I could name all the legends when I was, like, 3 years old (although there were slight pronuncation problems). My dad has a huge jazz vinyl collection, so I guess I've heard every theme in the book in my childhood. I don't know any by name, but put one on and it's guaranteed to bring up some memory!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

olzen wrote:I mainly bought this album (Bitches Brew) because it's hailed as the first real fusion album....

have you heard the albums immediately preceding it? In A Silent Way and Les Femmes De Kilamanjaro?
I'm not sure why Bitches Brew gets the status off being first fusion album, as it was the next step in an evolution of his sound that had been happening throughout the 60s
maybe cuz the 60s quintet was officially finished and guitars were more prominent?
Miles was just calling all this music "New Directions In Sound by Miles Davis"

also, Ive read that there was an earlier band with Kieth Jarrett and Jack DeJohnette that may deserve the title of first fusion band
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

Miles Davis "Pangaya" live 1975 is unbelievable. That's what I call heavy jazz straight from the jungle!
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

J Ed wrote:
olzen wrote:I mainly bought this album (Bitches Brew) because it's hailed as the first real fusion album....

have you heard the albums immediately preceding it? In A Silent Way and Les Femmes De Kilamanjaro?
No, actually I don't know that much Miles Davis. My dad doesn't like him, but I've borrowed one of the few albums that he has with him - "In Person Friday And Saturday Nights At The Blachawk", a pretty good 4 CD set, but it ain't electric Miles! I'd like to hear "In A Silent Way". Mainly because I know the title track has been performed by Weather Report. If it's as good as (or better than) "Bitches Brew", I'll definitely add it to my ever-growing collection.

Damn you and your recommendations, people! One day I'll be standing on a street corner begging for dimes because of you! :wink: