Jazz

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

olzen wrote:Damn you and your recommendations, people! One day I'll be standing on a street corner begging for dimes because of you! :wink:
You really should beg for something more valuable than dimes!

Try busking!
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I've considered it. However, while I want to become a musician, I don't want to spend my life standing on said street corner playing campfire-singalongs on a broken guitar! I'd say the hobo-routine would work nicely.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Jacos solo debut is Gold. It's one of the best, if not the best, jazz album I've ever heard! It's right up there with Bitches Brew for me :)

I'm a massive jaco fan and I reccomend that you all give "Jaco Pastorius" a listen!
JKealy
Blade
Blade

Post by JKealy »

"Mingus Moves" (1973) is a good example of an obscure jazz album that's really, really good. "Under Milk Wood" by Stan Tracey is fantastic too...
kagee
Judge!
Judge!

Post by kagee »

MikeWaters wrote:Jacos solo debut is Gold. It's one of the best, if not the best, jazz album I've ever heard! It's right up there with Bitches Brew for me :)

I'm a massive jaco fan and I reccomend that you all give "Jaco Pastorius" a listen!
Funny you should mention Jaco. I have been reading up on him recently.

Definitely going to check him out.
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

I'm trying to get my hands on some Thelonious Monk. I don't know much about jazz, but I'm fond of listening to the old "standards" on Sundays. Soothing, you know?
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

Jaco is amazing. his bass work is legendary and he has some great jazz. im also quite fond of the Clapton and Friends jazz show.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

Most of all I listen to early jazz of the 1920s... artists like Jelly Roll Morton, Armand Piron, Ma Rainey, Duke Ellington, Clarence Williams, Thomas "Fats" Waller (his '20s pipe organ solos sound like outer space music--some of these were mixed into the 'Eraserhead' film soundtrack), many others...

Before the commercial "swing era" began around 1935, some musical boundaries were not so defined--so there were things like (violinist) Piron's New Orleans Orchestra, singer/guitarist Blind Blake with Jimmy Bertrand on xylophone, the Dixieland Jug Blowers, the Texas Blues Destroyers (just trumpet and accordion), also Ma Rainey and her Tub Jug Washboard Band, bizarre and beautiful...
Kimon
Blade
Blade

Post by Kimon »

I am listening, these days, Django Reinhardt. I think he was the best jazz guitarist of all time. Along with some others he's my favourite jazz musician and I trully recommend this type of jazz.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I just went to one of my best concerts in my life last night. Willy Egmose trio (a Danish trio) featuring none other than Scott Hamilton!

HOT DAMN! I have never heard anything like it. One of the smallest venues out in the country, a Danish blind organist and a true jazz legend and this thing took right off the ground! Willy Egmose must be the only white blind musician I know (born without eyes, even), and he plays with as much passion and energy as, say, Oscar Peterson. Scott Hamilton needs no introduction. Every sound he could wring out from that tenor sax was worth its weight in gold. So was his ongoing fight with his very complicated mic stand!

After highlights such as a hauntingly beautiful "Some Day My Prince Will Come" and a furious "Broadway", I was completely in awe. I was the youngest member of the audience and one of the few who hadn't gone grey and I loved every second of it. I was also fortunate enough to get Hamilton to sign my ticket after the show :)

It's gonna be difficult to listen to jazz after an experience like that...
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

Filth

Not music

Boring

Honestly if you play Jazz its cause you're shit at music and cant come up with anything that sounds good. IMO of course
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

olzen wrote:I just went to one of my best concerts in my life last night. Willy Egmose trio (a Danish trio) featuring none other than Scott Hamilton!

HOT DAMN! I have never heard anything like it. One of the smallest venues out in the country, a Danish blind organist and a true jazz legend and this thing took right off the ground! Willy Egmose must be the only white blind musician I know (born without eyes, even), and he plays with as much passion and energy as, say, Oscar Peterson. Scott Hamilton needs no introduction. Every sound he could wring out from that tenor sax was worth its weight in gold. So was his ongoing fight with his very complicated mic stand!

After highlights such as a hauntingly beautiful "Some Day My Prince Will Come" and a furious "Broadway", I was completely in awe. I was the youngest member of the audience and one of the few who hadn't gone grey and I loved every second of it. I was also fortunate enough to get Hamilton to sign my ticket after the show :)

WOW!! You actually met Scott Hamelton, amazing! I love the standard "Someday my prince will come" It's also thrown in on Miles Davis Blue In Green if you listen to the chords played on piano, beautiful.
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

pinknewbie wrote:Filth

Not music

Boring

Honestly if you play Jazz its cause you're shit at music and cant come up with anything that sounds good. IMO of course
Sorry but your opinion is completely wrong. Jazz is one of the most complicated forms of music. Only real masters of musical theroy and performance can play it well. If you dont get it its simply that you dont understand.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

apocalypse wrote:
olzen wrote:I just went to one of my best concerts in my life last night. Willy Egmose trio (a Danish trio) featuring none other than Scott Hamilton!

WOW!! You actually met Scott Hamelton, amazing! I love the standard "Someday my prince will come" It's also thrown in on Miles Davis Blue In Green if you listen to the chords played on piano, beautiful.
Yeah, I met the man himself - he was very down-to-Earth and thanked me when I told him how much I'd enjoyed the show. Pretty lucky, cause I was rather shy. Not every day you meet such a man. Furthermore, he's quite a character! His suit was a throwback to 30's fashion, then there's the mic stand fight and while talking to me, he didn't take his (huge) cigar out of his mouth!

"Some Day My Prince Will Come" is certainly beautiful. I've yet to hear Miles' version, but I've got a live version somewhere.
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

The version I refer to is on Kind of Blue, written by Bill Evans. It's just a little reference where the piano chords change to the ones in "Someday...", then it moves back to the previous chord progression. Masterful!!
I saw Duke Ellington's band when I ws really young, conducted by the Duke's grandson. I think it was my first jazz experience. It was amazing, a real professional and world famous Big Band playing the standards I love today.