what's the last album you bought?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: what's the last album you bought?

Post by Massed Gadgets »

rememberaday wrote:After Bathing At Baxter's by Jefferson Airplane. Really digging it til now.
Awesome album! Perhaps my favourite JA album, although I love them all.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Massed Gadgets wrote:
rememberaday wrote:After Bathing At Baxter's by Jefferson Airplane. Really digging it til now.
Awesome album! Perhaps my favourite JA album, although I love them all.
Yup. I never really got the hype that Surrealistic Pillow was the group's best album. Baxter's is less commercial than Pillow (but more experimental), and hence may be a bit hard to swallow if you listen to Pillow first. The first thing that hooked me to Baxter's was its cover art. This album is drenched with psychedelic features, and can even be considered a bit progressive.

My favourite tracks are The Ballad of You and Me an Pooneil, Rejoyce and Martha.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I think its more the case Surrealistic... includes their two best known songs
and at the time its clean pop production style would have made it more accessible to a mainstream audience
but it did not represent what they really sounded like

...Baxters is by far my favourite Airplane album, and I am with you re the cover art and the quasiproggishness of it
do you also have Crown of Creation, Bless Its Pointed Little Head, and Volunteers? all are essential if you like ...Baxters, including the live album which features Kaukonen and Cassity more prominently than their studio records
those 5 above named albums are the ones that feature their classic lineup, other Airplane albums with other lineups should wait until youve absorbed those five
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

J Ed- Truth be told, I’m a new fan of the Airplane; all I’ve got till now is Surrealistic Pillow and Baxter’s. Surrealistic Pillow is playful and flower-power, wheras Baxter’s is more acid and brooding. I plan to get Crown of Creation and Bless Its Pointed Head. I won’t be planning to listen to Starship in any case (no matter how much you torture me). I’m always surprised how Jefferson Airplane is not praised more- they seem to be known only to 60s enthusiasts. :?
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

If you guys wish to discuss After Bathing At Baxter's in detail, I've made a thread for you. Check it out.
soccer_en
Embryo
Embryo

Post by soccer_en »

Jason Mraz concert. that is last bought :-;
henno

Post by henno »

PORCUPINE TREE: LIGHTBULB SUN
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I don't understand this thread.

" what's the last album you bought? "

Do stolen albums count? 8-[
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I generally only put the last physical album (CD, Vinyl. Cassette) I purchased. Stuff I've downloaded (legally) or obtained through my webzine I don't list, because there's just far too much of it. But that's just me. There are no rules for this thread, as far as I know.

My last purchases were:

Sleepy Sun - Embrace (CD)
Sleepy Sun - Spine Hits (CD)
Krang - They Came From Planet D (CD)
Krang - Sonic Portage (cassette)
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

us old people still think in terms of going outside to a store of some sort, digging through the crates, picking and choosing and in the case of vinyl checking the surface quality, then going home to listen with an interval of aniticipation between the store and the house
its a generational thing, its quite possible younger music consumers will never experience the addition of a new album to the archives in the same way
for me digital acquisitons are research, and regardless of enjoyment of listening, the very process of obtaining the album is so different it is not in any sense the same experience at all

last album I bought two weekends ago: Miles Davis Kind of Blue on vinyl
I actually picked it up and looked at it three times in the store, where I'd found it in the $10- bin, and debated its physical merits with the shopkeeper, decided the cover was a bit creased and there was a visible mark on it or two, and walked out without making a purchase ... went across the street and had a pint on a sunny patio, and thought objectively about when was the last time I saw a decent copy of Kind of Blue on vinyl for $10-??, decided if nothing else it would be a very acceptable placeholder for an essential album any selfrespecting musicfan ought to have in the collection and went back and purchased the durn thang

then I walked back along some trails along the river (the record store I went to, Speed City Records, is a half hour walk outside the centre of London, Ontario, and there is mostly parkland in between), watched some garpike swimming in the shallow mucky water, and just when I was walking past some suspicious looking teenagers with no chance to avoid them, one said "got some nice vinyl there dude?" and I showed him the cover and the young lad knew exactly the significance of Miles Davis Kind of Blue and said he and his bud were getting into jazz despite being mere pups, and we chatted about jazz a bit, and where to find records, then I told them where Speed City was since theyd heard of it but never been there, and I remembered to tell them Speed City would be having a parking lot sale with dozens of dealers set up outdoors in a couple of weeks, if they were looking for some good deals on collectible vinyl: my good deed of the day, both for the store owner and these new generation music enthusiasts

then after getting some supper and another pint I took the train home and finally had a chance to listen to my new record round 10pm, and you know I couldnt even hear those marks on the vinyl
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

This nice story needs a decent soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X7NOh7lTf8

I can picture you walking along the riverside with that bassline floating around in the air ;)
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Storm Corrosion - s/t
Rush - Clockwork Angels
henno

Post by henno »

Massed Gadgets wrote:Storm Corrosion - s/t
Rush - Clockwork Angels