Anything that sound like Pink Floyd

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Anything that sound like Pink Floyd

Post by Idisaffect »

Annoying Twit wrote: I don't mind tracks that imitate other artists, as long as the overall sound and songwriting is good. I wouldn't be at all worried if it was a "forgery" :D
I agree. I love bands like Spinal Tap and The Rutles. And Ween.

Ween has a couple of floyd type songs, here's one that mixes Floyd with Jethro Tull.....The Jethro Tull part is at 3:45.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NWsN97B4Ug
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

how about this-Airbag
http://www.airbagsound.com/
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Both the Ween song and the Airbag album "All Rights Removed" are very, very, Floydish. So much so that it must be deliberate. I'm liking the Airbag song "Never Coming Home" and how could you get more Floydian than "Homesick"?

Bit disappointed by what's on Jon Carin's myspace page. "Trust No-one" is clearly Rog/Floyd influenced, but to be honest I'm not sure I like it. "Nothing's Wrong Air India", presumably from the album he did with Richard Butler, is better and Floyd-influenced, but I'd describe it as "good", not "excellent". Somewhat better is this song "Green is the colour". http://www.myspace.com/technologyanalog ... n-43218464 No, it's not the song you expect! Though, in a similar style.

Edit: No, it appears that this band Truth Movement' is a vehicle for ex-child actor Corey Feldman, who is a born again Christian it seems. I found this review:

http://blogcritics.org/music/article/mu ... -movement/
At times, I felt as though I were listening to a Christian band whose roots came from the big hair days of rock music (there’s just a little too much God in it for me), but throughout the entire time, it’s clearly evident that this group is very much inspired by Pink Floyd: Feldman’s deep, whisky-voiced vocals sound a lot like Roger Waters; the cover art is the work of Dark Side of the Moon artist Storm Thorgerson; and two of the album’s guest-artists are Floyd alumni John Carin and Scotty Page (with additional contributions by Rat Dog’s Mark Karan).

Actually, since I’ve already brought Waters’ name up, I think Technology Analogy comes off like one of Roger Waters’ bad solo concept albums, but with too much God. Way too much God. I realize that that Corey probably owes a lot to his spiritual savior (such as his freedom from drugs and alcohol, not to mention his ego. See his website), but come on, Corey — a little goes a long way, fella
Insert_name_here
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Insert_name_here »

While I don't think the Flaming Lips necessarily sound like Floyd, they did do a pretty good job of emulating them with this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbJpngxzc0

This definitely has elements of the versions of 'Echoes' and 'One of These Days' from Pompeii in this track.
malusienka
Knife
Knife

Post by malusienka »

I've just found this - I started to listen to it because it's title, but not only the title is Floydish:
Pure Reason Revolution - The Bright Ambassadors of Morning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5nyHp54CE
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

flashback wrote:how about this-Airbag
http://www.airbagsound.com/
Indeed; Airbag is great ... but very very Floydian!
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

malusienka wrote:I've just found this - I started to listen to it because it's title, but not only the title is Floydish:

Pure Reason Revolution were once and interesting band with great potential; however, they seemed to lose their way after the album 'The Dark Third'. The second album was a pretty poor effort and the third one a bit of a nothing. They have since gone their separate ways ...
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Beowulf wrote:
malusienka wrote:I've just found this - I started to listen to it because it's title, but not only the title is Floydish:

Pure Reason Revolution were once and interesting band with great potential; however, they seemed to lose their way after the album 'The Dark Third'. The second album was a pretty poor effort and the third one a bit of a nothing. They have since gone their separate ways ...
Though I have to add that the vocalists' inability to pronounce 'ambassadors' is particularly annoying, especially as they repeat it so often in this song. "Ambassiders" indeed ...
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

"Far East Family Band" is most definitely Floydian. Nothing yet in this thread, though they've been frequently mentioned on this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYw13Ph--94
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Annoying Twit wrote:"Far East Family Band" is most definitely Floydian. Nothing yet in this thread, though they've been frequently mentioned on this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYw13Ph--94
New to me ...
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I love Far East Family Band, though I think the album in the Youtube video resembles Klaus Schulze a little more than Pink Floyd...not surprising considering it was produced by Klaus Schulze. Although the particular track posted certainly does have a PF influence. Their previous album Nipponjin: Join Our Mental Phase Sound also had some very Floydian stuff on it too...Pink Floyd if they'd been from Japan and not England.

jude111
Axe
Axe

Post by jude111 »

Alan Parsons Project's I ROBOT is a kind of Floyd-light album, with some excellent tracks, including the opening instrumental, the hit "I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You" (the guitar solo sounds like pure Gilmour circa '75-77 to me), and "Day After Day" (you'll swear that's Gilmour on vocals and guitar). However, the best pure Floydian moment by the band is the song "Time," which always sounded like it could have been on THE WALL to me (although others talk about its similiary to "Us and Them").

Other truly great songs that are so Floydian it's hard to imagine they are by someone else: "Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider (a big hit in its day, sounds like it's from THE WALL), "Silent Lucidity" by Queensryche (ditto), the Flaming Lips' "Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung" (sounds like it should have been on MEDDLE), Archive's "Again," Anathema's "Emotional Winter" (sounds like a DIVISON BELL tune), Tangerine Dreams' "Cloudburst Flight" (another MEDDLE-like tune), "Starless" by King Crimson (*so* fantastically Floydian), and the funk tracks "Cebu" (by the Commodores) and "Summer Madness" (Kool and the Gang) sound like they should be on WISH YOU WERE HERE. Some songs that definitely remind one of Floyd, even if they slightly predate them: Fleetwood Mac's "Albatross." And is it just me, or does "School/Bloody Well Right" by Supertramp sound totally like Floyd?

Tangerine Dream's albums seemed particularly influenced by Floyd, including PHAEDRA, RUBYCON, CYCLONE, and FORCE MAJEURE.

Brian Eno's 70s work often reminded me of Floyd. Check out his tune "The Belldog," or the instrumentals on ANOTHER GREEN WORLD.

Oh, and Maudlin of the Well's PART THE SECOND CD has a couple of very Floydian moments in "An Excerpt" and "Rose Quartz Turning to Glass."

Camel. For my money, the most Floyd-like moment is their brilliant album MOONMADNESS, with its Gilmour-like vocals.

The German band Novalis has many pure Floyd-like moments in 1970s if you can take the vocals, including the tunes Sommerabend, Aufbruch, and Im Netz. Neu's 1972 tune "WeiBensee" has often been compared to Floyd.

Concerning Pulsar, a French space/prog band in the 70s, I'd recommend their album HALLOWEEN over STRANDS OF TIME.

Djam Karet. Their song "Room 40" sounds like a Floyd rehearsal for THE WALL, albeit in embryonic form.

Eloy's SILENT CRIES AND MIGHTY ECHOES, and their best and most Floydian album in my opinion is OCEAN, which preceded SILENT CRIES. Steve Hillage's GREEN.

Roy Harper, the guy who sang "Have a Cigar," often sounded very Floydian on his 70s albums. Perhaps the most Floydian is the song "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease," which sounds like it belongs on THE WALL. All his 70s albums are highly recommended, each one containing at least 2 or 3 great songs.

As bar as contemporary bands go, Negative Zone's self-titled album sounds like DARK SIDE OF THE MOON-era Floyd, once you get past the first couple of songs. Another band, the Future Kings of England, have several great Floyd-like instrumentals (Bartholomew's Merman, Dunwich).

Mostly Autumn is often compared to the post-Waters Floyd. My favorite tunes by them are "Half the Mountain" and "Heroes Never Die." RPWL is another one; check out their very Floyd take on Dylan's "Masters of War," which sounds like it belongs on A MOMENTARY LAPSE, as does "Hole in the Sky."

Then there is the tribute band Think Floyd, which have also released two albums of their own material. Their tune "Hope" is reason enough to seek it out. You'll swear it's Roger Waters on vocals; and not only that, but it's better than anything he's done since leaving Floyd, in my opinion.

Porcupine Tree's early stuff is pure Floydian, incuding the albums THE SKY MOVES SIDEWAYS (the intro to the title track and the short version of "Moonloop" are awesome and very Floyd-like), ON THE SUNDAY OF LIFE, UP THE DOWNSTAIR, and SIGNIFY.

Marillion can be very Floydian; particuarly on the tracks "Ocean Cloud," "Neverland" and "Invisible Man" from their album MARBLES, and their album BRAVE, which seems influenced by THE FINAL CUT, but is even better, IMO. "Asylum Satellite One" from their most recent album is decidedly Floydian.

What else... Vangelis' soundtrack BLADE RUNNER reminds me of Floyd; "Clouds Up" and "Playground Love" by Air are pure Floydian; Flying Saucer Attack's "In the Light of Time"; Sigur Ros' album AGAETIS BYRJUN; Spiritualized's LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE ARE FLOATING IN SPACE; Radiohead's OK COMPUTER...
jude111
Axe
Axe

Post by jude111 »

Annoying Twit wrote:
danielcaux wrote: I would love to see a band like The Australian Pink Floyd record an album of well-written songs as a mock Pink Floyd album. I wouldn't mind if the songs were existing non-PF songs written by other artists formed into an album, songs written by the current band (do they write?), or a collaboration with one or more other songwriters. If it had good songs, and a Pink Floyd sound, I wouldn't be at all worried if it was a "forgery" :D
Then you should check out Think Floyd, which is not only a Floyd tribute band, but has also recorded 2 albums of their own material. What's interesting about them in my opinion is that the singer is a dead ringer for Roger Waters. You know, most try to emulate Gilmour with varying degrees of success, but no one has ever really sounded like Waters to me. Except for this band.

Their track "Hope" is truly great. Play it for your friends, they won't believe you that it's not Floyd, with Waters on vocals.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

You could try this newly released compilation...

Vera Lynn
Blade
Blade

Post by Vera Lynn »

Massed Gadgets wrote:You could try this newly released compilation...

Now That's what I was looking for [-D-] Thanks