Re: Frank Zappa

Post by nosaj »

Thanks for yet another positive response to a post of mine Idisaffect. [-D-]
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

nosaj wrote:I had read a lot of reviews that were negative about the "smutty" lyrics on Joe's Garage, but they don't really bother me so far.

Is it wrong that I like Titties 'n Beer and Dancin' Fool so much? 8-[
Zappa In NY is a great "live" album, "Titties and Beer" is complete fun from beginning to end, both lyrically and musically, and one of the few Zappa songs that could be considered "feminist".

"Dancin Fool" is OK, I like the whole contradiction of sounding both Disco and seudo-Baroque at the same time. Apart of Adrian Belew's vocals on a couple of tracks I'm not much of a fan of Sheik, but "Joe's Garage" has a lot of great music going on, Watermelon being the standout track, but also the nostalgic vintage sounding title track (am I the only one who hears the voice of Axl Rose in this track?) and the hilarious Prog/"Stairway To Heaven" parody of "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?" comes to mind. The album has lots of great guitar solos all over the place too. Also those little snippets between songs with "The central scrutinizer" narration really add a lot to the whole cinematic/conceptual atmosphere and the overall hilarity of the record. IMO Joe is Frank's best record from the late 70s, well, either that one or NY ...or Zoot Allures, but that one is too short.

Läthër of course trumps all of them since it's kind of a compilation from almost ALL his 70s albums. Well mostly four records (Studio Tan, Orchestral Favorites, Sleep Dirt and NY) but still.

Best 70s Zappa album would be Roxy though.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Think I'll sell mine and buy a car :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used

Wouldn't be too happy to be charged £1.28 for delivery as well.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Cool video of Zappa with his "Baby Snakes" SG guitar and little Pignose amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nImsfMvE
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Apart from the "P-U" background vocals in select versions, "Black Napkins" is one of those rare serious showcases of how good a guitarist Zappa really was. Very strong base melody, and his leads were always great. I also dig this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Va7mpfquuY

It's a shame the 1988 band didn't work out. With that brass section, Zappa really got to show off his skills as an arranger. They also did a beautiful rendition of "Watermelon In Easter Hay."
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

I love the background vocals on Black Napkins. Perfect. That Mike Douglas Show version is unique.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I don't care much for the 1988 band anymore. All that brass, especially the baritone sax, makes the music sound bloated and cheesy. I imagine this "Broadway-style" spin on the music was Frank's idea of parody, but it doesn't work for me. The same goes for his 1984 tour, when he parodied reggae on practically every song and had Chad Wackerman use those dreadful sounding electronic drums.

I actually think "Joe's Garage" is a very overated album. You could have condensed all the good songs down to one CD, nevermind the stupid story. The title track is good, so is Why does it hurt when I pee, Keep is greasy, Packard Goose, and Watermelon is easter hay (which is great). But I think this album marks the period when Zappa's cynicism began to overtake his passion for making great music. After the 70's, his music really went down hill. Look no further than "You are what you is" and "Them or us" for proof of that.

One of the very best Zappa albums in my opinion is "One Size Fits All" where practically every track is brilliant. On one of Frank's albums he asked "Does humor belong in music?" I certainly feel that humor has its place in music, but great music should come as a first priority always.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I can see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't mention the '84 tour in the same breath as the '88 one. I like parts of the "Does Humor Belong in Music?"-DVD, but overall, yeah. That band somehow ended up embodying everything that was wrong with the 80's. Still can't tell whether the reggae beats, synths and electronic drums were meant to be satiric.

Interestingly, I really like "You Are What You Is." In my opinion, it's his most accomplished satiric album. In that respect, I kind of think of it as a good spiritual sequel to "We're Only In It for the Money." At the very least, it's way funnier than "Sheik Yerbouti." Also, the production may be rather dense, but I think there are some pretty good musical moments on it. Specifically, the vocal arrangements are brilliant.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I really don't want to buy the 2012 reissues of albums I already have...will I suffer?

Anyway, I have been digging Frank Zappa, circa 1970/71, for the past few days.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

If you only own older CD versions, yes. For the first time when it comes to buying Zappa on CD, you'll suffer. Lots of the 2012 reissues are actually sourced from the original vinyl mixes, rather than Zappa's reverb-laden, often overdubbed and glitchy 80's remixes. Any fan will know how big a deal that is.

There are some fairly annoying exceptions; if you want to listen to the original "Cruising With Ruben & the Jets," you'll still have to buy "Greasy Love Songs." No doubt a deliberate decision from Zappa Records. We're also stuck with the remixes of "Freak Out," "Uncle Meat," "Roxy & Elsewhere" ("Cheepnis" was remixed by Zappa) and "Zappa In New York." However, that's a fairly small price to pay when you can suddenly listen to albums like, just to mention some of the more infamous examples, "Absolutely Free," "Hot Rats," "Burning Weeny Sandwich," "Chunga's Revenge," "Zoot Allures," "Sleep Dirt" and "Sheik Yerbouti" without having to cope with digital reverb, out-of-place overdubs and glitches.

I should add that all the reissues are on Spotify, so if you're hesitant about buying new CDs, you can always just go stream them on that. I'm doing so, and it's addictive.

P.S. You'll be pleased to know that "Fillmore East - June 1971" and "Just Another Band From L.A." have been fixed as well, but I didn't mention those because I personally loathe Flo and Eddie.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

olzen wrote:"Freak Out," "Uncle Meat," "Roxy & Elsewhere" ("Cheepnis" was remixed by Zappa) and "Zappa In New York."} ..."Absolutely Free," "Hot Rats," "Burning Weeny Sandwich," "Chunga's Revenge," "Zoot Allures," "Sleep Dirt" and "Sheik Yerbouti"
You mean that all the 90s Ryko remasters of those albums where also the 80s remixed versions?

Are the new remasters brickwalled?
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Yes, the Ryko issues mostly consisted of the flawed masters left behind by Zappa. However, a safety master of the original mix of "We're Only In It For the Money" replaced the remix, and "Tinseltown Rebellion" and "You Are What You Is" were remastered in 1998.

I hear no brickwalling, no. Some examples of a compressed sound being part of the original mixes, but no overall limiting. If you've only heard the Ryko version, the dynamics of an album like "Hot Rats" will make you weep.
KidCharlemagne1962
Embryo
Embryo

Post by KidCharlemagne1962 »

Zappa was a true genius, I love his stuff.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

olzen wrote:I hear no brickwalling, no. Some examples of a compressed sound being part of the original mixes, but no overall limiting. If you've only heard the Ryko version, the dynamics of an album like "Hot Rats" will make you weep.
Thanks for the info. It seems like now is the time for getting some replacements and add a couple more albums to the collection. An original mix of Sleep Dirt for starters, without the Thana Harris vocals, just to own the original Hot Rats III. Although I know for sure that I wouldn't like to lose my CD with the approved Zappa remix on it. Same goes for that awful remix of In It For The Money, it's bad, but I still want it :D
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

The original version of "Sleep Dirt" is one sick album. It definitely deserved being called "Hot Rats III." I'll never listen to the remix again - ever. The original work is absolutely flawless.

I get where you're coming from when it comes to the "We're Only In It For the Money"-remix, though. I kinda like it as well, but only as a supplement to the original release, and not as the replacement Frank intended it to be. I can't stand that kind of historical revisionism, and it's a shame Frank retorted to that. It taints his legacy somewhat, and makes him look like the George Lucas of music.

Thank god Bob Stone was able to talk him out of replacing "Lumpy Gravy" with yet another partially re-recorded remix.