Jethro Tull

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Jethro Tull

Post by generalhooha »

I have a friend who is as obsessed with Jethro Tull as I am with Pink Floyd (don't worry, its a healthy obsession). To make a long story short, he gave me "Thick as a Brick" and I have to say it is one of my favorite albums now (it has great music and the Anderson's lyrics are comparable to Water's). He let me listen to <i>Songs from the Wood</i> and <i>Aqualung</i> and they are both great albums also. Tull is a good break from Floyd if you have overplayed Floyd's stuff, and I would recommend <i>Thick as a Brick</i> to everyone.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I have owned a copy of every album at some point...I sold many of their remastered cd's about six months ago...Thick as a Brick is awesome!!! :smt023
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I have the original Thick as a Brick vinyl with the newspaper...excellent album, though my favourite has always been Heavy Horses. I have all their 70's albums on vinyl, and a few like Heavy Horses and Songs From the Wood on CD as well. They're coming to my city this spring, and I'm hoping to get tickets, as I've never had the chance to see them live.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I like Jethro Tull my favorite is Aqualung theres not one duff track on this album, Ian Anderson wrote some of his best lyrics for this a great masterpiece. My all time favorite track has to be from Stand Up - We Used To Know It's the fuzz guitar from the first time I heard it made my hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

IMHO a underrated group and Ian Anderson as a song writer is in my top 5.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I have "Aqualung", "Thick As A Brick", "Original Masters", and "Crest of a Knave". I think "Aqualung" has to be my favorite, though.

Growing up, my grandparents had a cabin near Yellowstone Park in Montana. One summer I invited a friend up there and I can distinctively remember playing billiards in the basement and listening to songs like "Locomotive Breath" and "Cross-Eyed Mary" off "Aqualung". The cabin is gone now so it's nice to put on a little Jethro Tull and reminisce.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I only like their first 2 albums. :D
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

There's no Jethro Tull album one can say is bad. Even the latest couple of them that's not really Jethro Tull anymore.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I have always liked Jethro Tull. I consider their music to be very unique and experimental. I haven't listened to them in quite a long time, and I think I'm going to go and dust off a few LPs myself!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I love Jethro Tull too and its about time I listened to them again, thanks for the reminder :D
Steel Monkey
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Steel Monkey »

I have a friend who is as obsessed with Jethro Tull as I am with Pink Floyd (don't worry, its a healthy obsession). To make a long story short, he gave me "Thick as a Brick" and I have to say it is one of my favorite albums now (it has great music and the Anderson's lyrics are comparable to Water's). He let me listen to Songs from the Wood and Aqualung and they are both great albums also. Tull is a good break from Floyd if you have overplayed Floyd's stuff, and I would recommend Thick as a Brick to everyone.
If I were to make a Tull thread, it would be exactly like this. I love Jethro. Budapest ftw.
Jetski
Axe
Axe

Post by Jetski »

I'm a big TaaB fan (Part 1 is one of my personal prog favourites), although I don't think Aqualung is quite as good. But yeah, good stuff.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Massed Gadgets wrote: They're coming to my city this spring, and I'm hoping to get tickets, as I've never had the chance to see them live.
I have a ticket, I have a ticket, ... :lol:

Jethro was a great band, they could also sang easily in harmonies. Nice to check them now on an "acoustic Tull" tour :D
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

tull is also one of my favorites. if you enjoyed "thick as a brick" give a listen to "a passion play". its similar in that it's one long piece of music in several movements split up only by the need to turn the record over. in the case of "a passion play" the music is bisected by "the story of the hare who lost his spectacles". many years ago i memorized that bit and would tell it to my son as a bed time story. he loved it!

-----

This is the story of the Hare who lost his spectacles.
Owl loved to rest quietly whilst no one was watching. Sitting on a fence one day, he was surprised when suddenly a Kangaroo ran close by.

Now this may not seem strange, but when Owl overheard Kangaroo whisper to no one in particular, "The Hare has lost his spectacles", well, he began to wonder.

Presently, the moon appeared from behind a cloud and there, lying on
the grass was Hare. In the stream that flowed by the grass -- a
Newt. and sitting astride a twig of a bush -- a Bee.

Ostensibly motionless, the Hare was trembling with excitement, for
without his spectacles he was completely helpless. Where were his
Spectacles? Could someone have stolen them? Had he mislaid them? What
was he to do?

Bee wanted to help, and thinking he had the answer began: "You
probably ate them thinking they were a carrot."

"No!" interrupted Owl, who was wise. "I have good eye-sight, insight,
and foresight. How could an intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?" But all this time, Owl had been sitting on the fence, scowling!

Kangaroo were hopping mad at this sort of talk. She thought herself
far superior in intelligence to the others. She was their leader; Their guru. She had the answer: "Hare, you must go in search of the optician." But then she realized that Hare was completely helpless without his
spectacles. and so, Kangaroo loudly proclaimed, "I cant send Hare in
search of anything!"

"You can guru, you can!" shouted Newt. "You can send him with Owl.
But Owl had gone to sleep. Newt knew too much to be stopped by so
small a problem -- "You can take him in your pouch." but alas, hare
Was much too big to fit into Kangaroo's pouch.

All this time, it had been quite plain to Hare that the others knew
nothing about spectacles.

As for all their tempting ideas, well Hare didnt care. The lost spectacles were his own affair. And after all, Hare did have a spare a-pair.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The remastered Passion Play has a video of the story of the hare who lost his spectacles!!

I had the original vinyl with programme many moons ago...*sigh*
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I bought A Passion Play a while ago and don't like it at all. It is far too pretentious!

I do quite like their earlier stuff, however. Their "prog" stuff just comes across as a poor man's version of Focus.