Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Let the poor man get along!!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

davidjay wrote:tull is also one of my favorites. if you enjoyed "thick as a brick" give a listen to "a passion play". its similar in that it's one long piece of music in several movements split up only by the need to turn the record over. in the case of "a passion play" the music is bisected by "the story of the hare who lost his spectacles". many years ago i memorized that bit and would tell it to my son as a bed time story. he loved it!

-----

This is the story of the Hare who lost his spectacles.
Owl loved to rest quietly whilst no one was watching. Sitting on a fence one day, he was surprised when suddenly a Kangaroo ran close by.

Now this may not seem strange, but when Owl overheard Kangaroo whisper to no one in particular, "The Hare has lost his spectacles", well, he began to wonder.

Presently, the moon appeared from behind a cloud and there, lying on
the grass was Hare. In the stream that flowed by the grass -- a
Newt. and sitting astride a twig of a bush -- a Bee.

Ostensibly motionless, the Hare was trembling with excitement, for
without his spectacles he was completely helpless. Where were his
Spectacles? Could someone have stolen them? Had he mislaid them? What
was he to do?

Bee wanted to help, and thinking he had the answer began: "You
probably ate them thinking they were a carrot."

"No!" interrupted Owl, who was wise. "I have good eye-sight, insight,
and foresight. How could an intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?" But all this time, Owl had been sitting on the fence, scowling!

Kangaroo were hopping mad at this sort of talk. She thought herself
far superior in intelligence to the others. She was their leader; Their guru. She had the answer: "Hare, you must go in search of the optician." But then she realized that Hare was completely helpless without his
spectacles. and so, Kangaroo loudly proclaimed, "I cant send Hare in
search of anything!"

"You can guru, you can!" shouted Newt. "You can send him with Owl.
But Owl had gone to sleep. Newt knew too much to be stopped by so
small a problem -- "You can take him in your pouch." but alas, hare
Was much too big to fit into Kangaroo's pouch.

All this time, it had been quite plain to Hare that the others knew
nothing about spectacles.

As for all their tempting ideas, well Hare didnt care. The lost spectacles were his own affair. And after all, Hare did have a spare a-pair.
Thats great :D I love that idea.
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

Was a big ol Tull fan.. saw em many moons ago .. GREAT.. WAR child .. thick as abrick aqualung(ULTIMATE) songs from the wood.. etc.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Ooh...my wife and I got tickets for the Edmonton show! She's a big Tull fan too. Now we just have to wait till Sept. 25th!
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

I have yet to listen to this band. Also I have yet to listen to King Crimson. Also Zappa. Also Yes. Also......well you get the picture.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Speaking of Jethro Tull, Waters once said that he got the inspiration for The Thin Ice from Jethro Tull's Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day. Do you know this song? It's on Warchild album, and to me makes no resemblence of anything Waters put to paper except the ice in the title. What do you think? :?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Massed Gadgets wrote: Now we just have to wait till Sept. 25th!
Me and my wife are going in Sept 8th ! :D
I think (well, we´ll see :roll: ) this time I´ll even leave my recording equipments home and just relax and enjoy. :lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

It may be a stretch about Waters basing The Thin Ice on Tull's skating away in some ways, yet it is plausible.

Speaking of Waters and Tull...I saw Tull on the Catfish Rising tour, and at one point, Ian grabs a lady out of the audience, has her sit down at a table with him and share a bottle of wine...kinda like Waters' card playing during Dogs on the ITF tour. :wink:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Might that mean that Waters is a potential Tull fan or something? :?
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

Waters and Anderson are pretty close in their style of writing. They write about the same ideas (war, thinking for yourself) and are both excellent performers.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

And they both tend to write their lyrics so that you go "How on earth did he figured this out?!" when you hear them. :shock:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re:

Post by nosaj »

Hudini wrote:There's no Jethro Tull album one can say is bad. Even the latest couple of them that's not really Jethro Tull anymore.
There is one bad album. It is called Under Wraps.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Jethro Tull

Post by PublicImage »

I've tried to listen to A Passion Play again recently but it's just ridiculous. It's far too pompous, especially considering how talented the band are. What a waste.

I love their Isle of Wight Festival performance.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

I just returned this topic because i really got into this amazing band now! Ian Anderson is clearly a genius, a great lyricist, showman, composer, flute player...His solo career is really good too. The Secret Language Of Birds, Divinities and Rupi's Dance are great albums and should be listened by every Tull fan!
About the band's albums, i absolutely love Benefit. It has a lot of power and passion IMO. No need to mention Aqualung and TAAB, masterpieces too! I personally think A Passion Play and Minstrel in the Gallery are a bit underrated, and really love both. Surely, they are a bit more difficult to listen to, especially APP, but they sure deserve attention. Not forgetting to mention the trilogy composed of Songs from the Wood (how much energy!), Heavy Horses (Moths is a really moving song) and Stormwatch (i'm a bit more reserved for this last one though). After that, i don't enjoy the band as much (i also didn't get into their first two albums, This Was and Stand Up, but i'm working on that!), but i really like the album Roots to Branches and its eastern feel.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I don't like bubblegum pop like Jethro Tull. Sorry.