Jethro Tull

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Jethro Tull

Post by jtull »

Hogtown wrote:Still, I don't mind "A" that much...
For me "A" is half good album. Not great as "B & B", but not nearly bad as "Under Wraps".
Protect and Survive, The Pine Martens Gig and And Further On is good songs too, but I can't stand Batteries Not Included, Uniform and 4 WD(Low Ratio) att all. Same unlistenable electronic crap as Under Wraps album. :evil:

btw, What do you think about Nightcap first CD - "Chateau D' Isaster" tapes? Are these outtakes better or A Passion Play album?
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Was Eddie Jobson on A and B&B? I think I bought them both when they came out because I was a big fan of Jobson's band UK. Excellent keyboard player (especially Hammond organ) and violinist.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

2066 wrote:Was Eddie Jobson on A .
I'm pretty sure he was on A but not certain about Broadsword . I met him backstage after a Curved Air gig at Manchester's Free Trade Hall in the 70's, although we'd really gone back there to see Sonja Kristina.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Eddie Jobson was only on "A", not on Broadsword and The Beast and Under Wraps.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

jtull wrote:btw, What do you think about Nightcap first CD - "Chateau D' Isaster" tapes? Are these outtakes better or A Passion Play album?
They are different really, but I do like the Chateau D' Isaster tapes - amazing that they scrapped an album and came up with a new one basically.

2066 - the "A" remaster has a bonus live dvd of the era which is interesting, and I think your keyboard guy is on it...
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

Reading this thread is like Living In The Past.

I, however, am not Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll.

Or Bungle In The Jungle, for that matter.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

justabagofatoms wrote:1. Reading this thread is like Living In The Past.

2. I, however, am not Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll.

3. Or Bungle In The Jungle, for that matter.
1. Are you happy and smiling?

2. You're NEVER too old too to rock 'n' roll - take it from an old greaser (Bran, there is a photo of me on a website from last year, when i returned to using brill cream to slick back my hair)

3. That sounds really exciting - would you bungle in the woods in Canada?
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Maybe. Would you consider trekking 60 miles across the Alaskan tundra with a belly-full of mouse legs?

I'm just asking, because there are some idiots on "Out of the Wild" on the Discovery Channel, that are doing just that, and I'm trying to judge the depth of your potential insanity. :D

Meanwhile, we have had a sudden frost, and I'll be Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day.

Which is my favorite Tull song. 8)
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Well, the mouse police never sleeps, so trekking up there with mouse legs in my belly might get me arrested...but, I would do it naked, because that DJ the Wolf Man jack screwed me up as a child...
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Good. The sedative dart must have worked. I don't think he'll be opening any more new threads tonight.

I would do the Snidley Whiplash sneer, but I have a sore throat.

Warchild.

Would you like another cup of tea, dear?
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

The song Back Door Angels from Warchild is not about anal sex. Don't be fooled. It IS the 2nd best tune on that album. Skating Away is # 1, of course.

The album Too Old to Rock and Roll is even worse than Under Wraps and A. I'm surprised that no one here has noticed. The title track is terrible. Putting it on all of the greatest hits packages does not make it a good song. The rest of the album is just as bad. Pied Piper? Unbearable.

The suite Baker Street Muse was a masterpiece compared to that album. It's pretty great compared to any prog rock. He/they rebounded SLIGHTLY from Too Old... with Songs From the Wood. Heavy Horses would have been a great follow up to Minstrel in the Gallery.

Benefit is my favorite because it is very well written, arranged, played and sung. Some of the transitions in their songs during their heavy Prog phase are clumsy and unnecessary. However, the transition into the final section of Baker Street Muse is one of the finest in 70's Prog. It occurs between the lines I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way and Indian restaurants that curry my brain. (great line!) Smooth and brilliant. Check it out again for your own sake.

As for Eddie Jobson, he replaced John Evans so it was hopeless from the start.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Idisaffect wrote:Benefit is my favorite because it is very well written, arranged, played and sung.
Benefit was my first album, so always holds a special place in my heart...to me, it is the first full Barre/Anderson JT album.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

I realize no one cares but I screwed up in my last post and feel compelled to correct it because it's important. :lol: The transition I referred to in Baker Street Muse occurs between the lines Circumcised with cold print hands and Windy bus stop click shop window heel. Not the lines I stated above. Check that part out for an amazing shift in musical direction. That is a great example of an effective transition.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re:

Post by Hogtown »

oldhippy wrote:My all time favorite track has to be from Stand Up - We Used To Know It's the fuzz guitar from the first time I heard it made my hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
Yes! Fantastic song! I agree with the old guy again. <.8.>
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Yeah! :D
We Used To Know is really great song. One of my JT favourites.
Apparently, Eagles thought the same, they stole that song and made Hotel California! Pure plagiarism.:twisted:

Listen Mr.Ian A. here in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_T6yL1gYE