The Offical King Crimson Thread

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Re: The Offical King Crimson Thread

Post by rememberaday »

Hey, I don't remember posting that! Maybe I was stoned :?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

:lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Digging these three albums today: Larks Tongue In Aspic, Starless And Bible Black and Red

Over the years I have downloaded the odd free song off the King Crimson website, but totally forgot about it for a long time. However, I have found them all collected on the equivalent of 20 cds recently. Awesome!!!! Anybody collect these free promo mp3s?
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Their live downloads from 1974 are phenomenal! I'd highly recommend Asbury Park, Pittsburgh, and Providence.

http://www.dgmlive.com/tour.htm?artist=5&tour_year=1974
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I do have Asbury Park and Toronto from 1974.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

nosaj wrote:I do have Asbury Park and Toronto from 1974.
You must check out the Pittsburgh show as well. :D
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Finally! The 40th Anniversary Larks is being released. In three versions. <.8.>

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=3916
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

And you can pre-order it now from Burning Shed listed at $120.55 <ii>

Now THIS is how you do a proper IMMERSION box! \:D/
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Whoa, 13 CDs + DVD-A + Bluray + Booklet + Sleeve Print + Postcards, etc... for only 120 bucks!!! Come on! THIRTEEN CEEDEES!!!!???? 8 discs of live music? 4 discs of studio outtakes?

Here's a band that really cares for the fans, keeping the prices low, the music to a max and the junk and scarfs to a minimun. Way to go.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

danielcaux wrote:Whoa, 13 CDs + DVD-A + Bluray + Booklet + Sleeve Print + Postcards, etc... for only 120 bucks!!! Come on! THIRTEEN CEEDEES!!!!???? 8 discs of live music? 4 discs of studio outtakes?

Here's a band that really cares for the fans, keeping the prices low, the music to a max and the junk and scarfs to a minimun. Way to go.
I ordered the box and then cancelled my order. The 8 discs of live music are bootlegs and, from what I've read, the quality is lacking. The CD/DVD-A will suit my needs fine and I can still buy/download the live shows that I want. What I won't get I can live without. $140 shipped vs. $25 shipped was a no-brainer. Now I can buy the new ELP remasters w/o feeling guilty about it. Not to mention the new live Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson releases. \:D/

But if I was a KC fan the way I'm a Floyd fan the box wouldn't be a question.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

There is a very good chance I will ultimately take a pass on this box as well. BUT, very nicely done from a Pink Floyd fan point-of-view. ](*,)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, they have done the 40th anniversary re-issues of studio albums up to Discipline. What is next, I wonder? Will they re-issue earthbound and USA?

I have bought all the re-issues up to this point. Great stuff (I did get the ITCOTCK box, but passed on the Larks' box).

Oh, and all of you who have any of the King Crimson Collector's Club, give us some reviews. I have a few. Here is one that I have been listening to lately:

King Crimson Collector's Club - Live In Toronto (Club 45)
Massey Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada – June 24th, 1974
Disc 1 (47:12): Larks Tongues In Aspic Part II, Lament, Exiles, Improv – The Golden Walnut, The Night Watch, Fracture

Disc 2 (41:31): Improv- Clueless and Slightly Slack, Easy Money, Starless, 21st Century Schizoid Man

The best thing about this is that it is a soundboard, so the quality is awesome (this is why I want reviews). I do recommend this one. I also like that it was recorded in my hometown at one of the better music venues in town.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Are these 40th anniversary editions worth getting if I have nothing that can play a 5.1 mix?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Sorry to not reply to your comment here, Jeff, because I don't know anything about that.

Just came by to say, the first person to post their entire Beatclub video performance online wins a medal of some sort.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Massed Gadgets wrote:Are these 40th anniversary editions worth getting if I have nothing that can play a 5.1 mix?

Honestly, if you already have vinyl or older cd versions of most albums and are used to them, by any band, I am not sure how often re-issues/re-masters really matter...generally speaking. Sure, you can hear subtle differences when you examine an album closely, then you forget.

With these releases, I think I personally happened to need to pick up a few albums I was lacking (sold some cds years ago, needing money and space), so felt the extra money was okay. Then, decided I needed them all (no voice of reason for me, no).

I do not have a 5.1 system, but still enjoy these releases. I like the extra bonus songs, but in all honesty, I don't listen to them very often - this is normal for most bonus tracks of the demo sort by most artists for me. The nice thing about the DVD, is that I can hear the stereo versions in better quality than the plain old cd, so that is nice. AND on the dvds you also can listen to the new mix, the 2004 mix and the original mix. So, you have your choice. The video content is nice to have - on some of the albums there really isn't much.

So, I would say you can live without these (like most re-issue/re-masters really - at this point I seem to listen to music on my computer or phone more than an old fashion stereo), but do consider that the dvd-a is nice sounding.