The Offical King Crimson Thread

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Offical King Crimson Thread

Post by Alternative 4 »

I disagree. The key point is, these remixes and remasters are prepared by Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree) with the oversight and approval of Robert Fripp:

The new mix of Lizard is far better than the original, the music is that much more alive (the acoustic guitars in particular). I have an EG LP from the 80's and the music sounds strangled by its complexity. But the new mix sounds fresh and alive. The 5.1 mix is even more revealing than in stereo.

Discipline in 5.1 is brilliant, the instrument placement in the mix really accentuates the interplay between the band members. The new stereo mix is quite good, I would rather listen to this than the 30th cd.

The only one (I don't have Islands, Larks Tongues in Aspic or Starless and Bible Black) I would not recommend is In the court of the crimson king. For this album I wish I had kept my 30th cd for the simple reason that the mellotron swells on Epitaph are nowhere near as dynamic in the new stereo mix.

I also have Red (great 5,1 mix, cd is the same mix as the 30th) and In the Wake of Poseidon (I have no other version of this album).
Scottish Meddle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Scottish Meddle »

Mr. Fripp really didn't care about the critics, or the fashion, the radio, he just played the most experimental songs he wanted. He could put a violin in a rock band!!! :-({|=

Very daring at the time.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Alternative 4 wrote:The new mix of Lizard is far better than the original, the music is that much more alive (the acoustic guitars in particular). I have an EG LP from the 80's and the music sounds strangled by its complexity. But the new mix sounds fresh and alive. The 5.1 mix is even more revealing than in stereo.
Lizard was one of the only early KC albums I never really cared for until rediscovering SW's new mixes. Now I love it! \:D/
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

You know, it is very hard to find biographies on King Crimson or Robert Fripp. There is a book, but when I think to look for it at book stores in my city, it is never in stock. However, I found this weeks ago and have scanned through it a bit. Pretty interesting: http://www.progressiveears.com/frippbook/ch01.htm
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wow! I had never heard these tracks stitched together like this. It makes for one big epic atmospheric Eno-like piece, much better than how they spliced them all over the original album. So long ago back in distant 2003, this was the new KC record! Hell, I'm old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNV2kgxihP0
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

That was one of my least favorite KC albums tbh, though it wasn't too bad which says something about how good their back catalog is. :p
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Cut by cut it sure wasn't a great album, but I think it was at least a step up from The ConstruKction of Light. Or perhaps not? I dunno, I only listened to ConstrucKtion once or twice, like ten years ago...
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Some one guide me through all the ProjeKCts. They're confusing as hell. As of now I've got Space Groove only.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

rememberaday wrote:Some one guide me through all the ProjeKCts. They're confusing as hell. As of now I've got Space Groove only.
Why do you find them confusing? It's pretty much just a bunch of old men noodling around in various King Crimson permutations. Space Groove was the first recording done by one of such projects and it was a studio album, unlike the actual 4 albums that you can find on the "Projekcts" boxset which were all improvisational jams recorded live at some venue and then edited in the studio by the band members.

I haven't listened to all the four albums in the boxset, (haven't been able to find them online yet :D) but I could recommend the original Deception of The Thrush , it's pretty amazing. I think they mislabeled it on that video though, it must be by either ProjeKct 2 or 4, not 3.

What do you think of Space Groove? I have only listened to some clips of it and my impression was that Space Groove I II III etc... was pretty much the same track, kinda boring. Is the second disc any better?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

rememberaday wrote:Some one guide me through all the ProjeKCts. They're confusing as hell. As of now I've got Space Groove only.
First, I will say I had the boxset years ago, but don't know what happened to it. And yet, there are a LOT of ProjeKcts available beyond that. Good luck.

Now, here is something interesting:

King Crimson: The Road To Red

For many King Crimson fans nothing compares with the band's output from 1972-1974.

Over 21 cds, 1 dvd, 2 blu-ray discs, copious sleeve notes and replica memorabilia, The Road To Red comprehensively captures the essence of King Crimson's US tour of 1974 and the process leading to one of the band's most important albums.

A total of 16 concerts are featured across 20 discs, with a new Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp stereo mix of the studio Red as the 21st CD.

Commenting on the final live date on The Road To Red, Robert Fripp notes that this was the first gig, "Since the 1969 Crimson where the bottom of my spine registered 'out of this world' to the same degree."

* 20 CDs of live material drawn from:

10 concerts recorded on stereo soundboard cassettes directly from the band's mixing desk - all previously unreleased on CD, audio newly restored at DGM Soundworld in 2013.

5 concerts professionally recorded on multi-track tape. Parts of these shows have been previously included in the USA & The Great Deceiver releases, but they are all included here in full on CD for the first time.

1 CD drawn from an audio restored high quality bootleg of the band's final 1974 New York concert previously available only via mail order and now remastered.

* CD 21 features a new stereo mix of Red by Steven Wilson & Robert Fripp

* DVD (compatible with all DVD players & DVD Rom players) High Resolution Stereo mixes of the Asbury Park/USA concert in its various released/unreleased configurations (24bit/48khz).

* Blu-Ray Disc 1 features full lossless audio 24/192 transfers of four complete professionally recorded concerts newly transferred at the highest possible resolution from the original analogue Dolby SR half inch mix-downs in DTS-HD master sound stereo.

* Blu-Ray Disc 2 features a 24/192 transfer of the Asbury Park/USA concert, a new stereo mix of Red in 24/96 DTS-HD master sound stereo by Robert Fripp & Steven Wilson, and also contains the original stereo mix of Red along with the 5.1 mix of the album in 24/96 DTS-HD + bonus audio material.

* Discs packaged in 8 individual 3 disc digi-packs within an album sized box.

* LP sized booklet with rare/unseen photos, new sleeve notes by Robert Fripp, Sid Smith, technical notes on the recordings by David Singleton, expanded band member diary entries and eye-witness accounts from fans who attended the gigs

* Memorabilia including postcards, album prints, replica set lists & more besides.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/paneg ... /313/3884/
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

why can't the floyd release a box like this?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Because sadly they don't need. They can get away with re-releasing the same old albums in new packages over and over again.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I have a test copy of The Road to Red box...fantastic!

Here is an article on the Crimsos...

King Crimson: A Prog-Rock Case Study
"Although it was already suggested that Pink Floyd is the archetypal prog-rock band (”Pink Floyd: The Prog Rock Archetype”, 08 May 2013), an equally compelling case could be made for King Crimson. By practically any criteria, King Crimson has always epitomized everything we talk about when we talk about prog. Only more so." Read Article>
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

King Crimson are doing a North American tour later this year with a re-configured line up. Fripp says no new material, but radically reworked versions of old material is what they'll be playing.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Oh, this is great, will have it soon. Starless box (27 discs!). Great review: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/king-crimso ... Fgnm8l4J50

Just missing the three DVDs, but these are the CDs:

Eleven CDs drawn from high quality stereo reel to reel soundboard tapes. 8 making their first appearance on CD with the remaining three re-mastered or drawn from new tape sources. One CD presenting the performance from the ORTF Paris TV broadcast.

Disc 1 – Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, UK, October 23, 1973:
1 Improv: Sharks’ Lungs In Lemsip
2 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part I)
3 RF Announcement
4 Easy Money
5 Improv: We’ll Let You Know
6 The Night Watch
7 Fracture
8 Lament

Mixed by Robert Fripp, Tony Arnold and David Singleton at the Courthouse, Cranborne, Dorset. Previously released in part on “The Great Deceiver”(1992). Balance of tracks available as a download from www.dgmlive.com (2006). Assembled & remastered from the original “Great Deceiver” mixes by David Singleton at DGM SoundWorld (2014).

Disc 2- Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, UK, October 23, 1973:
1 Book Of Saturday
2 Improv: Tight Scrummy
3 Exiles
4 Improv: Loose Scrummy
5 The Talking Drum
6 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part II)
7 Peace – A Theme
8 Cat Food

Mixed by Robert Fripp, Tony Arnold and David Singleton at the Courthouse, Cranborne, Dorset. Previously released in part on “The Great Deceiver”(1992). Balance of tracks available as a download from www.dgmlive.com (2006). Assembled & remastered from the original “Great Deceiver” mixes by David Singleton at DGM SoundWorld (2014).

Disc 3 – Volkshaus, Zurich, Switzerland, November 15, 1973:
1 Walk On: No Pussyfooting
2 Improv: Some Pussyfooting
3 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part I)
4 RF Announcement
5 Lament
6 Peace: A Theme
7 Cat Food
8 The Night Watch
9 Fracture

Mixed by Robert Fripp, Tony Arnold and David Singleton at the Courthouse, Cranborne, Dorset. Previously released in part on “The Great Deceiver”(1992) & via mail order as part of The King Crimson Collectors’ Club Vol. 41 (2009). Assembled & remastered from the original “Great Deceiver” mixes by David Singleton at DGM SoundWorld (2014).

Disc 4 – Volkshaus, Zurich, Switzerland, November 15, 1973:
1 The Law of Maximum Distress: Part I
2 Improv: The Mincer *
3 The Law Of Maximum Distress: Part II
4 Easy Money
5 Exiles
6 Improv: Some More Pussyfooting
7 The Talking Drum
8 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part II)
9 21st Century Schizoid Man

Mixed by Robert Fripp, Tony Arnold and David Singleton at the Courthouse, Cranborne, Dorset, except * ‘The Mincer’ taken from the original “Starless & Bible Black” album mix with added ambience from an audience bootleg as the original multitrack tape is missing. Previously released in part on “The Great Deceiver” (1992) & via mail order as part of The King Crimson Collectors’ Club Vol. 41(2009). Assembled & remastered from the original “Great Deceiver” mixes by David Singleton at DGM SoundWorld (2014).

Disc 5 – Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands, November 23, 1973:
1 Easy Money
2 Lament
3 Book Of Saturday
4 RF Announcement
5 Fracture
6 The Night Watch
7 Improv: Starless And Bible Black

Mixed from the original multitrack tapes by Steven Wilson (2014). Previously released with a different mix as “The Night Watch” (1997).

Disc 6 – Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands, November 23, 1973:
1 Improv: Trio *
2 Exiles
3 Improv: The Fright Watch
4 The Talking Drum
5 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part II)
6 21st Century Schizoid Man

Mixed from the original multitrack tapes by Steven Wilson (2014).* except ‘Trio’ taken from “Starless & Bible Black”. Previously released with a different mix as “The Night Watch” (1997).

Disc 7 – Palazzo dello Sport, Udine, Italy, March 19, 1974:
1 Exiles
2 Fracture
3 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part II)

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Two of The Blue Tapes, Second part of the show, 3 tracks only. (Reel One is missing). Previously unreleased on CD. The balance of this concert is featured on bonus CD 27 taken from a restored bootleg.

Disc 8 – Palazzo dello Sport, Brescia, Italy, March 20, 1974:
1 Improv I
2 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part I)
3 Doctor Diamond
4 Easy Money
5 Lament
6 The Night Watch
7 Improv II
8 Starless
9 Exiles * incomplete recording

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Three of The Blue Tapes. (The remainder of the concert, Reel Four, and the Marseilles concert, Reel Five, are missing). Previously available as a download only from www.dgmlive.com (2005).

Disc 9 – ORTF T.V, Paris, France, March 22, 1974:
1 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part II)
2 Improv
3 The Night Watch
4 Lament
5 Starless

Mastered from the DGM archives by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy (2014). Previously unreleased as standalone audio.

Disc 10 – Palais Paul Videl, Avignon, March 24, 1974:
2 Doctor Diamond
3 Lament
4 Fracture
5 The Night Watch
6 The Great Deceiver
7 Starless
8 Exiles
9 The Talking Drum
10 Larks’ Tongues in Aspic (Part II) * incomplete recording

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Six of The Blue Tapes. Previously unreleased in any format.

Disc 11 – Palais Des Sports, Besancon, France, March 25, 1974:
1 Doctor Diamond * incomplete recording
2 Lament
3 Fracture
4 The Night Watch
5 The Great Deceiver
6 Improv I †
7 Starless
8 Exiles
9 Improv II

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Seven of The Blue Tapes. † Short excerpt previously released on “Cirkus: The Young Persons’ Guide to King Crimson – Live” (1999). Otherwise previously unreleased in any format.

Disc 12 – Stadttheater, Augsburg, Germany, March 27, 1974:
2 Doctor Diamond
3 Lament
4 Easy Money
5 Fracture
6 The Night Watch
7 The Great Deceiver
8 Starless
9 Improv: Augsburg
10 Exiles
11 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part II) * incomplete recording

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Eight of The Blue Tapes. Previously available as a download only from www.dgmlive.com (2007).

Disc 13 – Halle Der Fachoschule, Dieburg, Germany, March 28, 1974:
1 Doctor Diamond
2 RF Announcement
3 Lament
4 The Night Watch
5 Fracture
6 Improv I
7 Exiles
8 The Great Deceiver
9 Improv II
10 Starless * incomplete recording

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Nine of The Blue Tapes. Previously unreleased in any format.

Disc 14 – Stadthalle, Heidelberg, Germany, March 29, 1974:
2 Improv I
3 Doctor Diamond
4 RF Announcement
5 Improv II
6 Exiles
7 Improv III
8 Starless
9 The Night Watch
10 Lament
11 Easy Money
12 Fracture * incomplete recording

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Ten of The Blue Tapes. Previously released via mail order as part of The King Crimson Collectors’ Club Vol. 29 (2005) & as a download from www.dgmlive.com (2013).

Disc 15 – Elzer Hof, Mainz, Germany, March 30, 1974:
2 Improv: The Savage
3 Doctor Diamond
4 Improv: Arabica
5 Exiles
6 Improv: Atria
7 The Night Watch
8 Starless
9 Lament
10 Improv: Trio
11 Easy Money

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mixed from several source tapes by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Eleven of The Blue Tapes & audience recordings. Previously released with a different mix as part of The King Crimson Collectors’ Club Vol.15 (2001), “Collectable King Crimson Vol. I” (2006) & as a download from www.dgmlive.com (2012). The balance of this concert is featured on Bonus CD 26, taken from a restored bootleg.

Disc 16 – Jahnhalle, Pforzheim, Germany, March 31, 1974:
1 The Great Deceiver
2 Improv I
3 Doctor Diamond
4 Improv II
5 Exiles
6 The Night Watch
7 Lament
8 Starless
9 Easy Money
10 Fracture * incomplete recording

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered from the original reel to reel tape by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy (2014). Reel Twelve of The Blue Tapes. Previously available as a download only from www.dgmlive.com (2005).

Disc 17 – Stadthalle, Kassel, Germany, April 1, 1974:
1 The Great Deceiver *
2 Improv I
3 Doctor Diamond
4 Improv II
5 Exiles
6 The Night Watch
7 Lament
8 Starless
9 Improv III
10 Easy Money
11 Fracture *

* incomplete recording

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Thirteen of The Blue Tapes. Previously released via mail order as part of The King Crimson Collectors’ Club Vol. 36 (2007) & as a download from www.dgmlive.com (2012)

Disc 18 – Stadthalle, Gottingen, Germany, April 2, 1974:
1 The Great Deceiver * incomplete recording
2 Doctor Diamond
3 Exiles
4 Fracture
5 RF Announcement
6 Lament
7 Starless
8 Improv I
9 The Night Watch

Taken from a quarter inch reel to reel soundboard recording. Mastered by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy at DGM (2014). Reel Fourteen of The Blue Tapes. Previously unreleased in any format.

Disc 19 – Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands, November 23, 1973:
1 Easy Money
2 Lament
3 Book Of Saturday
4 Exiles
5 Improv: The Fright Watch
6 The Talking Drum
7 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part II)
8 21st Century Schizoid Man

Preparatory mix for radio broadcast by George Chkiantz, 1974, from the original multitrack recordings. This concert was released as “The Night Watch (1997), with a different mix. This mix previously unreleased.

Disc 20 – Starless And Bible Black, 2011 Stereo Mix:
1 The Great Deceiver
2 Lament
3 We’ll Let You Know
4 The Night Watch
5 Trio
6 The Mincer
7 Starless and Bible Black
8 Fracture

Mixed & produced from the original multitrack tapes by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp (2011). Previously released as part of the King Crimson 40th Anniversary series. ‘Trio’ & ‘The Mincer’ taken from 30th anniversary edition as multitracks are missing.

Disc 25 – Bonus Audio 1 – University of Texas, Arlington, TX, October 6, 1973:
1 Walk On
2 Improv I
3 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic: Part I
4 RF Announcement
5 Easy Money
6 The Night Watch
7 Fracture
8 Book Of Saturday
9 Lament
10 Improv II
11 Exiles

Disc 26 – Bonus Audio 2 – Audio Curios:
1 The Talking Drum
2 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part II)
3 21st Century Schizoid Man

(1-3 University of Texas, Arlington, TX, October 6, 1973)

4 Doctor Diamond

(Richards Club, Atlanta, Georgia, June 23, 1973)

5 The Law Of Maximum Distress: Part I
6 Improv: The Mincer *
7 The Law Of Maximum Distress: Part II

(5-7 Volkshaus, Zurich, Switzerland, November 15, 1973)

8 Easy Money
9 Fracture
10 Larks’ Tongues In Aspic (Part II)

(8-10 Elzer Hof, Mainz, Germany, October 6, 1973)

Disc 27 – Bonus Audio 3 – Palazzo dello Sport, Udine, Italy, March 19, 1974:
2 Improv: Some Pussyfooting
3 Larks’ Tongues in Aspic: Part I
4 Lament
5 Doctor Diamond
6 The Night Watch
7 The Great Deceiver
8 Guts On My Side
9 Improv II
10 Starless
11 Book of Saturday