Flaming Lips

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flaming Lips

Post by drafsack »

Flying pig437 wrote:WTf is that Is D.Bowie dying shit?
Listen to it before you call it shit
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

nosaj wrote:Heady Fwends album released:

Tracks:
1 "2012″ - feat. Ke$ha & Biz Markie
2 "Ashes In The Air" - feat. Bon Iver
3 "Helping The Retarded To Know God" - feat. Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
4 "Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee" - feat. Prefuse 73
5 "Children Of The Moon" - feat. Tame Impala
6. "That Ain't My Trip" - feat. Jim James
7. You, Man? Human? - feat. Nick Cave
8. I'm Working At NASA On Acid - feat. Lightning Bolt
9. Do It! - feat. Yoko Ono
10. Is David Bowie Dying? - feat. Neon Indian
11. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - feat. Erykah Badu
12. Thunder Drops - feat. New Fumes
13. I Don't Want You To Die - feat. Chris Martin

Read Huff Post interview: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-rago ... 27437.html
Not available in the uk so going to have to use foul means if i want to listen to it
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

"Is David Bowie Dying?" is a superb song!

So...Question...Is it just me or are there any other Flips fans out there that think they need to get back to just making albums? I appreciate the effort, after all Zeireeka was made from wanting to do things differently, but I just don't have the time or money to follow all the stuff their doing these days; i.e. all the collaborations with anybody and everybody on anything, the gummy fetuses, the skulls, the 3-song USB stick, the 24 hour song, etc. etc., etc. They just need to stop in my opinion and write Yoshimi 2! :lol:
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

cwta eugene wrote:"Is David Bowie Dying?" is a superb song!

So...Question...Is it just me or are there any other Flips fans out there that think they need to get back to just making albums? I appreciate the effort, after all Zeireeka was made from wanting to do things differently, but I just don't have the time or money to follow all the stuff their doing these days; i.e. all the collaborations with anybody and everybody on anything, the gummy fetuses, the skulls, the 3-song USB stick, the 24 hour song, etc. etc., etc. They just need to stop in my opinion and write Yoshimi 2! :lol:
There is talk of a new album soon

Here's a quote from Wayne's Pitchfork interview from last week:

We have a lot of material that we're trying to hone down to nine or ten songs. After doing the big double record with Embryonic, we're looking to put out a good 45 minutes of music, songs that have interplay and possess an atmosphere. People have wrongly accused us of abandoning albums. They say, "You're doing all these singles and stuff now." We like the idea of doing both, and the minute you start doing one thing, it makes you want to do the other.

All this time after Embryonic, we didn't know what the fuck we were doing. We thought we were making new music, but being at the mercy of these collaborators means you don't get to really say what your music is going to be. Not that we'd know anyway, but occasionally your mind makes music in a sort of subconscious way. You think, "This is just dumb music, we're not writing a song, we're not planning on using this for anything." We've done that three or four different times. Sometimes, though, it really is something freaky and unique. We've taken a couple of these tracks that we didn't even remember that we did-- just us completely dicking around-- and heard them out of context and were like, "What the fuck is that?" That's the basis of where this album is going. It's very strange: beat-less, synthesizer-like church hymns. Really triumphant, but very depressing at the same time. Lovely suicidal music.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Thanks Drafsack! It's nice to know that even Wayne was thinking along the same lines as myself.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

cwta eugene wrote:Thanks Drafsack! It's nice to know that even Wayne was thinking along the same lines as myself.
You're feeling suicidal?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

nosaj wrote:Heady Fwends album released:

Tracks:
1 "2012″ - feat. Ke$ha & Biz Markie
2 "Ashes In The Air" - feat. Bon Iver
3 "Helping The Retarded To Know God" - feat. Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
4 "Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee" - feat. Prefuse 73
5 "Children Of The Moon" - feat. Tame Impala
6. "That Ain't My Trip" - feat. Jim James
7. You, Man? Human? - feat. Nick Cave
8. I'm Working At NASA On Acid - feat. Lightning Bolt
9. Do It! - feat. Yoko Ono
10. Is David Bowie Dying? - feat. Neon Indian
11. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - feat. Erykah Badu
12. Thunder Drops - feat. New Fumes
13. I Don't Want You To Die - feat. Chris Martin

Read Huff Post interview: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-rago ... 27437.html
There is a blood version of this available if you have $2500 and it has the blood of most the contributors in a plastic sleeve attached to the record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPcF_j8C ... e=youtu.be
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The Flaming Lips will be attempting to break the Guinness World Record for the most live shows in 24 hours (multiple city) on June 27 (Jay-Z currently holds the record)! Two more elaborate shows will bookend the 24-hour tour, with six shorter shows in the middle. Each will be at least 15 minutes, per Guinness World Record guidelines. The shorter shows will have an element of “Hello! We’re here!”

The shows are:

Jun 27 Memphis WC Handy Park, TN (doors 3:30pm, show 4:30pm)
Jun 27 Clarksdale Ground Zero Blues, MS Club (doors 6:30pm)
Jun 27 Oxford The Lyric Oxford, MS (doors 8:30pm, show 9:30pm)
Jun 28 Jackson Duling Hall, MS (doors 12m, show 1am)
Jun 28 Hattiesburg Benny’s Boom Boom Room, MS (doors 5:30am, show 6:30am)
Jun 28 Biloxi Hard Rock Live Wet Spot Pool, MS (pool opens 8am, show 9:45am)
Jun 28 Baton Rouge Varsity Theatre, LA (doors 12:30pm, show 1:30pm)
Jun 28 New Orleans House Of Blues, LA (doors 4pm, show 5pm)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

They did it

MP3 of the shows here - http://wtrns.fr/ThQh3R5r1QROSlg

Video of the shows here - http://wtrns.fr/TaXCjPcN1QyEJWk
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends is now available as a cd but without the Chris martin Track
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

There is now a musical play of the album (+ extra songs) Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

http://www.lajollaplayhouse.org/yoshimi
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Ha, ha, I don't like the Soft Bulletin that much. Embryonic and the DSotM, yes!! Which brings me to the Lips newest project. A cover album of King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King. It is called Playing Hide and Seek with the Ghosts of Dawn. It is more like the curate the album with many guests. I guess the Lips only perform Moonchild. Have a listen:

http://oratoryofsound.com/tag/playing-h ... s-of-dawn/

And here is a sort of review (http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/11/a ... s-of-dawn/):

Over the years, The Flaming Lips have come to represent a lot of things to a lot of people, from curious alt rock oddities to psychedelic-inspired chamber pop superheroes. But of the many feathers that rightfully fit in the Lips’ musical cap, “cover band” is a curious one. For a band that prides itself on reaching further beyond the realm of sanity than anyone, doing a cover record just seems, I don’t know, kind of beneath them.

And yet that’s the territory Wayne Coyne and friends seem content to mine as of late; although to their credit, they’ve raised the bar for covers considerably. The band’s 2010 track-by-track cover of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon proved that a cover album could, with time, effort, and a dash of madness, be more than a half-hearted retreat into laziness. The key is picking your spots.

On Playing Hide and Seek with the Ghosts of Dawn, the Lips again wisely choose their source material, this time taking on King Crimson’s 1969 prog-rock masterstroke In The Court of The Crimson King. The band only contributes one proper track itself, while like-minded musical weirdos Linear Downfall, Spaceface, New Fumes, and Stardeath and White Dwarfs (featuring the services of Wayne’s nephew, Dennis Coyne) do most of the heavy lifting. But while most of the music is contracted out, Hide and Seek still smacks of the Lips’ tweaked brand of psych rock grandiosity from start to finish. It’s loud and out of its mind in stretches, steeped in quaint orchestral beauty in others, and smothered in other-worldly weirdness throughout. In other words, the band does an admirable job of bringing a hallowed classic rock chestnut into its own orbit.

Linear Downfall kick things off with “21st Century Schizoid Man”, which expands upon King Crimson’s acid-washed stoner anthem by pushing it to new heights of overblown space rock weirdness. And yet it doesn’t feel like the band is making a mess of the original, just extrapolating and building upon its best moments. Hide and Seek takes a similar approach to the rest of the Crimson King, from the highly orchestrated opus “Epitaph” to Spaceface’s groove-laden take on “MoonChild”.

As they did on Dark Side, the bands, working collectively under the auspices Heady Fwends, understand they’re working off of a broad palette with Crimson King. But rather than buckle at the thought of messing with one of rock music’s great sacred cows, the bands– with both liberation and a sense of respect– push the line and re-imagine the record for 2012 while still tapping into the spirit of the 1969 classic. In the end, the record ‘s high-minded prog rock is perfect fodder for the Lips’ epic, overtly theatrical brand of indie pop. Even though 43 years have passed since the original’s release, the songs on Hide and Seek do a serviceable job of bridging the gap.

Word has it that Coyne and his Heady Fwends have eyes for tackling other musical dark horses down the road, with titles such as Can’s Tago Mago and The Who’s Tommy being thrown out as their next cover project. Bold choices to be sure, but if Hide and Seek and Dark Side before it prove anything, it’s that the Lips are most in their element doing the unthinkable and venturing where most other bands wouldn’t dare tread. Maybe the world doesn’t need another take on Crimson King, as it’s more or less fully realized as is. But that doesn’t mean there’s not fun to be had in watching one of rock music’s grand court jesters take a far-reaching stab at it.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Flips are breaking with tradition and not playing their new years eve show in Oklahoma this year they are playing The Falls Festival
Marion Bay, Tasmania, Australia
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

what do you guys think of that video of that song w/Erika Badu?

i thought the song was good, the video, uhh...well :twisted: