Drone.

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
mosespa

Re: Sunn O)))

Post by mosespa »

I'd rather listen to Delirium Cordia again,

I've never been so happy that my connection was too slow to play a youtube clip in real time. In fact, the pauses as it buffered actually seemed to ADD something to the song (?) being played. :lol:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Hudini wrote:Sunn O))) is neither sludge nor doom metal. The genre is called "drone metal".
I'd say they are both drone and doom. There are no drone elements in tracks such as 'My Wall', 'The Gates of Ballard' and 'It Took The Night To Believe', but they are all rather doomy.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I'd say doom metal is a lot faster than drone metal, and by "a lot faster" I mean "not that slow". The perfect example of a doom metal band would be My Dying Bride, or perhaps Candlemass.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I've never heard either, but I'd call the likes of Nortt doom metal groups. I've seen him being described as funeral metal, but that's an even more ridiculous term than 'doom'. I have never read any set definitions of doom metal, so I cannot really add anything more to this!

It doesn't really matter. It's just good music.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Drone.

Post by PublicImage »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outside_th ... _Syndicate

The best album of the 1970s? It's definitely in my top five, and I think it is the best album of 1973. I wish Faust would do more like this. No. I wish Tony Conrad would do more like this. But his other experiments are good enough for me (Let's Trade Pants and Joan of Arc are great), so maybe I should just be content with this masterpiece and never hope for more.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I like some repetive music (e.g. Magma), but this is pushing it. No build-up, no tension, no changes, no music. If I want to listen to a broken speaker for 10 minutes, I'll just take one and smash it myself.

All in my humble opinion, of course ;)
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

I've recently been totally mesmerised by Claire M Singer. Her music.

If interested, there's stuff on YouTube, e.g. Wrangham off the Solas album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzV-J58 ... fl&index=3

I think it's legitimate to revive this kind of topic - it just hasn't seen much activity lately, that's all.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

We can all have a competition to see who can resume the oldest thread!!!!