Porcupine Tree

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Porcupine Tree

Post by Beowulf »

FloydCouncil wrote:Yeah, I love every song by PT! (except Dislocated Day). I thought Fear was excellent.

There was this release a while ago, which had an acoustic Stars Die. Thats my favoutite version now! He sang the song beautifully! I think the release was called We Lost The Skyline. If you folks don't have it, you must get a hold of it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Lost_the_Skyline
I will also say that it was your zealous interest in PT that got me interested in them Saad! They really are a very good band and one I enjoy immensely.
Haha! Yeah, I guess my enthusiasm helps people see the light! :lol:

On a more serious note, I've introduced several friends to PT and every single one of them loves the band! They are just that good!

I can remember my friends go wow when I made them hear Train's opening guitar.
So what was your introduction to them? I first heard 'Ambulance Chasing' from 'Recordings' and was astounded that I hadn't ever come across them before. I really like 'Recordings' even though it's another of the odds & sods albums
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Porcupine Tree

Post by FloydCouncil »

The first song I heard was Blackest Eyes, I remember.

What really got me into them was probably Stupid Dream, Dark Matter and The Sky Moves Sideways. Funny thing, I was not that impressed with Blackest Eyes, I found it catchy, but not very impressive. But I love the space-pop in Stupid Dream, the guitar solo in Stranger By The Minute just dances around you!

The guitar in Dark Matter is slow and heavy, and guitar solo feels like a dream! It is so smooth!

However, I went back to In Absentia and I really love Blackest Eyes now! There really isn't a period that I prefer, I really do LOVE the entire discography! :lol:

And Recordings is a masterpiece! Buying New Soul is an AMAZING song! As is the full version of Even Less.

To see my obsession with PT, check out my top artists at Last.fm

http://www.last.fm/user/Floyd_Council

You'll need to scroll a bit down to see them!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

The first I heard was Staircase Infinities, and I followed that soon after by the then newly released Signify. Signify took me a little while longer to get into than SI, but I soon learned to love it. Not long after, I bought a copy of the US edition of The Sky Moved Sideways, which included Stars Die on it. I was hooked, been a fan every since.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

It sounds like we all had very similar experiences

I went from never having heard any to owning 9 or 10 albums in the space of a few weeks!

I've been slowly gathering the remainder now for a couple of years with only some of the more obscure still eluding me. Ironically one of the elusive ones is 'Recordings'!
MyNameIsMud
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MyNameIsMud »

I saw "On the Sunday of Life" on the shelf liked the cover and band name and that was it for me!

I onyl have about 6-7 albums right now but I hope to try and get them all.
With some bands though it's almost impossible to collect all their releases. Just try it with Death In June, Acid Mothers Temple, & Current 93. I think between those 3 bands they must have a couple of hundred releases!!
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

MyNameIsMud wrote:I saw "On the Sunday of Life" on the shelf liked the cover and band name and that was it for me!

I onyl have about 6-7 albums right now but I hope to try and get them all.
With some bands though it's almost impossible to collect all their releases. Just try it with Death In June, Acid Mothers Temple, & Current 93. I think between those 3 bands they must have a couple of hundred releases!!
Well, Porupine Tree haven't released quite that many - but they have certainly been prolific
MyNameIsMud
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MyNameIsMud »

Well, Porupine Tree haven't released quite that many - but they have certainly been prolific
Yes they have been prolific!

I remember the first time I saw Acid Mothers Temple I was going to buy some of their cds and when I went up to the merch table they had so many cds that I was overwhelmed and had to walk away and cower in the corner!! lol!
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Porcupine Tree material has often be hard to get hold of. I was offered a copy of Recordings recently for £85 - far too much for an album that was released as a limited edition of 20,000 copies.

I have a full discography here somewhre; I'll post it when/if I find it
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

There's some awesome stuff on Recordings, including the full-length version of Even Less, which is simply awesome. I had part 2 of Even Less on a CD single for, Stranger By the Minute, I believe, but it's much better having it properly mixed together as a whole. Most of the other stuff on Recordings came from various CD singles, most of which I had before, but it was worth it just for that version of Even Less and of course, Buying New Soul.

Does anyone listen to any of Steve's side projects and collaborations like No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion, and IEM?
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

Does anyone listen to any of Steve's side projects and collaborations like No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion, and IEM?
Me! I actually love all of them! :shock:

I'm somewhat of a Steve Wilson fanatic now. :lol: :lol:

Ofcourse, Blackfield and No-Man get played more often.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

FloydCouncil wrote:
Me! I actually love all of them! :shock:

I'm somewhat of a Steve Wilson fanatic now. :lol: :lol:

Ofcourse, Blackfield and No-Man get played more often.
I particularly like Blackfield too; the recent live DVD was well worth the wait.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Hmm. The Sky Moves Sideways is still the only album of theirs that I have ever really loved, but most of its predecessors tend to have at least one or two brilliant songs (i.e. Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here, which I think is their best song). I would like them more if their albums were more cohesive, but I can never bother to sit through anything other than TSMS.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

PublicImage wrote:Hmm. The Sky Moves Sideways is still the only album of theirs that I have ever really loved, .
I'm pretty much the same Roger. Although I can't say I have listened to a lot their music, what I have done hasn't really excited me greatly although that one album was pretty good.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Stephen wrote:
PublicImage wrote:Hmm. The Sky Moves Sideways is still the only album of theirs that I have ever really loved, .
I'm pretty much the same Roger. Although I can't say I have listened to a lot their music, what I have done hasn't really excited me greatly although that one album was pretty good.
Perhaps you should try 'Stupid Dream' if you haven't heard it, that album feels to me like a good companion to 'The Sky Moves Sideways'
TerminalFrost
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TerminalFrost »

The first PT gig I went to was at the Bloomsbury Theater in London, when they had just released Stupid Dream.

I had been to see Fish play an instore at HMV in Oxford Street a few weeks before and ended up chatting to Steven Wilson after the gig about how awful most Prog was and how I should listen to his band!

Since seeing them that time I've been to see them as much as possible. Stupid Dream is still my favourite album (possibly of all time).