Porcupine Tree

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Porcupine Tree

Post by Beowulf »

TerminalFrost wrote:Stupid Dream is still my favourite album.
And I have to agree that it is certainly one of Porcupine Tree's finest offerings. What I find with Porcupine Tree is that my preferences are very linked to my mood. Sometimes all I want to hear is the long trippy 'Moonloop' (all 43 minutes of it) or the rhythmic pulse of 'Voyage 34 (The Complete Trip)' and on other days I am keen for them to lay a rock track from Deadwing on me. There is such variety in their output (albeit within the rock/prog genre) that there is always something that suits my mood.

Right now I am in the mood for 'Up The Downstair' and 'Lightbulb Sun'. Long may they continue to be prolific and releasing album after album.
pato26473
Axe
Axe

Post by pato26473 »

Hammer, when you listen to "Voyage 34", don't you find that somewhere in the song you get some memories from PF's "Another brick in the wall"? I do!

By the way, I also recommend the double live CD "Coma Divine", it was my introduction to this excellent band, I highly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

For me, their best album I have got (and I only have five) was "In Absentia", the first one I bought.

"The Sky Moves Sideways" is really awesome too. Not quite so keen on "Stupid Dream" or "Lightbulb Sun"; I thought they were good but not great.

Same with "Fear Of A Blank Planet", their newest one. I will have to see whether I can get hold of some of the really early stuff.

My copy of "Stupid Dream" has an extra disc which has, amongst other tracks, a live version of really wicked track called "Tinto Brass"; if only they did more stuff like that, I would be hugely into them. Even so, I am inclined to pick up more of their albums.
henno

Post by henno »

voyage 34 is one of the best trance albums of the 90's...... one of my favs...
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Pat Albertson wrote:Even so, I am inclined to pick up more of their albums.
A slippery slope to poverty; they have been wonderfully prolific - and yes I take the point someone made earlier in this thread about bands/artists not having to release everything they have recorded (but given the appetite for obscure out-takes etc from other bands it seems a strange comment in some ways) - there are many albums and many versions from Porcupine Tree; an expensive hobby it seems! Personally I am seeking a copy of 'Recordings' which was, I think, limited to 20,000 copies when released. Best price I have seen for a copy so far is £25 on Ebay, I think that is probably too much ... but then again I might relent when I am feeling a bit flush with cash.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Hmmmmmmmmm. Yes, they do seem to be in the habit of releasing endless alterate versions of tracks with multiple versions of each different album. I am not so committed to getting their stuff that I would bother to track down every second-rate floor-sweeping that they choose to release. I would just go for the core releases. After all, there is too much other good music out there to waste my money on record company tricks of that nature.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

On the whole I agree, but I have been guilty of buying multiple versions of similar material before so I daresay I will again As much as I love Porcupine Tree's music I do feel they have gone slightly 'off the boil' with Fear of a Blank Planet; sure it is a good album, great even, but it just doesn't quite hold my attention like much of their previous output.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Yeah, I agree it is not fantastic, just pretty good.

Like you, I have found myself shelling out for the same old same old ... I mean to say, I bought Dave Gilmour's new live album, after having at least four versions of just about each track on there. My excuse is ... it was cheap (three disc for about what you would pay for a normal full price single disc).

These record companies are so good at persuading you to buy more stuff that you don't really need and will only play about twice in your life. :(
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Pat Albertson wrote:Yeah, I agree it is not fantastic, just pretty good
However, well worth yet another listen ... as I am right now over breakfast
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

I suppose it's all about what stage you first hear a band ... you're entry level if you will .... I got into PT through FOABP and think it's a gem of an album. I then worked my way backwards tthrough some of their stuff and haven't found an album as good (in it's entirity that is ... I have found masterful indivdual tunes) .. in otherwords

I like some Deadwing
I Like some In Absentia
I Like some Signify

I like ALL Fear Of A Blank Planet

... oh, and I do like ALL of Nil Recurring
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

wiped wrote:... oh, and I do like ALL of Nil Recurring
Funnily enough so do I; and yet 'Nil Recurring' is just the bits that were deemed wrong/too much/no good enough for 'Fear of a Blank Planet' .... odd that, in fact I prefer 'Nil Recurring'

If you haven't heard them I suggest you try 'Stupid Dream' and 'Up The Downstair'. 'Stupid Dream' might particularly appeal to you as you like 'Fear Of A Blank Planet'
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

Porcupine Tree is the best band, ever! The end!

Trains and Stranger By The Minute have never failed to make me feel better!
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Narek wrote:... a video of their new song "Fear of A Blank Planet" the title track. Very truthful message voiced by the video ...

Yes, interesting vid; great song too!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Boy, that Steve Wilson sure has a great reputation for 5.1 mixes. Maybe I should revisit my views and look into Porcupine Tree again.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Check out his solo album from last year, Grace For Drowning...it's excellent! It was influenced by his work on the King Crimson 5.1 mixes.