Porcupine Tree

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Porcupine Tree

Post by nosaj »

In another Porcupine Tree thread, I suggested they were not that great. I think it had a lot to do with my expectations, as they had been described as sounding like Pink Floyd...well, I don't think they do, and I have recently revisited Porcupine Tree on Youtube and think I like them a little bit now. I bought The Sky Moves Sideways a couple of years ago...I will have to find it.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Imagine a band that incorporates the dullest moments of prog rock with the least inspiring aspects of grunge and the most emasculated elements of hard rock. Imagine they have a really really boring singer who looks a tiny bit like Kurt Cobain if Kurt Cobain discovered he really loved programming in C++

Then, imagine that this band's fanbase consists entirely of middle age men and humorless geeks, who truthfully don't have any real affinity with music because they are emotionally underdeveloped,but feel the need to listen to prog rock to win the approval of their fellow mouth breathers. It sounds suitably complex, and these people can only assess music in terms of 'is it difficult to play'.

Just imagine.

Imagine.

rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Been quite a while since you ranted like this. Everything okay, mate?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

rememberaday wrote:Been quite a while since you ranted like this. Everything okay, mate?
Never been better. I appreciate Steve Wilson's remixing of Yes and King Crimson albums, but I don't enjoy Porcupine Tree at all. Yet, Porcupine Tree seem to fill a vast Pink Floyd-shaped hole in a lot of people's psyche, for reasons I cannot fathom.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I enjoy a bit of their music, but they can get same-y. I think they are massively overrated as the "modern prog band".
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Steven Wilson's latest solo album is fantastic.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

my breakfast. wrote:Imagine a band that incorporates the dullest moments of prog rock with the least inspiring aspects of grunge and the most emasculated elements of hard rock. Imagine they have a really really boring singer who looks a tiny bit like Kurt Cobain if Kurt Cobain discovered he really loved programming in C++

Then, imagine that this band's fanbase consists entirely of middle age men and humorless geeks, who truthfully don't have any real affinity with music because they are emotionally underdeveloped,but feel the need to listen to prog rock to win the approval of their fellow mouth breathers. It sounds suitably complex, and these people can only assess music in terms of 'is it difficult to play'.

Just imagine.

Imagine.
:lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Okay, I now have all four Steven Wilson solo studio albums and one live album, Storm Corrosion, all I.E.M. studio albums and all Porcupine Tree proper studio albums, along with Octane Twisted and Voyage 34 (complete)...

I guess you can say I kinda like what Steven Wilson has done over the years. I do find the Porcupine Tree albums, starting with Signify, are hit and miss for me...long songs = hit, short nu metal songs = miss...mostly. Prefer the solo albums more. BUT, it is worth having albums like Deadwing (essentially, an album I don't like much lately).

I have a lot of Steven Wilson mixed albums too...Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Yes, ELP... <.8.>
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

nosaj wrote:In another Porcupine Tree thread, I suggested they were not that great. I think it had a lot to do with my expectations, as they had been described as sounding like Pink Floyd...well, I don't think they do, and I have recently revisited Porcupine Tree on Youtube and think I like them a little bit now. I bought The Sky Moves Sideways a couple of years ago...I will have to find it.
The albums that I like best (e.g. Deadening) are the ones that sound least like PF. The ones that sound more like PF don't have such good songwriting IMHO.