Neil Young Thread

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Neil Young archives

Post by Hogtown »

Well, here it is in three formats: http://neilyoungarchives.warnerreprise. ... epage/link

I am a bit disappointed at the track list so far. Maybe the next volume will be better - I hope it has Time Fades Away!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is buying Vol. 1?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Hate to say it, but blu ray is a huge flash in the pan. DVD is a perfectly usable format, much better than VHS, this whole blu ray thing has "planned obsolesence" written all over it. Wait until DVD technology becomes affordable for the average prole, then invent some other stupid format to keep people paying through the nose.

And the big thing is, all this old footage wasn't filmed in high definition format, it was grubby old 16mm or 35mm or whatever. What is the point? DVD is good enough at revealing the shitty nature of source material, so why bother making it even more obvious? Its stupidity incarnate.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

my breakfast. wrote:Hate to say it, but blu ray is a huge flash in the pan. DVD is a perfectly usable format, much better than VHS, this whole blu ray thing has "planned obsolesence" written all over it. Wait until DVD technology becomes affordable for the average prole, then invent some other stupid format to keep people paying through the nose.

And the big thing is, all this old footage wasn't filmed in high definition format, it was grubby old 16mm or 35mm or whatever. What is the point? DVD is good enough at revealing the shitty nature of source material, so why bother making it even more obvious? Its stupidity incarnate.
You can buy the blu-ray, dvd or cd version. Your choice.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I like thepiratebay choice. =P~

Seriously, I respect Neil Young, and this is an amazing windfall for his fans trying to get all of his stuff in one place, and I like it when artists beat the bootleggers and give us much better stuff than the nth generation audience recording most fans have to put up with.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

I haven't really liked Neil Young in years, so will likely pass. You will notice, you can buy each disc individually.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I agree BlueRay is a marketing scam, just like when they got us to rebuy all our vinyl records on CD... theyve almost put everything onto DVD thats ever been filmed so they gotta find another way to get us to spend
youd think that during a recession as severe as the news tells us this one is, people would rather buy food than replace perfectly good DVDs with BlueRay, but judging by the layout of BlockBuster Ive seen recently BlueRay has found its market (course BlockBusters likely in on the scam too)

anyway good for Bernard Shakey for putting out his Archives, theres a 5minute promo in the Sugar Mountain live album and it looks like its gonna be a pretty slick, multimedia type package
many artists have begun releasing archival material in recent years (though not our lads)
is this the most ambitious Archival release yet?
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

blu-ray is a marketing scam? The players for computers are pretty cheap (they now automatically come with them in most cases anyway) AND they play normal dvds. You don't have to replace your dvds at all.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I don't see the advantage. So what if the disks have more memory? DVDs are over-priced... a double DVD, or triple DVD costs about 20p more to make in aggregate. Blu Ray will do nothing to improve video if the source tapes are old. DVDs get a bad stick because of lousy transfers in the past, or overzealous use of noise removal on video images etc...
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Well, I have noticed most of the recent blu-ray releases are about the same price as dvds upon release these days - in fact I bought the 5 disc blu-ray of Bladerunner for less than the 4 disc dvd...maybe it is just the city I live in.

You have to shop around. I'm not really pro any of these formats. I think there should be one master server with every album, movie and tv show on it in the highest quality possible that everybody can download for free.
CatherineMa14
Hammer
Hammer

Post by CatherineMa14 »

Well as long as it is not of the extreme crapness of 'Landing on Water'. But that is not easy. I do love most of Neil Young. Except that album.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

There’s nothing wrong with Landing on Water, it’s not a great album but it’s not bad. You want to hear his new album Fork in the Road that is really boring. Apart from the titled song which is good, all the rest is about his bloody converted car the guy who converted it and that it doesn’t run on petrol. Oh well fingers crossed Dylan’s new one should be out soon.
CatherineMa14
Hammer
Hammer

Post by CatherineMa14 »

I have been avoiding that album actually. I just think there was so much more he could have done in these albums. But I guess he 'died' early.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

[quote="oldhippy"]There’s nothing wrong with Landing on Water, it’s not a great album but it’s not bad.quote]

I agree with oldhippy. Holy S**t!!
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Hogtown wrote:
oldhippy wrote:There’s nothing wrong with Landing on Water, it’s not a great album but it’s not bad.quote]

I agree with oldhippy. Holy S**t!!
There's a first time for everything. :lol: How many years have we been members on this forum. [-D-]
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

Bravo to us!! I'm too old to remember how long I have been around here...but not as old as you!