Neil Young Thread

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Neil Young archives

Post by danielcaux »

I'm with Breakfast on this one, unless the Bluray releases are marketed at the same price of old DVDs (US$ 9.00) I don't see any reason to make the change of formats. I have been buying a lot more of original DVD recently because they had lowered the prices to afforadable numbers for the average Joe. A pirated 4.9 GB DVD with cheap-ass ink-jet printed cover artwork costs around US$ 2.50, so I'm happy to pay US$7.50 for an original non burned 9GB dual-layer disc with decent artwork. I think the whole music industry crisis is being caused more by the excesively high prices of CD/DVD/BluRays releases than by illegal internet downloads. People here buy pirated DVDs and CDs by the truckloads, and I mean real third world people with monthly incomes lower than a 100 dollars. Why the buy them? Because 1) They don't have internet access to illegally download them, or don't have the knowledge and patience to do it. 2) The prices are affordable and 3) the product is easily available in the street. That's a huge market that the record companies are not taking advantage off because or their retarded greedy and traditional marketing strategies. They would make a hell of a lot more money if the would market commercial music and film releases at lower costs, using cheap packaging, in order to compete with the pirated ones, and alternatively release limited-deluxe-collector oriented editions at regular or higher prices.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Hogtown wrote:
oldhippy wrote:There’s nothing wrong with Landing on Water, it’s not a great album but it’s not bad.quote]

I agree with oldhippy. Holy S**t!!
Hippie Dream is a great song from Landing On Water.

Time Fades Away should be available on cd. I have it on cd...burned from vinyl. It's a good one.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

oldhippy wrote:There’s nothing wrong with Landing on Water
Gosh darn me always drinking coffee when i'm reading this forum. I was so shocked by this statements i just spat a cup out over my crotch in shock and then sytill being in a state of shock did it again with my replacement. Ach well, live and learn

I would say the main thing that's wrong with the album is just how periodic it sounds. It has none of the intimacy and intensity of other Young albums and instead just sounds like the horrendous noises of a masical genius compromising his style like so many greats did in the 80s. As i said in a different thread, i feel it to be the worst album i've ever heard by a brilliant artist
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Neil Young and John Martyn BBC Sessions

Post by Stephen »

I watched these recently and had the foresight to record them too.
Neil Young BBC Session from his "Harvest" period

John Martyn BBC Sessions from 1973 to 2004, various programmes featured including Old Grey Whistle Test and The Jools Holland Show.

Anyone else see these? Draf's place would seem to be the place to go if you missed them :wink:

Here's part of the John Martyn sessions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYCG5wZ9op8
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Neil Young and John Martyn BBC Sessions

Post by zag »

I got John Martyn At The BBC - DVD and "Johnny Too Bad" documentary, I can vine them both in Draf´s place if there´s interest.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Neil Young and John Martyn BBC Sessions

Post by oldhippy »

Thanks Stephen. Incredible stuff. He's sadly missed in this house.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

It is out today.

I like old Neil Young, but I don't know if I like him enough to buy the blu-ray version...Now read this quote I found on the internet surviving members of PINK FLOYD & PFM:

"Each track on the Blu-Ray and DVD versions comes complete with various extras intended to provide more insight into the song. For example, users will be able to click on “The Sultan” – a surf-rock-style instrumental that Young recorded in the early ‘60s with his band, the Squires – and listen to the actual track (a treat in itself, since most fans have never heard it) as well as see a picture of the actual 45 record, photos of the original sheet music, and a snapshot of the band posing in young Young’s bedroom, right around the time the single was recorded.
If that’s not enough, the “Sultan” file includes personnel information about the other Squires members and a video of a modern-day Young looking over the original sheet music.
Now, multiply what you get with “Sultan” with similar offerings found with each track on this first disc, and then do the same thing with each of the other nine discs, and you start to get the picture of what’s being offered on “Volume 1.” The archivists estimate that the set includes some 2,000 pieces of media, ranging from studio recordings and live cuts to photos and videos.
The Blu-Ray version is the one that will surely entice the most ardent of Young’s followers. Not only does it feature the best sound, one that the archivists say is nearly indistinguishable from listening to the actual master tapes, but it also offers a constant stream of upgrades. As new material is found from the 1963-72 period it will be made available to Blu-Ray owners, who can download these pictures, videos and tracks straight to their player for free. These users are alerted to the new material by email."

If PINK FLOYD did this, like WOW <.8.> , eh?
mojoman
Blade
Blade

Post by mojoman »

i'm so excited i'm typing this with my nipples
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

<.8.> That is something I have never thought of!!! Typing with nipples!!!! I had a girlfriend once...anway, I bought this last night on Blu-Ray...It was expensive...very expensive, but it sounds great!!!!! Lots of crazy things you can do while listening to the songs too...Wow.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Hogtown wrote:<.8.> , I bought this last night on Blu-Ray...It was expensive...very expensive, but it sounds great!!!
You act like you're broke than you buy an 80 dollar Neil Young Box! You must really love Neil. Me, too.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

I bought it for $385.00 CDA!!! I have never spent that much on music before...It could take weeks to get through all the material.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Neil Young : Dont be Denied

Post by Hogtown »

I missed this whole thread somehow...Nice.

EDIT: 2066, where are you? Anyway, I did not know about the Devo thing either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Highway
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II

Post by Hogtown »

I bought a used copy a few weeks ago...it seems merely okay, but I will give it a few more spins...Who likes it?
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Cortez the killer - Neil Young

Post by Hogtown »

Love this song!!

I think Roger Waters and David Gilmour have become more Neil Youngish with old age...tell me OAI is not like Harvest Moon...and Leaving Beruit has that long sparse feel...

I think a collaboration between Roger and David today would sound a bit like a Neil Young album.

Cortez is an excellent song!!!!
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Neil Young - Weld

Post by Hogtown »

There is a third disc that goes with these two called "Arc"...get it? Arc Weld.

Anyway, Arc is about 30 minutes of distortion recorded on the tour and mixed together...I guess it is his version of Lou Reed's Metal Machine, only better.

Weld is a very good album.