FM and Nash the Slash

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Re: FM and Nash the Slash

Post by olzen »

Nope. I'd really like to hear that line-up in action as well. I do think it would have been more fitting if they had reunited with Ben Mink, though, but I suppose he's too busy these days. Nash obviously won't do it, considering the statements he has made about FM since the last reunion. A darn shame if you ask me. As is the fact that we probably won't get any new music from those guys.

I do know that Martin Deller has apparently mentioned that they'll be doing CD reissues of the remaining FM albums. Well, the three remaining classic ones, at least. If they actually do release them, that might result in another reunion of sorts.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

What has Nash said about FM since the last reunion? I missed that.

I read an interview with Cameron Hawkwins that said they were working on re-issues of the other albums too, but that was from 2005, so who knows? He did say that the masters for Surveillance and City of Fear were lost when the labels went bankrupt though, so any release they do would have to be mastered from a pristine vinyl copy, which apparently they don't have either.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Check out this interview. I quote:
Nash the Slash wrote:I don't like to talk about FM. They were a minor part of my overall musical career. Ben Mink is very talented and he can play anything. Ben didn't so much change FM as Cameron changed how he wrote. In the early days, I was Hawkwind to Cameron's Supertramp.
As for CD reissues, I know Martin Deller has talked about them more recently, but I have no idea where I read it, nor if it's to be trusted. I'm mainly interested in getting their albums on vinyl, but for the sake of the music getting out there, I really hope it's gonna happen.

EDIT: Found another quite critical quote here:
Nash the Slash wrote:I once tried to show a drummer and keyboard player how to play trippy, psychedelic music. The first album we made was really good but the band soon turned into mediocre pop music. Can you name the group?
Ouch. Poor Hawkins and Deller. His sense of humour is impeccable, though :lol:
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

It was Nash who rejoined that band to make that mediocre pop music (Con-Test and Tonight anyone?) and FM recorded their most decidedly non-commercial album (Headroom) after Nash departed for the first time. I think it's a little unfair the way he talks about FM.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I agree. Plus, lots of his own music is more commercial and poppy than FM's material. Mind you, FM played Dance After Curfew live back in the mid-80's!

Even when they were playing pop, I think FM were occasionally making some great music. As far as 80's new wave-type pop goes, Con-Test is actually a pretty good album. It is only Tonight I can't stand listening to, even though I like the pretty mandolin playing on Dream Girl.

Speaking of Nash, did you hear he's going to be opening for Gary Numan in Toronto in October? If I had the dough for a plane ticket, I would definitely be there.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

That would be cool to see. I can't say that I'm a huge Gary Numan fan, in the sense I don't own any of his recordings, but always enjoyed what I'd heard. Nash has played with Numan before. I love Cry the Clock Said. Just listening to it again now. Haven't heard it in a while. Nash's contributions are minimal but quite eerie and effective in such a minimalist piece.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Just thought I'd pop in again to post this interview since most of it is centered around FM. Hilarious stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4B53aTuDE

As for Numan, "Cry, The Clock Said" is a fantastic song. It's on par with anything on "The Pleasure Principle".
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

So, I ran into an old friend on Friday, and he had just interviewed Nash the Slash last week. It is an online music "television" show!! The kicker is that Nash the Slash thought it was radio, and appears without bandages...it is going to be difficult to get in touch with said friend to post a link...

Edit: Actually, I may have misunderstood my friend, maybe he did not do the interview. Doing a quick search, I found this page. This might be the interview (they show a picture of Nash the Slash, instead of a live image...the two people before are live) - you must scroll down: http://thatradio.podhoster.com/index.php?sid=1070
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

So looks like FM have reformed with yet another new line-up. Cameron Hawkins is as always there, joined now by Paul DeLong (drums) and Ivana Popovic (violin). They're working on a new album, apparently, with a "re-commitment to explore the outer limits of progressive rock, jazz/rock fusion and neo-classical genres." The soundbites of new material does sound promising. Much more in the fusion vein of Direct to Disc than the space rock vein of Black Noise, and none of the commercial 80's crap sound in evidence.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

They were scheduled to perform at this year's OhioProg festival, but that got cancelled due to lack of funding. Since then, there have been no news. I agree that the soundbites showed great promise, so I hope they follow through on this. The four first albums are going to be issued on CD by Esoteric, so maybe we'll see the new FM emerge around the same time?

In other news, Nash has announced he's retiring from music. Bit a downer since he's been working on new music lately, but given his age, I can understand it. He's also closing down the online store, so I guess that just made my "Decomposing" vinyl slightly more valuable...
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I just happened to download a copy of "Direct to Disc" about a week ago. I have never seen it in a store, so felt I had no choice but to download it (it is clearly a needle drop). Fantastic stuff!!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

olzen wrote:The four first albums are going to be issued on CD by Esoteric, so maybe we'll see the new FM emerge around the same time?
Cameron Hawkins seems to have a history of making big announcements, and then nothing...silent for years...so we'll see.
olzen wrote:In other news, Nash has announced he's retiring from music. Bit a downer since he's been working on new music lately, but given his age, I can understand it. He's also closing down the online store, so I guess that just made my "Decomposing" vinyl slightly more valuable...
This is sad news, but I can understand if there's no more thrill in it for him. If you get to the point where you're just going through the motions, it's time to hang up the violin. I didn't see anything about him closing down the store, but I might have missed that. I wrote him a nice thank you note, but sadly it seems he's disable the e-mail link he once had on his site. :(
nosaj wrote:I just happened to download a copy of "Direct to Disc" about a week ago. I have never seen it in a store, so felt I had no choice but to download it (it is clearly a needle drop). Fantastic stuff!!
That is an awesome album. I think the only way you will be able to hear it is by needle drop, as it was recorded Direct to Disc, so there are no tape masters, and I'm not sure they even have the vinyl master anymore. I have the original album on vinyl and last year I ordered a Japanese mini-gatefold sleeve CD. It's a needle drop too, but the quality and mastering job is excellent. I Olzen is correct, then I guess Esoteric will be doing something similar. I already have the limited run CD that Hawkins put out of Black Noise, but I will sure be looking forward to getting Surveillance on CD.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Two FM albums remastered in 2013: Black Noise and Direct to Disc!!!!!!

I gotta get these!!!! <ii> <ii>
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I think they've remastered Surveillance and City of Fear as well. I tried to e-mail Cameron Hawkins to see if I could get an interview, but my e-mail bounced back saying the user's inbox was full. :lol: Oh well. I am still going to pick up all the remasters, even though I already got the 2006 remaster of Black Noise and a dubious Japanese remaster of Headroom. I guess that makes me hardcore. :-;
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

If you're still looking for an interview, you could try Martin Deller instead. The guy is class act; I'd mailed him around a year prior to these CDs coming out, asking how it was advancing. Not only did he reply to that mail - he also took the time to mail me recently to let me know the CDs had been released.

You can reach him at mdeller at boomka.com.