PINK FLOYD ARE/AREN'T A PSYCHEDELIC ROCK BAND!

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff

are them Floyd boys a psychedelic rock band

yes they are
43%
no they are not
43%
oh woww bad trip man
14%

Total votes: 21

jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: PINK FLOYD ARE/AREN'T A PSYCHEDELIC ROCK BAND!

Post by jtull »

Pink Floyd were psychedelic band in the early years imo. Later on they become progressive rock band.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

IMO, they changed so much genres and musical directions that it would be unfair to give them only one label, but at certain points in their career they surely did play psychedelic rock. And progressive rock, for that matter.

But for the most part we seem to forget to acknowledge that Pink Floyd were also a folk rock band throughout their career, as much as they were either a psychedelic rock band or a progressive rock band.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

They were Art Rock band too. During the period 1968-1970 their concerts was full of avant-garde approach to rock.
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

I'd say that the Floyd where a psychedelic rock band from 1967-1969, but after that they definitely switched directions. 1969 might even be questionable, as More has psychedelic vibes, but I don't get that same impression from Ummagumma.
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

I'd say that the Floyd where a psychedelic rock band from 1967-1969, but after that they definitely switched directions. 1969 might even be questionable, as More has psychedelic vibes, but I don't get that same impression from Ummagumma.
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

They certainly began as a psychedelic rock band. Besides the Beatles, they virtually defined the psychedelic sound of the Summer of Love in the UK. From that point forward, they slowly morphed into something different, but there has always been a trippy, psychedelic quality to their music, at least up until animals. You can call them progressive rock during their heyday of the 70's if you want, but they really didn't sound anything like the other prog rock bands of the time. They always had a spacey, trippy quality to their music which helped to pave the way for the evolution of modern psychedelic music. By the time of The Wall, however, that element of their music was abandoned.