Metallica record with... Lou Reed?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Metallica record with... Lou Reed?

Post by moom »

It has been announced recently that Metallica has recorded some studio material with a legendary Velvet Undergrounder Lou Reed. Eh?
The band says they wanted to do something "not 100% Metallica" and are pleased to have such a legend by their side.
Question: how on Earth had they got him and what did they record? Well, I guess the latter will be answered, should any of the sides releasy the material. I'm all ears!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Metallica record with... Lou Reed?

Post by Stephen »

Question: Why would he even want to?
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Lou has made mistakes before..."Original Wrapper" comes to mind.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Rob: That's not a good question, that's a SUPERgood question.

Gus, remember Metal Machine Music?
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Wow ... 2 artists I couldn't give less of a fuck about have recorded together.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

moom wrote:Gus, remember Metal Machine Music?

As a musical statement it is 100% brilliant. Not sure I would want to listen to it, and I'm not sure Lou did either. Good way to burn your bridges.

Alternatively it is the shamblings of a creatively bankrupt junkie who always needed a small clique of sycophantic junkies telling him his sub-Phil Spector bullshit rock and roll music was anything other than ordinary....

But fuck, it gets us talking about 4 sides of vinyl worth of noises. I doubt most of your hipster bands will be talked about this time next year.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I think they played with Lou a couple of years ago when he was inducted in to the rocknroll hall of fame - something like that anyway. You can see a few videos on you tube with lou and metallica playing through white light white heat, sweet jane etc while there is a good chance it may not be lou's finest hour though, i can only assume it will be a more enjoyable package than Hudson Meditations. I reckon Metallica can do some decent music when they're feeling inspired - maybe lou will get something with a bit of depth out of them, and they can give him the energy he has been lacking for about 20 years
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

David Smith wrote:they can give him the energy he has been lacking for about 20 years
Well, if he manages to squeeze the energy they have been lacking for about 20 years out of them, then they can do miracles together.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

he did once do a classic live album using Alice Cooper's guitarists, featuring operatic-metal versions of Heroin and White Light White sounding nothing like anything the Velvets would ever do but still sounding pretty damn good to my ears
maybe its good for him to work with musicians outside his normal style
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

David Smith wrote:I think they played with Lou a couple of years ago when he was inducted in to the rocknroll hall of fame - something like that anyway.
Yes, Hall OF Fame.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Hudini wrote:
David Smith wrote:they can give him the energy he has been lacking for about 20 years
Well, if he manages to squeeze the energy they have been lacking for about 20 years out of them, then they can do miracles together.
I dunno, i don't feel Metallica have lost energy as such - just they are a band who's best stuff sounds a little dated now and who have lost their work ethic a lot meaning that their songs have lost their once organic sounds. Their last album was far too polished. Given the quick turn around of this material though, hopefully they will have reconnected with the metal kick they once had.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Actually, this has begun to sound interesting to me. An official website is up: http://www.loureedmetallica.com/index.php
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

This is more intriguing to me than it should be. On top of the fact that Lou Reed made some of the members of Metallica cry during the album sessions, I'm more than interested in seeing what comes out of this.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

As long as the finished product doesn't reduce listeners to tears....
Stinibobs
Axe
Axe

Post by Stinibobs »

I'll be getting this as Metallica are my favourite band ever, but i'm not sure what to make of it. I guess i'll have to wait until there are some snippets to listen to make a decision :?