Most Underrated Guitarist?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Most Underrated Guitarist?

Post by Beowulf »

flashback wrote:How about Nick Barrett of Pendragon.Checkout his body of work all the way back to the mid-80s.Hell the band needs to be listed in the Most Underated Bands thread.Thier latest output Passion is just great.
Hard to disagree with you there Flashback. 'Your Black Heart' is a fabulous track. Passion is by far the best I've heard from Pendragon.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmy8M0-LoBY

You amateurs...
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

David Hidalgo, Los Lobos. Underrated musician really. He plays just about everything that makes a noise.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Having rediscovered Focus recently, Jan Akkerman seems to be fairly underrated. Now, I know that back in the day, he was rated as being among the world's finest guitarists, but you hardly hear any mention of him today.

I dunno if that's a wrongful impression, though; Focus did enjoy a brief renaissance because of that Nike-commercial using "Hocus Pocus"...
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

I feel that George Kooymans of Golden Earring, didn't get the recognition he deserved. His playing on songs such as Radar Love and Twilight Zone was brilliant in my opinion.
czgibson
Blade
Blade

Post by czgibson »

I don't often hear Joe Pass mentioned in guitar player conversations, which is a shame as he is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjQv52Nzno
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Snowy White. He should have been a major artist or in a major band, not be a sideman.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I agree. If you compare him to Rick Dionzo on "The Wall - Live in Berlin", Snowy is the clear winner, even though Difonzo copies the original soloes note-for-note.

If you watch the DVD, it's also quite clear Snowy is the one of the two who actually wants to be there. Rarely have I seen a guitarist looking as bored as Difonzo does...
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

olzen wrote:I agree. If you compare him to Rick Dionzo on "The Wall - Live in Berlin", Snowy is the clear winner, even though Difonzo copies the original soloes note-for-note.

If you watch the DVD, it's also quite clear Snowy is the one of the two who actually wants to be there. Rarely have I seen a guitarist looking as bored as Difonzo does...
On spotify, there's an anthology of his work. His hit "Bird of Paradise" has very nice guitar work, but it's a bit too Gilmour influenced for me. But, there is lot of very nice guitar on there, and a lot of songs. Songs like "At the Crossroads" perhaps show that he needed slightly better songwriting to make it big, but put him in a band with a classic songwriter, and with Snowy's playing and arranging, they could have been right up there. Of course, he was in Thin Lizzy for a while, but it didn't work out.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Steve Hackett.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

moom wrote:Steve Hackett.
Agreed
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

olzen wrote:I agree. If you compare him to Rick Dionzo on "The Wall - Live in Berlin", Snowy is the clear winner, even though Difonzo copies the original soloes note-for-note.

Really not keen on Snowy White's playing; I've had the misfortune to hear him murder several of Gilmour's classic solos ...
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Barney Kessel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgwe8lSTgw

But I bet a lot of jazzers rate him very high...
What is underrated anyway? Some people think that certain guitar players are god, but in fact they don't even play that well. And when someone won't agree they say he's underrated...
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

flashback wrote:still say it's Andy Latimer,just check this out and see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p15VhqT ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWwt_V-s ... er&list=UL
Yes, it's very good; though I'm not entirely sure how much I actually like it. I mean, I don't dislike his playing, and I quite like Camel. But I'm not at all certain I could regard him the "most underrated" guitarist ...