Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
User avatar
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by Flying pig437 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:23 pm

maglev375 wrote:Follow her on Twitter for such priceless little nuggets as 'before you start a fight with somebody, first take off your trousers'. Inscrutable.
Draw a line with your body. See how it effects you, See how it effects where you are drawing the line. See how it effects the whole world.

& my fav.

Total communication equals peace. Don't be afraid to communicate. Gently and swiftly, with love or through a lawyer

PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 11143
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 2:55 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by PublicImage » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:58 pm

my breakfast. wrote:Yoko Ono's shit only seems to be listened to people as a badge of pride to say "well I can put up with this barage of noise, I'm fucking cool".
I listen to her because I like her voice and her lyrics. It has nothing to do with being "cool" - judging by the almost entirely negative reaction to her here, how could it be cool to praise? It seems like it is more cool to dislike her. But thanks for making stupid assumptions.

It is very easy to post videos of her doing loud wordless vocals and then claim that she is talentless and free of substance. If people don't like that, fine, but don't act as though it is representative of her entire recorded output. Most of her music DOES have lyrics. Interesting lyrics written from the perspective of an Asian woman living in the West during the 1960s and '70s; she might have been wealthy, but she was hardly writing from the same position of privilege as John Lennon. She was immediately scapegoated for no good reason by ignorant white people who thought she was an easy target and didn't want to acknowledge that their heroes McCartney, Lennon and Harrison's ego clash was the real reason for the Beatles splitting up. She put up with so much shit but still managed to write very good songs with empowering feminist messages. It's a shame she was vilified and didn't reach a wider audience.






On the plus side, some people DO appreciate her and she has managed to influence some very good musicians in spite of the Yoko stigma. John Lennon is probably the most well-known. I should emphasise that my previous post was not an attempt to diss him - I like his music a lot and I'm glad that he used his status to help Yoko Ono try to spread her messages (both by helping her to make her albums and by performing her songs, e.g. "Woman is the Nigger of the World").

PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 11143
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 2:55 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by PublicImage » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:21 am

danielcaux wrote:I thought you actually loved Can and Damo Suzuki... :lol:
Haha. This comes to mind:



Among many other Can songs, studio and live. And I love it.

User avatar
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 5133
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 2:36 am
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by J Ed » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:33 am

Follow her on Twitter for such priceless little nuggets as 'before you start a fight with somebody, first take off your trousers'. Inscrutable.
nothing inscrutable about that advice
I actually had a roommate once who did this, the strategy may have saved his life
our downstairs basement dwelling neighbour, who we referred to as "Mr DumDum", was pounding on the door intending to kick my roomates ass in to teach him a lesson he wouldnt forget
so my roommate took off all his clothes then opened the door to say "ye-essss, how can I help you?"
Mr DumDum just stood there with his jaw slack, fist still clenched in midair, before shaking his head and muttering whuffathuckk?!!? and walking slowly back downstairs
my roommates theory was Mr DumDum didnt try hitting him after all because he might accidentally touch his penis, and then what would people say?

User avatar
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 5787
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:53 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Rattle That Lock... Baby!

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by Hudini » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:32 am

danielcaux wrote: Would people complain about the Two Virgins cover if instead of Yoko it was John with a nude Brigitte Bardot?
I know I would, if it still featured a naked John Lennon. Absolutely horrible! I can stand naked Japanese hags, I can't stand naked John Lennon! Brigitte Bardot or Yoko Ono, it doesn't make a difference really.

User avatar
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12079
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:17 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Green Hill Zone

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by snifferdog » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:00 am

I don't think the cover was meant to be erotic. If it was, it's about as erotic as being stabbed in the eye repeatedly with a sharp stick.

User avatar
olzen
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2205
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:34 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Denmark

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by olzen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:50 am

I will say that I actually do like this song by her:



Mind you, that's a remake/remix, but her banshee wails seem to fit better within this context. And of course, I like how she handles criticism :lol:

User avatar
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 4575
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:12 pm
Location: Skating On Thin Ice

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by wiped » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks all for the passionate defence of Ono's output and for posting the many examples of her talent ... if you don't mind I'll stick with my original evaluation.

B-O-L-L-O-C-K-S-O-L-O-G-Y.

User avatar
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by Jack Wolf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:44 pm

PublicImage wrote:Yoko Ono is better than the Beatles. Approximately Infinite Universe is a better album than anything John Lennon ever released under his own name or with the Beatles.
Hahaha, you guys sure are a satirical bunch!

User avatar
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by Jack Wolf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:03 pm

danielcaux wrote: Have you heard that cliché expression "people hate me because I'm beautiful"? Sometimes I feel that in the case of Yoko people just hate her because she is ugly, and on top of that japanese.
That's odd! I thought people hated her because she can't sing worth crap? On top of that, she comes off as being incredibly pretentious. I guess her record company keeps encouraging her to make more music because there will always be a few hundred thousand half-deaf listeners who'll keep buying her albums regardless if it's just her making nonsensical noises with a mishmash of un-tuned terrible sounding instruments.
danielcaux wrote: Would people complain about the Two Virgins cover if instead of Yoko it was John with a nude Brigitte Bardot?
No need to complain about the cover when you have the awful music to contend with.
danielcaux wrote: No. If art for some of you just means entertainment and conforming to status quo conceptions of beauty, well I guess a lot of art is going to strike you as utterly worthless. But art function is also pushing boundaries and fighting the aesthetical status quo. That's the direction Yoko went, along with some other great pop musicians of the XX century like Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Faust, Velvet Underground, among many others, including even the Floyd at some point in their career.

I don't find her wailing any more unerving than some of the things those other artist do. Why nobody complain about Gilli Smyth moaning in the Gong albums from the 70s? Oh because she was french and back then she was sexy and sounded sexy.
I could walk into a slaughter house and make a recording then release it and call it "art", but c'mon, seriously?
Yoko Ono and Velvet Underground shouldn't even be in the same paragraph. The difference here of course is that VU is actually listenable and good for the most part.

User avatar
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 10913
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:17 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Edinburgh - Scotland

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by my breakfast. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:40 pm

PublicImage wrote:I listen to her because I like her voice and her lyrics. It has nothing to do with being "cool" - judging by the almost entirely negative reaction to her here, how could it be cool to praise? It seems like it is more cool to dislike her. But thanks for making stupid assumptions.

Well judging by the endless stream of poser dreck you post on Facebook it seems like you are bored of music as an entity.

User avatar
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!
Posts: 2546
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Abya Yala

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by danielcaux » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Jack Wolf wrote:That's odd! I thought people hated her because she can't sing worth crap?
There are hundreads of successful artists that "can't sing worth crap" (Roger Waters being one of them) but none of them are the targets of so much hate as her. Why is it that nobody complains half as much about the tone-deaf Nico? Most people just hate her because she was the strange and "ugly" wife of Jonh Lennon. For a lot of people it was like watching arian Jesuschrist marrying some not so pretty congolese woman, and on top of that she was a conceptual artist! People want their stars to marry supermodels, pop singers, news presenters, princesses, in other words: good housewives.
snifferdog wrote:I don't think the cover was meant to be erotic. If it was, it's about as erotic as being stabbed in the eye repeatedly with a sharp stick.
Precisely, it wasn't meant to be erotic. But people want nude photos to be erotic, otherwise they can't stand images that reminds them of their own animality. Pubic Hair? Uncircumcised penis? Saggy breast? Oh god please have mercy!

User avatar
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 8256
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:33 pm
Location: Vortex spiral...its cool!

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by nosaj » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Sorry to post this, but the topic title has been bugging me for days...I think just about ALL my ex-girlfriends are the most annoying women ever. :-;

PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 11143
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 2:55 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by PublicImage » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:48 am

I don't see what the problem is with a naked body. It's just flesh, and it is far less offensive than a badly-dressed person.
my breakfast. wrote:Well judging by the endless stream of poser dreck you post on Facebook it seems like you are bored of music as an entity.
I find this attitude pretty weird. Rather than responding to the points made in my post, you find it easier to accuse me and other people of being "posers" and "hipsters" (I cannot remember the last time I saw a post of yours on this forum that didn't use one of those words - where does the obsession with these trendy creatures even come from?), shifting the subject to something unrelated to the main topic. Boring.

You can waste time on cynical posturing as much as you want, but I'm not going to. That is what I am bored of, not music. So bye!

PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 11143
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 2:55 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Yoko Ono Most Annoying Woman Ever

Post by PublicImage » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:00 am

Jack Wolf wrote: That's odd! I thought people hated her because she can't sing worth crap? On top of that, she comes off as being incredibly pretentious. I guess her record company keeps encouraging her to make more music because there will always be a few hundred thousand half-deaf listeners who'll keep buying her albums regardless if it's just her making nonsensical noises with a mishmash of un-tuned terrible sounding instruments.
That certainly is odd. Why would someone hate a person who they consider to be bad at singing? If you are going to defend people for hating Yoko Ono, that is not a good defense. It just makes the haters seem like they have chips on their shoulders and get wound up about inconsequential things which are easily avoided. It's not as if they are forced to listen to Yoko Ono singing.

If you think all of her albums are comprised of Yoko Ono "making nonsensical noises with a mishmash of un-tuned terrible sounding instruments", you evidently have not listened to (m)any of her albums. Unless you believe that words are "nonsensical noises" - if so, you have described your own post with remarkable fluency.
Jack Wolf wrote:I could walk into a slaughter house and make a recording then release it and call it "art", but c'mon, seriously?
Yoko Ono and Velvet Underground shouldn't even be in the same paragraph. The difference here of course is that VU is actually listenable and good for the most part.
Yoko Ono has never done that, as far a I know, so what is your point?

I could name dozens of Yoko Ono songs which are more melodic and accessible than Velvet Underground tracks like "European Son" and "Melody Laughter" (both of which are great, incidentally). I don't know if you would want to hear about those songs, though, since they do not fit into your false narrative about Yoko Ono being defined by "nonsensical noises".